myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
HARNESS LINE LENGTH and SEAT Harnesses
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mamero

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: HARNESS LINE LENGTH and SEAT Harnesses Reply with quote

Yes... this topic again. Harness line length! Shocked

Question. How do you know when your lines are TOO long (or short) when using a SEAT harness?

I ask because last year I switched from a waste to a seat harness. The switch also necessitated a change to longer harness lines. I am not a big sailor. 5' 6", 138lbs. I used adjustables most of this season and I "think" I've dialed in my ideal seat harness line length to 32 inches. Near the end of the season I bought a set of fixed Chinook 32" lines which I sailed 2-3 times. Overall the length felt right but at times I wondered if they still may be slightly too long. Perhaps I should do 30" lines.

I wonder if you seasoned pros would kindly advise on harness line length as it relates to a SEAT harness.

ALSO, please post YOUR height and "ideal" harness line length for comparison.

Example:
Height 5'8". Seat Harness Line Length 34".
Height 5'8". Waste Harness Line Length 30".

I realize everyone is slightly different however, humans generally have predictable proportions. The arm length of one person 5'6" should be more or less the same as another person who also is 5'6". (unless you are a gorilla). Laughing
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe your best answers lie in the discussions and rationale from the other threads, not in a tape measure and sure as HELL not in any one man's opinion.

Which is better ... BMWs, Corvettes, pickup trucks, or rowboats?

Chihuahuas, Great Danes, or labs?

Women or men?

Wrenches or iPods?

3-foot poles or 10-foot poles?

The correct answer in all cases is, "It depends on what you want to do with them". Based on inches or centimeters or even cubits, there is no "right" answer.

Not even close.

Whether seat, or waist, or chin harness, my lines are too long when I can't reach the boom and are too short when I have to jump into the air to hook in. Anything between those extremes is fair game, is rider's choice, and is under the influence of boom height, sailing style, venue, harness fit and adjustment, personal preference, and MANY more variables.

Last edited by isobars on Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a couple inches taller than you, and I also use a seat harness, but I'm using 24" fixed lines. The longest I've ever used was 26", but that was many years ago when most of us used more spread-out attachment points. Rather than thinking in terms of overall height, I like to focus on arm length (shirt sleeve length). At 32", my reach is a bit shorter than normal.
pmlct

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it is worth I am 5'8" and also use a seat harness. On my big sails I use Chinook fixed 30" and go down to 28" below 6.0 sails. The 30's are easy to get in and out when slogging, the 28's require more effort but since it is windier I can move the boom or my body more without losing balance. I feel that I have to consciously lean back to create more speed but the rig is more upright and not pulled over me when planing. I consider my arm length to be average. I used to use much shorter lines but the newer, wider board designs make the longer lines more feasible.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a seat with 22' fixed. I'm 5'10". So the answer is what ever works for you. I might tell you that your lines are to long. The next guy might say to short. You want your lines to take 90 to 95% of the load. If your arms and hands are getting exhausted then your lines are not doing their job. You should be able to take both hands off the boom for short amounts of time with out loosing your sail trim. If your lines are set in the right place, you should only be using finger tip pressure on the boom most of the time. Placement and length are critical. The one thing with short lines is that you do not want to pull the sail over the center line of the board ( to much to the windward) this will cause you lose some power. To me your lines should be set to be balanced when your in the straps and at full speed with the sail racked back.. If you can comfortable slog around in the lines, then they are to long
adywind

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't use fixed lines with a seat harness-it is more line lenght sensitive then waist harness IMO. Im 5'7" and used to do seat harness with my bigger sails and slalomy boards. I had my adjustable lines mostly at 32" for lighter winds or broad reach and 30", even 28" for stronger winds or closer reaches.
Nowadays my biggest sail is 7.5 and my sailing a lot more maneuver centered so I use a waist harness exclusively with lines usually at 30". I even put fixed 30" lines on my smaller boom for sails 5.7 and down. As Ive said-the waist harness is less lenght sensitive/moves up and down all the time anyway/ and I don't feel the need for much line adjustments anymore.
westender

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the adjustable lines. One size doesn't fit all. You change your boards, sails and fins??
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite simply the lines are too long when you cannot grasp the boom easily.
Long is good.
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you can see, the variables are overwhelming, simply because there is no correct answer. You find what works for you.

One variable not yet mentioned is boom height, and that will vary from one sailor to another and from big rigs to small rigs (same sailor), as well as the type of sailing you do (Formula, wave, freestyle, freeride, longboard).

So, find a boom height that seems good for you and try a setting on your adjustable lines (measure it if it feels good), and go from there.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your stance. If you can sail with (almost) straight arms in a figure 7 stance while fully committed to the harness, the length of the lines is correct.

If the lines are a bit too long, you have to push your butt out, or your fingers barely reach the boom.

Typical indicators of lines that are too short are bent arms and problems to get in and out of the lines (for example that you have to jump to out of the lines). But there are other reasons for bent arms, too (like bad habits), as well as for problems getting into the lines. As an article in a recent Windsurfing Now pointed out, you may have to pick up speed and get to the back of the board before you can hook in with a seat harness, especially on a wide or fast board.

To get a good idea what your stance looks like, have someone take a picture of you. Ideally, you're barely touching the boom, so you must be committed to the harness. Alternatively, a GoPro with a Clew-View mount can give you a decent idea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 1 of 17

Jump to: