myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Chinook head for Fiberspar boom?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Chinook head for Fiberspar boom? Reply with quote

Aloha!

I do like my Fiberspar Posigrip 170-218 carbon boom except one thing. At low temperatures it is getting hard to take boom off an SDM and even harder from an RDM attached through shim. The clamp there is not pivoted so when plastic becomes more rigid at low temperatures it feels like something is about to snap.

So I thought that replacing the head with chinook might work:
https://chinooksailing.com/index.php/windsurf/booms/boom-parts-accessories/pro-1-boom-head-complete.html

It should make rigging easier as well. Somehow I need to figure out that the diameters match. That's a good question. Would be glad to see any input.

Thanks!

Andrei
ctuna

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:44 pm    Post subject: Think about a streamlined boom head Reply with quote

Think about a streamlined boom head.
It will be stiffer.
Another thing is the fiber spar twist locks need
to be replaced about every year or two.
I got so tired of the boom loosing its outhaul adjustment
because of twist locks slipping.

Last edited by ctuna on Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Think about a streamlined boom head Reply with quote

ctuna wrote:

I got so tired of the mast loosing its outhaul adjustment
because of twist locks slipping.

Thanks for the reply. I'll take a look at the streamline head.

I have my Fiberspar since 2006 and the locks are still OK. Though the truth is that I do not move the tailpiece much. So there is no problem there. But I do loose the tailpiece plugs from time to time. At some point I figured out the manufacturer of those (Rodon Group) and got a bag of them. I had so many that even gave some away at ECWF a couple years ago Smile

Andrei.
P.S. This is the link to tailpiece plugs:
http://catalog.rodongroup.com/item/rodon-standard-plugs/ball-head-universal/c-32-u-21

Last edited by Ugly_Bird on Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:34 am; edited 2 times in total
dhmark

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have swapped boom heads on booms before. The boom diameter must be the same or smaller than the head. If the boom is smaller, you build up the diameter with fiberglass and West epoxy. The straight front part of the boom must be wide enough for the head. Finally, I put epoxy bumps on the boom to each side of the head so it won't slip off center. I did this 2 times using an old Hawaiian Proline head (crummy head) and a new Hawaiian Proline head (better) to an old Dynafiber boom.
The streamlined is very expensive; the new straps probably work better than the old ones that I looked at when I was looking into it (big hassle to adjust). Mauisails head that many use to like wouldn't work, I think was too wide. I like heads with built-in RDM shim. If Chinook dimensions are compatible, go for it.
Arrgh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Streamlined boom head, but it is for rdm only. There is another for sdm. Doesn't seem solve you problem. Have you contacted Chinook directly? And measured the diameter of your boom? If boom diameter is too small you can build it up with f-glass.

Edit: dhmark beat me to the punch. As for the Streamlined: I have the new Dyneema type head and it is super easy to use, and lighter than even the earlier, crappy HPL head. It's one way to eliminate the hassle of the rdm shim, just not a one boom solution if you have both rdm and sdm masts.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angles have to match.
Booms need to be same or smaller diameter than inside of the head.
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Angles have to match.

No angles in both.

Fiberspar Posigrip head:
http://www.windpowerwindsurfing.com/shop/images/large/products/boom_parts/4873_1-large.jpg

Chinook carbon boom head:

https://chinooksailing.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/2/1/219w-frictionpad-sm.jpg

Just measured for Fiberspar and found that the head goes around 40 mm pipe. Now need to call to Chinook and find out the ID on their head.

Andrei.
mark

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maui Sails sells front ends separately. With the standard shims it will fit either 36 or 40mm diameter tubes.
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark wrote:
Maui Sails sells front ends separately. With the standard shims it will fit either 36 or 40mm diameter tubes.

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked it up and it seems Maui Sails boom head is very similar to Fibespar boom head. The gate has no hinge. And this is what makes it difficult to remove the boom from the mast in cold weather.

Andrei
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got to be kidding me, right? Does a boom head have to have a hinged component to attach it to the mast? No, it doesn't.

I've had a Maui Sails boom since 2007, and I've never had a problem attaching or removing it from the mast. It's arguably one of the best designs on the marketplace right now, and it is very easy to use. I find it amazing that you find the MS front end design a bit too challenging or difficult to use for your needs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: