myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Lake Lopez update
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Lake Lopez update Reply with quote

Just went up to check it out. 1/9/17 Its up 2 1/2 feet over the last few days. All the creeks are running strong. Must hill sides are oozing water. More rain on the way. The issue is that windsurfing area is still dry. After 2 plus years out of the water the weeds and brush are up to 6 feet high. In the past if the lake was at 50 to 60% it was worth a trip up. Plenty of area to sail. Now I think it needs to be 70% or more to have enough water to clear the top of some brush. I talked to the ranger and there are no plans to clear the area.
A controlled burn by the county would clear the area and add capacity to the lake. Just sayin........Tony
superkraut

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you ought to strongly lobby for weed abatement, Tony! the weeds that we grew here at Isabella during the dry years, caused a plethora of problems, from fouled fins and propellers, to a toxic algae bloom due to all the organic matter in the lake when it finally did come up
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Miss Eva,
its like talking to a wall with these people. They do not want to do anything until it all goes wrong. I suggested that with the lake down to 20% it would be a good time to remove 50 years of sediment from the exposed areas. Thus increasing capacity of the lake. I'm pretty sure that suggestion went right into the round file. Are you going to SPI this spring? Tony
superkraut

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no - it looks like we will have a fabuloutastic season here at Isabella, and I plan to utilize this bounty until I drop, particularly since 2017 will be the last year before the Corps of Engineers moves in on us to mess with the dams.
Aeolian1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tony, BBTom here, so how many more feet would the lake have to come up to be sailable and clear the plant growth you mentioned?
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just a guess but 70% of full and that is still a very long way up from now..
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will update you guys as the rain brings the lake up but its going to take a bunch more....Tony
bprice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Current capacity is 25.3%... so it's got a long way to go. Official website:https://wr.slocountywater.org/site.php?site_id=16&site=ad5cdb23-3e46-41f0-98a9-b169a505c0f4
bprice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at some past data, 70% has a lake height of 504 ft, current height is 462 ft, so that's another 42 feet. The winter 2010/11, it went from 55% to 95% in 4 months, so it is possible.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike have seen how tall the weeds are? I guess the lake bottom muck is good plan food....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: