myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
2017 Tabou 3S
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: 2017 Tabou 3S Reply with quote

I have a 2014 96 and a 2016 86 3S. (that's a lot of numbers) Anyway, I think these boards a really great for how I sail. This year, Tabou has completely changed the the outline of these boards. All sizes are now super short. "stubby" The 116 is now 226x 66. last year it was 242x66. I know some of you guys are riding the stubby wave boards. Any input on the pros and cons of these short shape would be welcome. I am considering adding the 116 for 6.5 lite air bay and lake sailing. This shorter shape allows me to just barely add one more board when I travel....
Arrgh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windsurf Magazine just released their Jan-Feb issue which includes a test of the 3S 106 and six other crossover boards. They say it is fast, exciting, glides thru lulls, but also has a "quite jarring" ride in heavy, choppy seas. So it sounds like quite a different animal.

Last edited by Arrgh on Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shorter length will made make the board feel looser.

It will react in a more lively manner than a long.
You are looking at a difference of 6", a length reduction of 2.5 %.

It's interesting that the width remains 66cm.

Short boards , wave granted have been around, my 2004 Angulo Amigu was 80l, 224x 58, used B n J, great.

The stubble boards won't handle sharp closely formed chop as well.

You must luv the Tabous .

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Arrgh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yoosetooes, your thoughts very much match the Windsurf mag report. I have a 2015 3S, which I bought specifically for the very smooth ride, the domed deck, and thick footpads. For 2017 they have flattened the deck and thickened the rails. As for width, I think it tends to go hand in hand with (advertised) volume these days. Do we really believe believe that any brand makes a line with exactly 86, 96, 106 and 116 liters? We want a certain amount of float, yes, but mostly we are looking for a certain width within a board category.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dennis_c wrote:
Windsurf Magazine just released their Jan-Feb issue which includes a test of the 3S 106 and six other crossover boards. They say it is fast, exciting, glides thru lulls, but also has a "quite jarring" ride in heavy, choppy seas. So it sounds like quite a different animal.

I'm not at all against new shapes, but I hate it when a company keeps the name, but changes the characteristics drastically. In recent years, the 3S has been one of the best boards for chop; seems that this is over now.
Maybe it's not a big surprise, since Tabou has done similar things to the 3S in the past; maybe 10 years back, the tail looked like a freestyle board. Test results back then also changed quite a lot from year to year.

I guess the manufacturers want to capitalize on an established reputation when they keep the name for a rather different beast. I think that's rather short-sighted and likely to backfire. Gaastra did this for the Matrix - it changed from a top-end oriented sail with incredible stability to a low-end oriented sail a couple of years back. It's still a good sail, but a totally different beast. It's also the last Gaastra sail I will buy, after being a fan for 15 years.

Maybe stubby boards are better, and we'll all sail them in a few years. That would just be a logical continuation of the board shape development over many years - nobody thinks the long pointed noses from the 90s are necessary anymore. But I think the way Fanatic introduced the new shapes makes much more sense: new shape, new name.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had '02 Matrix, great low end.
I have '16 Matrix, horrid low end due to stiff tubular battens, great TOP end.
My '10 3S 86 is fantastic in heavy confused chop, double concave like RRD's FSW's, much smoother than the faster JP's FSW's channel bottoms.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main reason I want to go with the larger 3S is for the smooth ride my other boards have.
Yes I like the Tabou boards. Rocket 115 is world class. The 3s boards are not the best at any one thing but are really good at everything. Just fun to ride no matter where I take them. I sold my Rocket 115 hoping to replace it with the 3s 116. In 2016 they where both 242x66. Now with the short shape I'm wondering how the 3s is going to sail.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
The main reason I want to go with the larger 3S is for the smooth ride my other boards have.
Yes I like the Tabou boards. Rocket 115 is world class. The 3s boards are not the best at any one thing but are really good at everything. Just fun to ride no matter where I take them. I sold my Rocket 115 hoping to replace it with the 3s 116. In 2016 they where both 242x66. Now with the short shape I'm wondering how the 3s is going to sail.

I feel the need to ask what you compare the 3S to?

The Tabou Rockets, my 135 is among the best boards I have owned or ridden.
My 115 and 145 were stellar. In this case you are preaching to the choir.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I compare the 3s to my Rocket 115. The Rocket is a great free ride board.
For me at 165 lbs and with a bad back it gets a bit ruff in cross chop pretty quick. My 96 3s with the thick pads and tail cut outs is super smooth and extends my time on the water. I sail it down to 4.7 In lite and gusty wind its to small to carry a 6.5 Its doable but not perfect. So I need the float of the 115 Rocket with the ride of the 3s. Hence the thought of the larger 2017 116 3s.
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
I compare the 3s to my Rocket 115. The Rocket is a great free ride board.
For me at 165 lbs and with a bad back it gets a bit ruff in cross chop pretty quick. My 96 3s with the thick pads and tail cut outs is super smooth and extends my time on the water. I sail it down to 4.7 In lite and gusty wind its to small to carry a 6.5 Its doable but not perfect. So I need the float of the 115 Rocket with the ride of the 3s. Hence the thought of the larger 2017 116 3s.

The RRD FSW sounds like it is a smoother ride. At least, that is what I gleaned from the Windsurf review. But the biggest size is 104.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: