myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Freeride Board recommendations
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
B-Man_6.5

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Freeride Board recommendations Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

Looking for suggestions for a freeride board between 115 and 120L that'll be an easy turning board that I can progress on. I came back to the sport this past season after several years away and plan on using this board next season in the Bay Area. Before I took my hiatus, I was able to hook in the harness and plane in the straps. I just never got to jibing. I would expect that I could reclaim these skills fairly quickly (hopefully) after having already been able to do them. I am 190lbs.

Thank you for any advice.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Freeride Board recommendations Reply with quote

Starboard makes a "Carve" model around that size. Have a look at that.

-Craig

kbmotylenski wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Looking for suggestions for a freeride board between 115 and 120L that'll be an easy turning board that I can progress on. I came back to the sport this past season after several years away and plan on using this board next season in the Bay Area. Before I took my hiatus, I was able to hook in the harness and plane in the straps. I just never got to jibing. I would expect that I could reclaim these skills fairly quickly (hopefully) after having already been able to do them. I am 190lbs.

Thank you for any advice.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are other heavyweights in the Bay Area using ??
AG80

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all the modern freeride shapes are good: JP xcite, Tabou Rocket, SB Carve. You might also want to check out the "freemove" shapes like the Fanatic Gecko, Rocket wide, JP Magic ride, SB Atomic, RRD Firemove, Exocet x-move. They plane early and are easy to jibe. Check out what is available used in your area and demo if possible.
dhmark

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grew up sailing in BA, easiest sailing on the planet for steady wind quality. For responders, the wind is best quality, but conditions are choppy as one goes Berkeley--Crissy--Rio Vista, so the emphasis for recreational sailors would be smooth ride over early planing. My current ride, 2003-4 Fanatic Cross 116 L "narrow" (by today's standards, only 64 cm wide) I would consider the ideal light wind BA board, but would be acceptably smooth ride at 5.0-5.5 conditions for a one-board solution for a heavyweight. Maker in the Gorge (Open Ocean) still making boards with these old school dimensions that I think would work well in BA.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exocet cross 114 is pretty darn versatile. in october it saved some days for me with wind from 12-22. fast enough to plane thru lulls, yet turns nearly as well as a wave board. rides smooth, planes early.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
B-Man_6.5

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the recommendations! I'll research those boards and I think I'll try some demos at Boardsports and probably invest in a lesson or two when the season begins to get started on the right foot and advance the progression.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really look into the FreeWIde catagory, Magics, Atom, RocketWide, Gecko type boards.
We have a 118 Magic Ride which is fantastic from 5.5 to as big as we own, sails smooth in 5.5 conditions, jibes better than anything.
Couple that with something like a FSW 100-105, and you have a quiver for everything except pure waves and over 40 mph winds.
J64TWB

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would 2nd the free move category. I have the Magic Ride 104 and it works great for flatter water, small chop. It is my main board for 4.7 - 7.0, but I am only 135 lbs. I don't know how rough the SF bay can get, so take that into consideration - depending your launch.

This board is great in all aspects. It's fast, super quick to plane, easy to control and very smooth. My only complaint is I wish I could cut a real tight gybe. Maybe the design is more forgiving at the expense of sharp rail to dig in? That being said, it is one of the easiest to gybe, just not hard.
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like my Rocket 125. You are 15 lbs lighter, and sail in a windier location, so I would recommend a Rocket 115.

Fire move 112 would work as well. But I would go Rocket.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: