myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
HARNESS LINE LENGTH and SEAT Harnesses
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I and several other oldtimers change out mast foot position at least once a week while out in the water.
Smart sailors would sail into a wave protected area, a wind shadow, or near shore.
You just loosen it one and a half turns, so at least 8 threads are still connecting your base to the mast track.
You HAVE to push down on the mast base, to free the friction of the pins and basecup.
It's easily done, sitting on your board, sail in the water out to the side.
dmilovich

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi zirtaeb -

Don't quite get it. Are you disconnecting the extension bottom from the cup before you loosen the mast base? Doesn't sound like it. Just not sure what pushing down on the mast base means, exactly, or why it's necessary to "free the friction of the pins...". If it's still attached to the bottom of the extension, the hourglass is bent over with a bunch of tension (sorta trying to flip the board on its side, eh).

So, do you mean that pushing down on that hourglass area relieves the tension on the foot and allows it to slide while still connected to the rig? Sounds like a cool trick. Always dread trying to adjust that in the water, or even trying to switch rigs with someone in the water by disconnecting at the extension/mast base interface, but this may help that too. In any case, TIA for your explanation.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I see a long slog coming wth no chance of gusts, I just open my Chinook boom's lever, slide it down a few inches, and close it. Takes all of 15 seconds ... but then my outhaul tension is pretty light compared to racier sails.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the palm of your hand to basically straighten out the hourglass to mast base unit, so there is no hourglass pressure upwards on the mast base. Then, the unit just rotates easily, slides easily to a new position on the mast track.
Palm of your hand push's down on the horizontal mast base, so it frees up the uni joint's upward pressure.
Done hundreds of times, while sitting on the board.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
If I see a long slog coming wth no chance of gusts, I just open my Chinook boom's lever, slide it down a few inches, and close it. Takes all of 15 seconds ... but then my outhaul tension is pretty light compared to racier sails.

Complete agreement with Iso (this happens once every 2.5 years.)

dmilovich

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zirtaeb, thanks will try it!
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the advantages with North Silver booms is that the clamp fits either SDM or RDM masts with NO shims or alterations necessary. It takes just seconds out on the water to open the clamp, push the boom either up or down, (they don't stick to the mast), and snap the clamp shut again.

I'm with Chandler. Slackening off mast bases out at sea is just asking for trouble. By Sods Law, if it can go wrong, it possibly will!
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:

I'm with Chandler. Slackening off mast bases out at sea is just asking for trouble. By Sods Law, if it can go wrong, it possibly will!

I'm with the two of you! The downside is so much worse than the upside.

1. This is why making a few runs close to your launch to dial things in is so important. Tune downhaul and outhaul, get harness lines just right, tweak mast foot position as needed.

2. If things change so much that you want to tweak the mast foot, sail back to land (or good shallows).

I once had to chase down a friend's rig...he'd tried to adjust his mast foot...it separated from the board...and after several failed attempts to reattach it a gust threw it 20 feet downwind. Watching that scared me so much that I switched to two bolt bases (purely from fear of board/rig separation.)

Murphy's law + the sea? No thank you.

GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I've ALWAYS done Peconic (after loosing a board and rig as they seperated mid jump with the board rapidly blowing out of reach) is to fasten a thin 18 inch long bungy elastic cord to a hole drilled in the mast base, with the other end clipped to the downhaul lines.

you have to take care not to gybe or tack too many times in one direction (winds it up!) but it can be a life saver. I proved that point on having my longboard seperate when I awkwardly slipped off it when way out to sea, and it anchored the board to the seperated rig to prevent it blowing out of reach of my best 'battle speed' swimming capabilities.

Mighty thankful, and NEVER go on the sea now without that safety tie!
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. Should have added-

Most of my boards have a small bar at the front of the mast track. I've permanently tied a short thin rope to each with a plastic clip on the open end. That clips onto the bungy cord to cover all bases. (Mat plate sliding or jumping out of track.)

For those boards which don't have a little bar I've permanently inserted a spare brass slider and bolt with a washer at the very front of the track, and screwed it down over the short rope, after looping it round the bolt.

Where there's a will, as they say!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 16 of 17

Jump to: