myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Chinook head for Fiberspar boom?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bamer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugly_Bird wrote:

At low temperatures it is getting hard to take boom off an SDM and even harder from an RDM attached through shim. The clamp there is not pivoted so when plastic becomes more rigid at low temperatures it feels like something is about to snap.

If you are having a hard time getting it off, walk around to the tail and pull down. The shortest setting on the boom is 5.5 feet and if you are able to windsurf you should be able to exert 50 pounds of force. Pulling down on the tail would create 275 foot-pounds of force to remove the front end. This should be plenty of force by at least a few hundred foot pounds.

"Feels like" and reality are two different things. These front ends are strong and they have historically failed at a very low rate compared to the carbon they were bolted onto. Surviving epic crashes, rigs getting worked in huge waves, 250 pound racers sailing way overpowered for hundreds of hours, and even rigging in the cold.

Further, the front end is most likely made of nylon or something with very similar properties. These plastics generally have no loss in strength until well below 0 degrees Fahrenheit. I doubt you are sailing in that cold of weather. But if you are, a hinged front end may be more likely to fail, especially where the plastic wraps around the metal pin.

If you like the hinged door or just want to try a Chinook front end, go for it. To check if it will fit: measure the diameter of your existing booms front end tubing with a caliper and measure across the 'flat' spot to check the allowable width. Call or email Chinook and ask them what the ID and width of their front end is.

For the Chinook to work on your boom its ID needs to be greater than or equal to your boom's OD and it cannot be wider than what your boom can accommodate.

If the Chinook diameter is the same, clamp it on. If the ID is larger than your boom's OD then build your boom up with fiberglass until they match. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ8TXoZu3u4
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great video. One of Phil McGain's best in my view.

Some years ago, I upgraded my older carbon HPL to include the Maui Sails front end. The improvement over the original HPL front end was huge, and the retrofit was so easy for me, since no extra epoxy work was needed in the effort.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: