myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
HARNESS LINE LENGTH and SEAT Harnesses
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mamero

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chasing after runaway gear can be scary.

Early on in my first season I bailed when the wind picked up. Usually not a big deal BUT, my rig landed with the boom exactly on the tail of my board (Like a waterstart prep). Without the drag of the sail in the water and, with the sail resting ON the board, the wind took the whole thing. No matter how fast I could swim I could NOT catch it. Luckily, the wind dropped so eventually I DID catch it. I was also not TOO far from shore, there where others around too, in a worst case.

Now that I sail further out runaway gear is the one thing that is scary. At least surfers have a leash around their ankle. I still have not figured out how to solve this somewhat rare but potentially hazardous issue.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having the rig fall over the board, and blowing it away from you, is a tough one Mamero.

Only thing I suggest is, don't let go of the boom as you fall. Pull, or push if you fall into the rig, it down into the water with you, to act as an anchor.

Perhaps others have different ways to suggest?
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mamero wrote:
Chasing after runaway gear can be scary.

I still have not figured out how to solve this somewhat rare but potentially hazardous issue.

I use three solutions:
• Hang onto boom when crashing. Failing that accidentally or on purpose (to protect ribs, joints, etc.) ...
• The instant I hit the water I look at the rig. If the board nose is pointing downwind, the mast is across the wind, and the clew is upwind, I sprint until I get my hands on it.
• I prepare myself for that sprint in the gym and/or the pool with HIIT.
A swim coach taught me some speed and efficiency techniques.

That keeps my B&J-sized boards within reach. For bigger boards, much more likely to do as you describe, I add a fourth technique that worked when my windSUP ran away: wave my arms, catch somebody's eye, and point towards the runaway gear.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surfer's leash's break all the time, as I averaged 2-4 each year, using the biggest diameter strongest leash's, and surfing San Francisco's Ocean Beach. Surfer's just live with the swim.
I've broken at Outer Sunset, swam to the shore, spotted my board just inside KammieLand, swam out the channel that was now closing out, thru the closeout, at least 1/2 mile outside of 12' Kammies, got my board, and came it at Ehukai Beach Park, a cycle that took over 2 hours. My board was flourescent blue, 8'6" x 20, so easy to spot in the surf.
If I'd drifted past Ehukai Beach Park, there would be no way in until past Log Cabin's, easy another 3 miles down the beach.
It's almost impossible to catch a wayward windsurf board that jettisoned it's rig, once the nose points downwind on a windy day. The wind swells are moving at least 8 mph, while your fastest swimming speed is closer to 3 mph.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
Page 17 of 17

Jump to: