myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The Kona Gods Smiled on 2016 Worlds
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
konajoe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:38 pm    Post subject: The Kona Gods Smiled on 2016 Worlds Reply with quote

For those who haven't heard, the 2016 Kona Worlds in the Florida Keys were epic!!! The organizers did a fantastic job, the location was amazing, and the Kona gods sent planing conditions for the entire regatta.

The "event" actually started a few days earlier, with a warm-up race in Clearwater. The Clearwater Community Community Sailing Center is a fantastic venue. There was their regularly scheduled weekly Friday night race, plus the warm-up race on Saturday and Sunday. Somewhere between 30 and 40 Konas raced there.

After the race, there were a few days to take in what South Florida has to offer.

The regatta officially started with a charter pick-up/practice day. I'm guessing that they had 70 or 80 charter boards set out on the lawn for the 110 participants.

It was great to see old friends from all over the world. What was also very cool was meeting people from this forum. We all had to laugh about how hard it is to communicate on a forum vs. talking in person.

The setting is very social. They block out a bunch of rooms for us, and almost everyone stayed at the host hotel. The launch site is right at the hotel. Each room has a screened in porch, and all rooms are at the ground level. If you were walking through the grounds at night with a 6 pack, it wouldn't be long until someone invited you over. 'Hey...I've seen you around...I'm so and so, who are you?....where are you from?...where do you sail?....what are the gun laws like where you live? Epic.

The organizers did an outstanding job with the lunches. The whole roasted pig on the last night was awesome. Several bars and restaurants were within walking distance.
konajoe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot. The racing. Racing in 20-ish knots every day was really fun. Courses were no-nonsense windward/leewards. I've never seen so many different approaches to rigging and sailing. Some used flat rigs with fairly tight leeches, others rigged full in the booms with the top dumped. Both ways really seemed to work.

I believe that the very top guys only used their centerboards at the start in most races. But you really had to keep on your toes, and put the centerboard down upwind, and run downwind, if the wind dropped.

Just day after day of great, blasting, tactical one-design racing.

Results: http://class.konaone.com/Event/1446/kona-world-championships-2016

I was just amazed at how many people had raw hands. I still don't get it. This is a no pumping class, after all. Unlike light wind racing, I was in my harness the whole time. No problems here.
konajoe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though the Kona gods smiled on the regatta, they looked down and frowned on me. The forecast at registration time predicted that the wind would be near the wind limit for the entire race. We were given the option to drop down a sail size, and I took it. The Kona gods saw this, and taught me a serious lesson.

Some of the same people I could keep up with in the practice race, were just gone. Couldn't sail deep downwind, couldn't get upwind fast without the centerboard. Very challenging trying to keep up, but I could've done without that.

So lesson learned. Keep the gods happy. If you want a chance of being competitive, stick with the right sail
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tough competition:

4) Andy Brandt
10) Joachim Larsson
13) Britt Viehmann
20) Steve Gottlieb
29) Ron Kern
56) Dan Weiss

thought some of those guys are serious competition
guess the rest of us would be at the back of the pack
Darbonne

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate that I missed it. Thanks again for the shirt. Next year the worlds are in Sweden. Then Clearwater for 2018. I don't think I will make it next year, but I am already planning on Clearwater. Maybe I can finish more that one race next time.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

konajoe wrote:
We were given the option to drop down a sail size, and I took it.

So you can choose from different size sails, but you have to use the same size throughout the entire regatta - is that how the class rules are set up?

sm
Darbonne

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can only choose to go down 1 size from your required weight class. You then have to use that sail for the entire regatta.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

konajoe, what size sail are you usually assigned?

i really like the 9.0 and 8.3

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
gregnw44

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
konajoe, what size sail are you usually assigned?

i really like the 9.0 and 8.3

John I -
Joe M is usually in the 7.8 sail size class, I think. But like he said... he chose to take the opportunity to use the next size down, due to the strong wind forecast. So he went with the 7.4M size.
I'm in the 9M sail size weight group, and took a chance and stayed there.
But my sailing buddy, Giovanni, that I traveled down to Florida with... he also chose to drop down a sail size the same as Joe, going with the 7.4M sail. And Giovanni definitely weighs more than Joe and is at the top weight, in the 7.8 class. So it was a BIG drop for him to use the 7.4 sail. He was happy since we had lots of racing in 15-25 mph and more (at times). But he was not happy the occasional times it was 10-20 (if there was lots of 10-15). It's all a very fun gamble, LOL
For me, although 9M is my correct class... in all the sailing that happened when it was 22-32mph stuff... I REALLY wished I had the 8.2 (or even the 7.Cool.
Still though... it's really amazing and impressive to watch the highly skilled (and VERY fit) sailors who finished around Joe and all the way up to #1. From back where I was, I actually didn't see much of those guys and gals, LOL Anyway, most of them used their correct sail size. Their sailing skills and their strength and endurance is inspiring. I was super impressed with senior citizens and 15-25 year old kids... most of them totally dominated me!!
Speaking of that -
Is windsurfing dying... is windsurfing only for "old farts"... is windsurf racing only for aging baby-boomers... is longboard sailing only for beginner's????
Answer - "NO" to all the above!!!
I'm not saying it'll ever be like it was when I started in '81... or as big as it was up till about '95. However, when you see ALL the kids (15-25 year old male's and female's) at Kona One races (and also at slalom races I go to)... well then, you know there's some growth happening. People are having fun, there is new energy... our cool sport is going to continue just fine. Us experienced veterans can help by being positive and helpful and tolerant with newbies.
Anyway, I wasn't a Kona owner before going to the World's last month in the FL Keys... but I am now. I will sail it alongside my '93 F2 Lighting World Cup... and my Formula... and my 5 shortboards.
And yes, it was fun meeting and hanging out with KonaJoe and all the other celebrities there ha ha.
Greg Smile
PS - Joe mentioned the weird fact... that... a very high % of the racers, all got really bad blisters on their hands. He didn't get any, and mentioned, since there isn't any pumping in Kona races, he was amazed at so many people having BAD issues with blisters. And yes, it wasn't just the lower half of the fleet who got big painful blisters. The 1st place finisher and many in the top 1/3 of the fleet got blisters as bad as the bottom of the fleet.

PSS - Kids kicked butt against former pros and Olympians and National Champs. 1st place, was a 22 year old from the Netherlands. 2nd place, a 22 year old from Sweden. 3rd place, a 15 year old from Florida. And the first place women was a 18 year old girl from Sweden (sister to the 2nd place kid, daughter to the 5th place finisher).
So... just sayin'... there were some REALLY stoked kids there, who are seriously into this!!!

Darbonne

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are spot on Greg. Go to a Kona event and you will see that windsurfing is alive and well. The Kona was my first board after my beginner board, and it was Konajoe who convinced me to get it. I am relatively new to the sport (5th year) and I am still struggling with some aspects of WS. I attended the 2014 Kona Worlds at the same location as 2016. I didn't know what to expect. I was blown away at the level of fitness and skill of the racers. The races were grueling for me. I finished only one, and came in dead last at the regatta. I would have been there this year but for the March flood in Louisiana from which I am still recovering. I am totally sold on the Kona concept. I bought a 135 liter RRD last year because I thought I wanted to try a shortboard. I have never ridden it. Trying to sell it so I can buy another Kona and possibly start my own Louisiana fleet. See you in Clearwater in 2018.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: