myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Adding Daggerboard to an SUP
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if WindSUP users actually feel this is necessary and worth the PITA
then I hope board designers are listening !!!

I, on the other hand, have replaced my gasket on my MEQ2/Mistral Equipe
and no longer put the dagger back in Smile

great for BAFFing just like that !!!
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what else needs said?

other than ??? why hasn't this been a number 1 bestseller around the world? answer: maui mindset.....

http://www.exocet-original.com/files/sup/Exo16-windsup-10-and-11-8-FR.pdf

http://www.epicgearusa.com/

Last edited by jingebritsen on Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:23 am; edited 1 time in total
rollerrider

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUP boards are not constructed to take windsurfing loads. They are basically just big surf boards. And the hull shape will never plane or sail well. Lots of reasons not to. Sell it and get a real wind sup board. You would have a better chance selling it as is than if it had a dagger board that most people don't want.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggerboards are for raceboards with big boxy parallel rails for sinking the leeward rail and cutting upwind.
Or for beginner boards to keep from getting blown downwind while learning. To have one put on a SUP to me is kind of pointless. You could install a fin box and have a center fixed fin but it will probably get busted off the first time you run aground.
JPonHudson

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me provide a little more context. I am comfortable digging the rail on the SUP but I don't see it super effective in going upwind perhaps because the SUP's rails are round.

The reason I am thinking of getting something with a daggerboard is because the river I want to use this board on is very tricky with tides frequently changing wind and chop, big boat wakes ect. in other words, I need all the advantage I can get especially considering limited number to places to "crash" land and do the walk of shame... After reading the comments, I began to think of finding an old Mistral Prodigy because of its a sharp rail, rugged build and centerboard might be a better choice. What do you guys think of that choice.

BTW,
For less tricky launch sites I used to use Go 171 from which at the end of last season I switched to Gecko 146 which will be my weapon of choice from this point on.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A WindSUP without waves to play on offers a spectacle just slightly above drying paint.
If you want to go places get a raceboard WITH centerboard.
JPonHudson

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would Mistral Prodigy fit the bill?
jirvin_4505

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:05 am    Post subject: Gecko 146 Reply with quote

JPonHudson wrote:
......snip.....
BTW,
For less tricky launch sites I used to use Go 171 from which at the end of last season I switched to Gecko 146 which will be my weapon of choice from this point on.

OTT. What differences have you found upgrading to gecko 146?

cheers Jeff
Ps. The ‘new is old’one design looks like a great sUP with centre board
bred2shred

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, a year and a half later and you still haven't made a decision on this one?

Yes, a Prodigy would be an OK board. They were intended as something of a "do it all" type board because they were short (by longboard standards) but longer than a "short board", relatively wide for early planing, and had a centerboard. So yes, they are good lake/river boards for light to medium wind in planing and non-planing conditions.

Keeping your SUP for paddling around on zero wind days and getting the Prodigy for days when you want to sail seems like a better approach than hacking holes in your SUP.

As others have said, SUPs are really best suited for wave sailing on light wind days or paddling around without a sail. For flat water sailing, there are much better boards to choose (traditional long boards, light wind formula/free-formula boards, or a board like the Prodigy).

sm
jamieinnyc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, get an Exocet Windsup if you want to do the things it does well, which is a lot, likely. But I have been considering this question not for waves or for x-over but for light wind days - specifically for race sups, which have great glide. Can't find an old D2 board here in the US, and though my old Superlight is good, a 14' race sup would almost certainly be better. And used sups are plentiful (though the 14' ones not so much). Building a plywood & foam centerboard trunk would not be complicated, and installing it would be similar replacing a powerbox, really - just a lot bigger. Lately, though, I've considered skipping the centerboard and installing a deep tuttle box for a foil, making something like the Slingshot Flyer 380. Much simpler build...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: