myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Looking for tips from Winter Windsurfers IE Going home...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derikthin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Looking for tips from Winter Windsurfers IE Going home... Reply with quote

So what I've been doing so far is bringing a towel an emergency blanket thing a change of underwear, socks and shirt. When I'm done I get back to the truck and load the gear in and then I take off my wetsuit and throw on the ol'pants etc and go home.

That's worked pretty well so far because the air temps have been like mid 40's-50's with sunshine.

When I go Friday the air temps are going to be like 36 and I'm not going to be down with striping down in that kind of air. I could collapse the seats in the back of the Truck and roll around in there trying to get my suit off to get changed. I also noticed in the winter that the bathroom at Sandy Hook is heated so there is that.

DO any of you fine folks just take your booties and hood off and ride home with your wetsuit on? The ride for me is like 40 minutes which is not bad at all.
The other day when I was out when I took the body of the suit off I think when the cold air hit my abdomen I got a muscle spasm and it cramped right up for a couple seconds, don't want to experience that again.

Thanks for any tips or tricks and advice =).

Derik A
wdsurf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:28 pm    Post subject: Wetsuit Reply with quote

Crank the heat and drive home.do it in those temps.all the time and sometimes between sessions at different spots when the wind quits and drive 45 minutes to another spot.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally ALWAYS take OFF the wet clothes FIRST
vehicle can be warming up while this is happening
have been bare foot in the snow Embarassed
if i don't take off the wet wetsuit, I get the shakes
body does NOT like that !!
warm up MUCH faster in dry clothes with heat blasting
but that's just me

last thing put on wetsuit or show up with it on
first thing - get it off ...

and ... don't like to sail when ice forms on my sail ...
outcast

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ride home!!!
Seat Protector

Getting the suit off in a nice hot shower cleans the suit, brings it inside...and it's so much easier...

Number Nine built my bathroom, so the shower has a seat in it

WaterKook has an all-season outdoor shower ...jealous

Only reason to change is so that you don't end up on Kook-Of-The-Day

have I gone into a liqour store in my swetsuit with jacket on and flip flops? maybe

Have i changed in the snow....yes...NBD either way

Driving home with hood still on...unprofessional

rswabsin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"have I gone into a liqour store in my swetsuit with jacket on and flip flops? maybe" ....that's freakin hysterical!

I drive home in the suit too and pass right by my favorite beverage store but could never bring myself to run in with the wet suit on. Someday.

Anyway - I do both, change in the front passenger seat if I've got time or drive home with the suit on if it's late and Im gonna shower anyway. I bring a jug of water to wash the sand off the boots and legs tho. Throw a towel on the seat and you're good to go. And yes driving with the hood on is considered bad form.

Rob
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for tips from Winter Windsurfers IE Going home... Reply with quote

It might just be me Derik, but I've driven between launch sites in my
wetsuit, and if the drive gets past 30 minutes (with rubber gear that's thick
enough for cold weather), my knees start to ache something fierce.

-Craig

Derikthin wrote:
So what I've been doing so far is bringing a towel an emergency blanket thing a change of underwear, socks and shirt. When I'm done I get back to the truck and load the gear in and then I take off my wetsuit and throw on the ol'pants etc and go home.

That's worked pretty well so far because the air temps have been like mid 40's-50's with sunshine.

When I go Friday the air temps are going to be like 36 and I'm not going to be down with striping down in that kind of air. I could collapse the seats in the back of the Truck and roll around in there trying to get my suit off to get changed. I also noticed in the winter that the bathroom at Sandy Hook is heated so there is that.

DO any of you fine folks just take your booties and hood off and ride home with your wetsuit on? The ride for me is like 40 minutes which is not bad at all.
The other day when I was out when I took the body of the suit off I think when the cold air hit my abdomen I got a muscle spasm and it cramped right up for a couple seconds, don't want to experience that again.

Thanks for any tips or tricks and advice =).

Derik A
Derikthin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a toss up. I seriously like the idea of getting home in my wet-suit and taking that thing off in the hot shower. I'll put a towel and some plastic down so my wet arse doesn't mess my truck up.

The knee thing though... hoping that doesn't happen and I'm not bouncing on the side of RT-1 trying to rip it off my body.

Thanks for the tips as always folks =)

Derik A
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the ride home is just 15 minutes, I sometimes keep the wetsuit on and change at home. When it's more than 30 minutes, I always change before driving home.

What I have done in the past when I still was driving a Civic was to bring a little popup tent and a camping gas heater to change in. You have to be a bit careful to not to let the suit touch the heater, but it kept me warm and was definitely worth it. Now I have a van that I can stand in so I don't need the tent anymore, but I still use the gas heater when temperatures get close to freezing Smile.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drive home in the wetsuit? Egh Confused no way.

Totally personal choice I guess, but for me, putting on my wetsuit is the last thing I do before hitting the water and the taking it off is the first thing I do when the sesh is over. I hate being in a damp wetsuit for any longer than necessary and they tend to get very chilly when they're wet and you're standing around or de-rigging.

I don't care how cold it is out (and I've sailed in air temps in the 30's/40's), I will ditch the wetsuit when I'm done ASAP either changing in the back of the car or standing in the wind shadow of the car. The trick is to get your towel and all your clothes prepped before you start changing so you can quickly pull off the suit, towel off, and then throw on something warm and dry like sweat pants and a hoodie. Bring a warm knit hat and some old slippers too for quick heat at the extremities.

sm
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ONCE... I sailed Long Island Sound in 17 degree weather and 17-25 mph winds, just to show the guys at the shop in a tiny town of Northgate ??? or something like that at the end of a road leading to the river..I'd met at the trade show......
I got out of my wetsuit outside, leeward of the van, while the boys derigged the sail and put the board in the van. We basically tied, about the same 12 or so minutes. Oneill 4/3 Heat, with trunks under, hood, booties, and stupidly no gloves.
The faster you move, and that includes RUNNING to keep the heartrate up, the better off you are in cold weather derigging. If you slow down, ice starts to form on the tip of your nose and both ears.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: