myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Choosing my next sailing path
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brazwind

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Choosing my next sailing path Reply with quote

I'm about to choose my path in windsurfing(raceboard, slalom...) and I have no idea what to do, so I would really apreciate your help.One aspect that I most enjoy about sailing in general is the idea of using one equipment for every wind conditions, I really enjoy having to adjust my equipment to perform better in various wind conditions, so Raceboard might be a good idea.But the problem is that I don't like those 400 liters boards they just seems too "boaty" for me, i would like something that performes better wen the wind picks up. RS:X is not an option because I don't really enjoy that foiling concept for the future and here where I live an RS:X is just unaffordable. the obvious answer for me are the hybrid boards, like the RS:One, phantom 295, mistral prodigy, etc. But other aspect that I like about sailing is competing, taking part in national and world championships, and by looking at some raceboards championships videos and photos i don't really see any hybrid board.So, are hybrid boards competitive but i'm not seeing it?is there any one design class that suits me?if there isn't, wich windsurf discipline should i take?

by the way, a few personal details
weight: from 60Kg to 70Kg
sailing spot: Rio De Janeiro, Brazil
coachg

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kona.

Coachg
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kona One Design class.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/konaonecommunity/
See also https://www.facebook.com/Konawindsurfing/

I'm a big Kona fan. I love the simplicity of using just one rig that fits my weight class and still being as competitive with 65 kilogram sailors as with 100 kilogram sailors.

I think everything about Kona equipment is useable by a wider range of people than the Raceboard or RS:X classes. For one example, you don't need a down haul winch to get the proper down haul tension for most wind conditions. The sails are very tunable. The boards are user friendly enough to be used as beginner boards and exciting enough to be raced internationally. (We had over a hundred sailors at the Kona Worlds in Islamorada FL a couple of weeks ago, representing 7 countries.)

Kona class racing is more fair for a wider range of sailors than any other sailing class that ever existed because there are different sail sizes for different weight ranges with all sailors using the same board & fin.

Kona boards, sails, masts, booms & fins are all less expensive than Raceboards or RS:X equipment. Booms must be aluminum. Masts can't be more than 75% carbon. Everybody uses the same board & fin. You can use any mast that is 75% carbon or less. You can use any aluminum boom. Each sailor uses the Kona sail size that fits the sailors weight range. The weight ranges & sail sizes are: below 65K (6.6), 65K to 74K (7.Cool, 75K to 84K (8.2), 85K to 94K (9.0), 95K & up (9.Cool

A few years ago I switched to Kona racing from racing a Mistral Equipe in the open class because the Kona is easier to sail and I wanted to get away from all of the open class decisions about which fin, boom, mast, sail & board to use for a particular race. The decision to switch to Kona was definitely the right one for me.
Brazwind

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be wrong as I don't really know a lot about windsurfing and the Kona so correct me if I'm wrong but what I didn't liked about the kona is that they seems to focus too much on the simplistic factor than the racing one, like there's no adjustable mast track, no adjustable downhull, only 4 foot straps instead of 6 like other hybrid boards.I understand that kona was made to be usable at every windsurfing level but I was thinking about something more focused on performace but not soo much that it becomes esxpensive and unnacessible(like RS:X).RS:One or starboard phantom 295 seems a good idea, but I don't know if there will be lots of reginal and international competitions for this kind of board and the thing that I would really hate is to spend all my money in one aquipment and not be able to compete because I'm the only one using that kind of board.
Darbonne

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to a Kona event, charter a board and see how you like it. There is a huge focus on racing. The courses are tough and the sailors are skilled. If nothing else you will probably have a great time and meet some cool folks.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sailed the Kona and the Phantom 295. Both can be fun, but the only board I'd consider buying is the Kona (it is on my wish list). Here in the US, you can find a bunch of Kona competitions, but I have never heard of a Phantom 295 competition.

Some of the differences you noted come from the different design. On a race board, you have to move back as you get faster to shorten the water line, so you may need 10 foot straps. The step tail on the Kona shortens the waterline on the back when you start planing, so there's no need to move around nearly as much. Fewer foot straps work fine, and you don't need that adjustable mast track, either.

Compared to a modern race board, you'll definitely loose some performance. But you also get a much more robust board for less than half of the money that's you'd have to pay for a competitive longboard.

When it comes to racing, though, the biggest advantages the Kona has over longboards is the handicap system and the no-pumping rules. Sail sizes based on weight let just about everyone be competitive, regardless if they are light or heavy and regardless of wind. On race boards, you'll mostly see small or really skinny people in the top ranks, especially on lighter days.

But you'll have to check what kind of competition is going on in your area. It's a bit pointless to get a Kona for racing if there are no races in Brazil, unless you can travel a lot to the US and Europe. Without local races, you may be better off getting into freestyle. You got a few of the world's best spots in your country, including Jericoacoara where you can see many of the best freestylers of the world (and learn from them). Freestylers also tend to stick with just one board and one or two sails whenever possible.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check the exocet web page listed below.

one of the best boards for racing performance is the rs 380 elite. has all the goodies.

http://www.exocet-original.com/rs380-elite.php

matching sail: aerotech dagger

http://www.aerotechsails.com/dagger.html

keep in mind when using on the fly adjustable down haul that you really only have 1-3 cm of luff length to play with. if one slacks off d/h too much with virtually ANY cam sail on the market you will break batten tips.

adjustable out haul far more useful. boom height and base placement is more important too. seen lots of broken batten tips around. not sure the sailors get enough benefit to offset the expense.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
konajoe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Brazwind! I there any windsurf racing in your area. If so, what kind of racing, and what kind of equipment?

Are there any windsurfing national championships in Brazil. If so, what equipment is used?
Brazwind

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, about the kona it isn't really a thing here in Brazil, actually i've never seen one. The competitons that usually happen here are mostly raceboardand RS:X, a bit of formula experience and slalom
konajoe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can probably eliminate slalom and formula, since they're not 1 board 1 sail. The fastest people always have lots of gear, and keep it up to date. (It's always funny that the people with the best gear claim that gear doesn't matter.)

I'm curious about a few things. Why did you refer to RS:x as foiling? Also, your use of the word hybrid seems a little different. I think of hybrids as very wide boards with a formula outline with more flotation and a centerboard. Some of the boards you mention seem to be race boards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: