myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Adjustable Outhaul - Single Sided Sailworks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mamero

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Adjustable Outhaul - Single Sided Sailworks Reply with quote

I just found what looks to be a single sided Sailworks Adjustable Outhaul in a Sailworks Retro sail bag. I have no idea if this thing is complete or not or, how to rig it with a typical Chinook 3 pulley outhaul block.

I've been toying with the idea of an adjustable outhaul for use with my new Futura and 6.0 to 7.5 Retros. I've never used an AO so not sure if it would be worth while figuring it out. I don't see a single side AO listed on the Sailworks site anymore.

So what should be included with this thing? I only found the main camlock buckle piece. It looks new. How do I rig rig it? Is a single sided AO worth while? Anyone have experience sailing with this?

Thanks.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes use it on one of my big booms, but I find it hardly worthwhile except maybe for course slalom courses, which I seldom sail.
Loose out is good for downwind angles but is imprecise and vaguely slower to pump onto a plane. Lazy sailors might like loose out for early planing, but it needs to be tightened for close an up sailing.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should also be a small block and some thin flexible line. They work best with a clew pulley but you can rig them without, there is just a bit more drag.
Bruce thinks they are essential to get the most out of the Retro and I kind of agree.

Also you can't really adjust them under load you need to sheet out a little.
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://vimeo.com/83236022

Coachg
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AO is good for fine tuning for most sailors if they like to get the mosyt out of their gear.

positive out haul, however slight, improves pumping and cornering. less to negative out haul helps with gliding thru lulls or sailing at extreme angles off the wind.

is it right for one sailor vs another? depends on the individual.

if you have one, and are curious, give it a go.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I used to race formula, I still have AO/two sided on my sails from 6.6 to 9.2. They can still be pretty helpful on the bigger sails in changing wind conditions or when I sail my formula board and want to point high and run deep, but on my 6.6 and 7.4, they don't get very much use. I just don't find much of a need to adjust them while free sailing.

Since I have dedicated booms for all those sails, no need to mess with the AO if changing sails. I did that a few times early on and had to untie, lengthen or shorten the lines when using a boom for more than one sail. A pain in the butt.
mamero

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So changing sail sizes on the same boom is a PITA with and adjustable outhaul?
mamero

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
There should also be a small block and some thin flexible line. They work best with a clew pulley but you can rig them without, there is just a bit more drag.
Bruce thinks they are essential to get the most out of the Retro and I kind of agree.

Also you can't really adjust them under load you need to sheet out a little.

No block or flexible line found. I do however have the printed Sailworks page for the system. The setup up instructions and diagram make no mention of the extra pulley(s) either way. It only shows the cam lock buckle and some rope. It also does not mention how to rig the outhaul using the boom's pulley system. Are these just an omission or is there a difference between a single and double sided adjustable outhaul? The current Chinook and Sailworks Adjustable Outhauls advertised do include extra pulleys. I wonder if that pulley is required when using a single sided adjustable and/or triple pulley clew block? Or, only for double?

BTW, WHY are adjustable outhauls so expensive!? 70-90 bucks seems pretty steep for what you actually get. It's just basically a couple cleats (or cam locks) and a couple pulleys. The rest is just rope. It seems one could easily source a couple cam locks and a couple pulleys for far less money. Downhaul rope for the rest? Yes/No?
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, over priced. The only piece that is unique on my set up is the clamp/cleat unit that wraps around the boom arm about 18" from the back harness line attachment point. Also, a boom end with two pulleys is best for the least resistance.

When you change boom lengths for different sails, the outhaul lines from the boom cleat to the sail clew can become either too short or too long. If the boom adjustment is small, maybe the line length will work without any adjustments.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without the pulley you don't have as much purchase so it'll be hard to adjust, but not impossible by any means. The way I've rigged singles isn't a pain to adjust but you do end up with some excess line, the doubles are more of a pain and for those I use a clew pulley.

Downhaul line is pretty stiff so it'll be draggy. 3mm spectra would be better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: