myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
fellow from Florida wrote to me ... who there can help
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: fellow from Florida wrote to me ... who there can help Reply with quote

My man is 120K, 6'1 and not losing weight anytime soon HOWEVER is getting back to boogie boarding and shared his passion for windsurfing. He can not wait to attempt this again and would love seeing his dream to fruition. YEARS ago he broke his mast in the surf and never replenished his gear as family needs were a priority SO what should he start with??

also...what do you think of those INFLAtaBLE windsurfing boards? See them sold for a bit under 500.00 from hammacher (dot) com . I think this sport keeps you young!!!!!

P.S. we live in Florida, (Stuart area) LOTS of windy days as of late, he would LOVE to try this again. Any suggestions greatly appreciated please feel free to text supply stores, shops and what board i can get him THANKS!! JUST starting my research. 772 913 4833 (google phone)
------------------------------------
i suggested lotsa litres and wide, but then i am unfamiliar with that area
if you prefer e-mail seems to be sisbe69@gmail.com Brenda
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at 120K, he needs something big to get back into windsurfing. If he was really accomplished before, a large lighter wind slalom board.

But probably, a Kona would be a great place to start.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know squat about big boards, but I know a LOT about nutrition and its effects on our bodies. Unless he's a body-builder at 6% body fat, I gotta ask, "Why is he not losing weight any time soon?". Obese people can safely lose 3-5 pounds of fat per week AND improve virtually all their health biomarkers AND feel GREAT just by going into ketosis. If it's good enough for world class Tour de France racers and Iron Man triathletes and for the 700 pound man who shed 550 pounds in one year while improving his health and feeling better every day, it's good enough for a wannabe windsurfer who wants to eat 'til he's full at every meal AND shed 70 pounds by midsummer AND feel the best he's felt in decades AND improve his health VERY quickly.

If we could put the scores of keto books into one sentence, it would be, "Stop eating all that damned sugar." It's killing Americans by the millions, and it's up to each of us to fix the problem for himself, because the government just keeps pushing sugar upon us like crack dealers, largely because of the grain lobbyists. I once asked Delta Airlines to provide me with a diabetic meal to see if it was any healthier than their usual tray full of sugar. What they delivered was six large servings of pure sugar: a muffin, a bagel, a banana, a bowl of cereal, a cup of fat-free milk, and one cookie containing more sugar (37 grams) than I eat in an entire week. A meal like that could damned near kill a diabetic. I sent it all back and ate the actual FOOD I now carry on all flights.

It took windsurfing to persuade me to try out a gym for the first time a dozen or so years ago in my early 60s. If your bud thinks he can muster up similar motivation, I'd suggest buying something large and cheap for now, then downsizing in proportion to that large trail of carcinogenic lard he can leave behind himself if he really wants to.

OTOH, when our commanding officer ordered a lieutenant to lose 30 pounds or face a court martial for being overweight, the lieutenant just unbuttoned his uniform shirt and flexed. He was a massive, highly ranked body builder. Ya never know.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok - Kona One is 70 cm wide and 220 liters

what about something like a Kona Hula ??
264 liters and 294x87.6 cm ??

the designer Tinho Dornellas of Calema sports is actually not far up the Florida coast ..

besides calema Sports, there must be other places to take lessons, rent stuff, etc - along the East coast of Florida ???

once windsurfing, the weight loss and nutrition will come naturally ...

Last edited by joethewindsufa on Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old bud was same height and 275 lbs.
Started on a Marker 1 at 205 liters, and after 4 months switched to the 133 liter Seatrend, which he said he could uphaul at his 275 lbs and 3 mil wetsuit.
He just needs a 160+ liter board.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another bud, Dave Megasey, former middle linebacker for Arizona Cards, weighed 265 as a 36 year old, and used a Kinetic 135 liter board for good winds, and a hifly 175 for marginal days at Berkeley.
dmilovich

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on the Calema Boards suggestion by Joe. Tinho knows his stuff. He also has a nice rental operation with lots of high volume boards to try right there at the rental operation, including freeride and freerace boards. I was just there a few months ago and had a great time, switching gear and trying different combos of sails and boards.

Great idea to go see him!
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some folks are big, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they aren't athletic. Just consider Dave White from the UK. If you've got the athleticism, all is good.

As far as Tinho Dornellas, some years back I saw a few videos where he had a series of wide high volume custom designs that seemed to have all the features that big folks could excel with. The real plus was light wind efficiency.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinho knows how to design for bigger riders in lighter conditions, he'd be the one to ask.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
He just needs a 160+ liter board.

at 220 pounds i started with a 160 liter/80 cm wide board
which was perfect for that weight

with more weight, I would guess 180+ liters and perhaps 90+ cm wide
just for that easy flotation - once past , should be able to sell

Tinho's Z boards and the Kona Hula are definitely in that range ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: