myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sme Good News. (For some of us.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. If you claim medical expertise in this subject, please cite the research paper you will have published, along with peer review, and the extensive testing on which your claim is based.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I geues Dean Karnazes is doomed! remember him? He used to be a windsurfer, maybe he still is. Quite an amazing fellow! He ran 350 miles non stop for over 3 days with no sleep! Wonder it didn't kill him. Check it out! http://www.ultramarathonman.com/web/about/bio.shtml
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're putting words (e.g., ALL, fatal, killing themselves) in my mouth BIGTIME and making some really bad assumptions*. I have studied WAY over a thousand peer-reviewed medical and exercise physiology studies and studied at LEAST 100 authoritative books on those topics, each with scores to hundreds of published references. Several oncologists have told me I know more about my cancers than most doctors and many oncologists. My very LIFE, in the near term, depends on the quality and thoroughness of my medical literature research.

OF COURSE my "knowledge of such matters comes from reading other people's research." That's all that counts to me and ESPECIALLY to physicians, except for fine tuning and extensive medical testing to see where on the bell curves an individual lies. You're citing your own personal anecdotal experience and those of a few outliers as proof the world's experts are wrong? How naive and arrogant is that?

My nutrition training exceeds that of medical schools MANY thousandfold. Many of the researchers I study are among the foremost in their field. The instructors at my gym -- several of whom have BS/MS degrees in sports and exercise physiology -- constantly tell me I not only work harder than any other gym patron but have taught them some things they didn't know about training. They specifically say I'm right about my training methods, but they don't routinely teach them unless requested because they are too intense for most people.

* OF COURSE "There are always disagreements in such matters (opposite claims)" ... that's what the Cochrane Collaboration ... the gold standard source the world's more enlightened physicians use to reconcile such controversies ... is for. My use of it just makes your "therefore you have chosen to believe that which you constantly state, and ignore any research claims to the contrary" look plain stupid.

Have you had your coronary, thoracic, and carotid arteries checked by MRIs, CTs, ultrasound? Do you have records of many scores of biochemical markers assayed to guide your doctors and yourself in preventing and treating your most likely health threats? Or are you just counting on your resting pulse rate and recovery time to carry you through to your projected life expectancy? (Mine's 103, except for this frigging cancer thing.) Speaking of that, I wouldn't even know I had cancer except for scans/procedures/tests such as those. Tip: by the time most terminal major diseases produce symptoms, we're phuct. We're WAY better off preventing them or catching them early enough for curative treatment, that usually requires testing, and testing and treatment are based on one thing: large-scale evidence-based research that saves millions of lives every year.

We're done here.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slinky wrote:
I geues Dean Karnazes is doomed! remember him?

Well familiar with Dean, have met him. But for every Dean Karnazes there's a longtime runner whose arterial buildup nailed him. Bell curve and all that. IT'S GT, NOT I, STATING THE ABSOLUTES HERE.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed done here!
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
The clue is in the word EXCESSIVE exercise N.P. Or, in athletic terms OVER TRAINING.

GT, just sharing information that both an MD and cardiologist have shared with me. The cardiologist takes blood thinners because he is an avid cyclist. I'm not worried about myself. I like XC biking but not enough that I'm at any risk. Cycle, run, jump off cliffs all you want, and if you happen to die while doing it, oh well, at least you died having fun. Watching a man die from a massive heart attack at Doug's Beach years ago was truly upsetting to witness, but afterwards I was happy for him that he died doing what he obviously loved.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dear mother lived a lifestyle of party, drink, eat, smoke and party that would kill the average man by 40. She almost made 90.
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalibuGuru wrote:
My dear mother lived a lifestyle of party, drink, eat, smoke and party that would kill the average man by 40. She almost made 90.

Ya but, did she run, or ride her bike too much? Case solved, dropping the mic. Boom! Wink
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite aunt wasn't just a non-smoker; she was a lifelong, outspoken ANTI-smoker. It took her throat cancer two horrible years to kill her in the prime of her middle ages.

Bell curve.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A telling thing to me about the random nature of life, and ultimate purposeless point of it, is to see people who were once competent and commanding in life struck down, like a cruel joke, by rapidly spreading terminal cancer. Having watched a despairing friend sink physically and mentally (losing his mind ) in such a short space of time, is enough to sicken anybody.

I once had a friend who married a born again Christian (I think she called herself) who excitedly, told me how God had spoken to him, as he was getting ready to go to church. He'd dropped one of his contact lenses and couldn't find it, but then saw it balancing on the edge of a chair. In all seriousness, he claimed God had caused it to balance there because God had wanted him to go to church!!!

Of one thousand reasons for denying the intervention in human affairs of any kind of divinity, He, and cancer, would top the list!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: