myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Mistral Superlight Retractable Fin Assembly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
k9bj

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Mistral Superlight Retractable Fin Assembly Reply with quote

I just got a vintage Mistral Superlight that is in great shape. The problem is the retractable fin was not assembled. I seem to have all the parts: the fin with metal pins, the cassette, the two black spacers, the four set screws, the spring. My questions to the experts are: what is the assembly procedure for the parts, where can I find a drawing of the assembly or a manual for the Superlight. I am also curious if any of the current windsurfer dealers like Isthmus would have a vintage Mistral expert and parts. I tried to attach a picture of my parts with no success. Either the assembly is not intuitive or I have some incompatible parts.

I prefer not to epoxy the fin in the cassette or replace the whole assembly if possible.

Thanks in advance for your help.
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get your pain. I have one assembled and one un-assembled fin & cassette in front of me, and helping may be a challenge, that is unless I disassemble the one that is together. However, the cassette is cracked in many places and I have glued it in such a way that I cannot take it apart.

However, I will see if I can offer a few hints.

1. Hold the cassette with the fin up (upside down).
2. The two L shaped black inserts go down to the bottom in the boxes just below where the fin meets the cassette. The two holes in each L are at the bottom.
3. The other two black "pegs" insert into the cassette and fill in the gap left by the initial L's that you inserted.
4. The four pins with threads at the top, screw into the cassette so that the pins at the bottom, insert into the L's you first placed in the cassette.
5. The white plastic gismo with a hook at the bottom screws into the second hole from the back of the box. The spring connects the fin to the hook.
6. The two larger bolts hold the cassette in the box.

What I don't know for sure is the order of assembling all the parts, but if I guessed,

1. assemble the black L pieces and the black pegs around the fin, plus attach the spring to the fin BEFORE inserting the fin unit into the cassette.
2. Also, insert the white plastic part with the hook into the box before inserting the fin unit, hooking the spring loop over the white hook as the fin goes down into the cassette.
3. The four screws with pins at the bottom hold the fin assembly into the cassette.

Hope this works.

Be careful with the unit. I don't leave it in my board and don't set the fin on the ground once inserted in the board. The plastic is old and it will break easily if you aren't careful with it, not the fin, but the cassette.
RaceboardDude

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only thing to really add to that is that the black plastic pieces have to be compressed to fit down flush into the cassette. Spring on first. Center the black plastic pieces on the fin pivot pin and squeeze together on each side while applying light downward pressure. Fin assembly then drops down into recess on each side and fit set screws to keep in place. Way back in the day this was a common Superlight operation. What usually happens is that the set screws eventually corrode in place or the inserts strip so next time only a small part would need to be replaced, a new cassette is required. Superlight fin parts are long gone now though someone might still have a secret stash.
k9bj

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the concise and timely replies. I realize now that the black plastic parts are broken and not all there. Since they are not available I will fabricate two small plates than can be screwed into the top of the cassette to hold the fin inside and allow it to rotate and retain the retractable feature. Amazingly Menards had stainless metric pan head screws that fit the threaded brass inserts in the cassette. At least it won't have a gloppy load of fiberglass or epoxy slathered all over it.

Thanks for helping me resurrect this old time machine and get some more time on the water. Now lets see how it does with an 8.0 in 30 knots. Maybe it will vaporize when it planes Back to the Future style.
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Superlight was/is one of the best light wind racers ever made, but it essentially doesn't plane and is a hand full in 15 knots with a 6.5. I also have the racing dagger board (about twice the size of the standard), plus the racing gasket for the dagger.

I have raced it against many longboards in winds under 10 knots with the original 6.? Dacron regatta sail and it still kicks butt against much larger sails.

I bought mine new in 1984/85 and still sail it on a few occasions.
RaceboardDude

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.windpowerwindsurfing.com

Usually have some vintage Mistral parts not listed on website so worth a call.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: