myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
HARNESS LINE LENGTH and SEAT Harnesses
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grantmac017

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puffin:

Just as a future data point what is your inseam? I'm within an inch of your height and I'm also all torso so I'd like to see how my setup compares.

-Grant
westender

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not convinced that length is a big deal for a lot of people. They only pretend to use the harness and their arms do all the work Rolling Eyes
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Shirley' one of the main factors not yet discussed is the psychological affect of different coloured harness lines? I was intrigued to find that I felt to be faster (confirmed by G.P.S.) beating to the right, than beating to the left, after I'd replaced the ordinary black right hand side line with a bright green one.

It couldn't have been due to different length (same each side) so I eventually reasoned that, being right handed combined with being left footed, I naturally leaned to that direction, so could be expected to go faster that-a-way.

But then, it wasn't quite as simple as that. I measured the height of the forward footstrap arches on each side and found that the right side one was 0.3 of an inch higher. With such a glaring discrepancy no wonder I wasn't windsurfing at maximum efficiency. 'Shirley' these little details make all the difference to the level of enjoyment we manage to get!

And then they say we can't learn something new each time we venture out onto the water. I'll never doubt again.

Isn't life so exciting!
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
Puffin:

Just as a future data point what is your inseam? I'm within an inch of your height and I'm also all torso so I'd like to see how my setup compares.

-Grant

32". It might be 31.5 as I age. I weigh 160, set my boom at clavicle height for starters (a little higher for the 7.5) and my mast foot is usually within an inch of center. My harness lines are 6" apart or less (except for waves, when I'll go wider.) Waist harness (except for 7.5, and sometimes still even then.)

isobars

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeconicPuffin wrote:
32".

Mine's 28. Right there's the difference between resting my boom on the tip of the tail vs not.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeconicPuffin wrote:
grantmac017 wrote:
Puffin:

-Grant

32". It might be 31.5 as I age. I weigh 160, set my boom at clavicle height for starters (a little higher for the 7.5) and my mast foot is usually within an inch of center. My harness lines are 6" apart or less (except for waves, when I'll go wider.) Waist harness (except for 7.5, and sometimes still even then.)

I'm almost an inch taller and nearly 2 inches shorter in the leg. Still trying to figure out what my ideal looks like. I tend to need long lines to slog but then end-up very hiked out once blasting. XT seat with usually >7.5m sails and boom around clavicle.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
I tend to need long lines to slog but then end-up very hiked out once blasting.

Slogging with lines set for powered sailing is harder with a seat harness IMHO, but on big sails what are you going to do? If I was primarily sailing 7.5+ sails I'd go back to adjustable lines, set so that fully shortened is my powered setting (so I wouldn't have to wonder if they're shortened enough.)

If I'm a few miles out and the wind dies big time, I'll jump off the board, loosen the outhaul, undo the boom clamp and knock the boom down 4" to make slogging easy (then close boom clamp, restore outhaul) Don't try opening the boom head with full outhaul or you can get into trouble with the boom head popping off the mast (unless you know you can get away with it).

dllee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With sinker boards, 75 liters for me, it's easier to lay the sail to windward, push down on the mast base to free the pins, loosen the mast foot, move it forwards 5", then tighten the mast foot.
Bigger triangle lowers the boom, but also gives more board for slogging.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
I'm not convinced that length is a big deal for a lot of people. They only pretend to use the harness and their arms do all the work Rolling Eyes

Exactly. Windsurfing is about transferring wind power from the rig to the board, with our bodies existing somehow in that string. If we assume a person is planing and in the straps, then harness line length is all about getting maximum power from the rig while being able to control the board. Harnesses exist to control the board (and the rig) better and longer than without.

Harness line length actually is less about body size and more about the particular gear and how it's intended to be sailed. I might sail a longboard with 28" lines that seem ideal driving hard in a lot of wind but would be too short for sailing deep upwind or downwind with less rig power.

The goal is to balance the rig while reducing the strength required to hold it without loosing speed. Arms bent, elbow(s) pointing to the side does not a pretty picture make. Bent waist, back nearly vertical reveals a poor setup.

Proper body position evidences great line length. Hips inboard, legs nearly straight but not locked, back at least leaning 15 degrees outboard, shoulders rolled forward a bit, leading hip slightly rotated open. This indicates line length in the range of ideal for sailing a shortboard powerfully.

swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many years ago, I once tried to adjust the position of my universal while outside in the water. It was a complete disaster. The universal unexpectedly came out of the mast track, and then I subsequently lost the rectangular nutplate trying to put things back together. I was totally screwed, and ultimately had to swim in the separated rig and board. It wasn't an easy task. Needless to say, I've never made that mistake again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 15 of 17

Jump to: