myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing Calculator
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Windsurfing Calculator Reply with quote

mamero wrote:
I am sure most of you have ... used the windsurfing calculator over at "James' Blog".

I don't know of anyone who has, and have never heard it mentioned except in this forum. Just about anyone who's already planing in the straps is getting pretty good at picking the sail sizes he prefers. As James says, his chart is a beginning point ... and as *I* say, it's an excellent one, FWTW. But two experienced guys of the same weight and board size and sailing side by side can easily prefer sails 40% apart in size, and that's not even including pros and their lofty goals.
westender

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's best used by people who don't know what size gear to buy. It seems very accurate when I put in my info. Then it's up to the user to sail it with no complaints about having the wrong size boards or sails.

How did we ever learn to do anything without the internet??
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for some reason , I like numbers n graphs ... Embarassed
buddy and I went to Hatteras and he is a MUCH better sailor than I
and so, I was wondering how his quiver compared to "THE calculator" Smile

here are the results:

ss59

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used this a few times out of interest when I was starting out but, at 80kg, sails, fins, boards and uphaul-able size all come up a fair bit bigger than 'I' would choose to use.

I build my quiver around my boards (size and type) rather than percentage gaps and have a degree of overlap. My (planing) quiver is:

big board - 120litres / 70 wide - 7.5m - from 12kts
FSW - 95 / 63 wide - 6.0m+5.3m+4.7m - from 16kts
FSW - 86l / 59 wide - 4.7m+4.2m - from 20kts

I also have a 98l freestyle board that I use when it is 15-16knts+ and flat with the same sails as the 95FSW.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Windsurfing Calculator Reply with quote

mamero wrote:
I am sure most of you have seen and used the windsurfing calculator over at "James' Blog".

An excellent chart, well known in the windsurfing blogosphere. In my own experience I'd say it relates to the naked or light street clothes weight (what I say when someone asks me how much I weigh.) I'd say it tells you how much wind and what sail are needed by windsurfers who are confident hooked in and in both footstraps to plane nicely.

I like it mostly for ideas about the windspeed, and sail quivers. I can get planing and stay planing in less wind than the calculator suggests, and can sail with a much bigger sail than it calls for, but in terms of a general idea of what you can plane on, it's excellent.

joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ +1

as witnessed by my graph
sl55

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am forever grateful to James for this calculator. When I was a beginner, dealers and fellow windsurfers recommended sail sizes too small for my weight which was a source of serious frustration and for a couple of seasons it stalled my progress. As soon as I found this calculator and bought the sail of a proper size I started planing right away. Of course now I can use smaller sizes, but for a beginner it was right on the money.
Thank You James!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: