myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Drain the swamp or different alligators?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 39, 40, 41  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too funny. Under Elaine Chao, Labor throttled back on enforcement of safety regulations. Bush also appointed a mine owner to the board of the Mine Safety group. The result? The worst mine disaster in decades. McConnell and his wife have done nothing but hurt miners and working people--but that's the kind of de-regulation fools like Matty like. Bigger and meaner alligators. More profits for owners.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boggsy, I'm glad you are making a lot of money. I know that's what is important to you. This from today's WSJ......

"The federal government is on track to forgive at least $108 billion in student debt in coming years, according to a report that for the first time projects the full cost of plans that tie borrowers’ payments to their earnings. The report, to be released on Wednesday by the Government Accountability Office, shows the Obama administration’s main strategy for helping student-loan borrowers is proving far more costly than previously thought. The report also presents a scathing review of the Education Department’s accounting methods, which have understated the costs of its various debt-relief plans by tens of billions of dollars."

More handouts, more burden on sensible taxpayers, more Administration incompetence, more bungling government workers. The prospect of smaller government, getting out of the way, is fueling market optimism.........not the prospect of continued Fed accommodation. Quite a change!
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'mon Mr. G....you criticized me for only doing the market on fire bit when Obama was in charge...now I'm a doing a giant Trump fist bump, and I get no props??? Sad
mrgybe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that post was a giant fist bump for Trump, I'll be fascinated to see a post that is critical!
mat-ty

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
Too funny. Under Elaine Chao, Labor throttled back on enforcement of safety regulations. Bush also appointed a mine owner to the board of the Mine Safety group. The result? The worst mine disaster in decades. McConnell and his wife have done nothing but hurt miners and working people--but that's the kind of de-regulation fools like Matty like. Bigger and meaner alligators. More profits for owners.

Mac take a nap. Sit back and watch the economy take off like it should have 7.5 years ago. Now we have a president that understands business, not the empty suit punk you voted for.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
If that post was a giant fist bump for Trump, I'll be fascinated to see a post that is critical!

I'm conflicted....you know that. I will be sad to see all the hard right policies take hold over the next four years, but since I'm a money grubbing scoundrel, I will have to take solace that my kid's college years, and my windsurfing/skiing retirement has been paid for in the past 23 days.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In view of your life altering gains, perhaps you should be a little more gracious about Trump's picks, particularly in light of your pre-election predictions of the market catastrophe that would occur if Trump won. Would you prefer people that know nothing about the arena they are about to change? I'm reminded of Gruber. A pompous, puffed up academic, so used to fawning students adoringly listening to his pearls of wisdom. What a clever and confident figure he cut as he described his central role in Obamacare..... until the harsh light of reality hit his comfortable academic world and he looked like a weak fool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8St-As2Zqsw

President Obama surrounded himself with inexperienced people like this. I'm prepared to give people who actually know something a chance, provided strict conflict of interest rules are applied.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you didn't read my original post, or posts...I think Mnuchin, and Romney are good picks. Wilbur Ross could go either way...I will make the best of whatever hand I am dealt....Speaking of life altering gains, UNH is up 30 BUX since Nov 9th? I guess when you boot 20,000,000 deadbeats off the rolls, its quite profitable!!!
mac

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with this:

Quote:
provided strict conflict of interest rules are applied.

and then I would ask folks to compare the conflict of interest policies actually applied by Obama and by Trump. In light of the claims about people who know something being appointed by Trump, perhaps we should look at his Secretary of Education. She sounds markedly similar to that community organizer elected POTUS in 2008--an advocate without experience. The kindest thing you will read about her is on USA today--which notes that her husband shipped more than a thousand Michigan jobs to China: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/11/23/5-things-know-trumps-education-secretary-pick-betsy-devos/94360110/

But conflict of interest? Seems like she has some:

Quote:
A New York Times profile of Donald Trump’s nominee for secretary of education, Betsy DeVos, introduces her “as a philanthropist, activist and Republican fund-raiser,” who has spent 30 years, “push[ing] to give families taxpayer money in the form of vouchers to attend private and parochial schools, press[ing] to expand publicly funded but privately run charter schools, and try[ing] to strip teacher unions of their influence.”

Unmentioned in the profile is that she has attempted to personally profit from the policy changes she has pursued. Financial disclosures made during the failed 2006 Michigan gubernatorial campaign of her husband, Dick DeVos, reveal that the couple owned shares of K12 Inc., a company whose core business is the management of public for-profit online charter schools. While the financial disclosure document specifically mentions the DeVos’ joint ownership of assets, it does not reveal the quantity, type or value of shares the couple held in the company.

Bigger alligators.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
mrgybe wrote:

I'm conflicted....you know that. I will be sad to see all the hard right policies take hold over the next four years, but since I'm a money grubbing scoundrel, I will have to take solace that my kid's college years, and my windsurfing/skiing retirement has been paid for in the past 23 days.

You're making me feel poor Boggs! Please send some cash my way. Do you think that the market would have this reaction if Hillary had won?

There is one YUUGE FLY IN THE OINTMENT. Rapidly rising interest rates.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Page 3 of 41

Jump to: