myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sme Good News. (For some of us.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coboardhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is longevity measured in number of years. But, I also wonder about a definition of longevity of life based on intensity. I think any of us who have been involved in a feat, or feats, of endurance are aware of this. In my case, the intensity of the emotions, the clarity of thought, the awareness of the relationship between mind and body...even the intensity of colors, sounds and smells were astounding and life defining.

I can remember, vividly, the details of rocks, trees, sounds, etc. from these episodes. Did I live more intensely, therefore, actually LONGER because I pushed these limits? My memories would say yes.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A man who believes "God" balanced a contact lens on a chair so that he would go to church will be suicidal (and probably homicidal) in short order. A man who finds his contact lens and believes he is favored with a blessing of good fortune will smile most of his life.

-Craig

[quote="GURGLETROUSERS" I once had a friend who married a born again Christian (I think she called herself) who excitedly, told me how God had spoken to him, as he was getting ready to go to church. He'd dropped one of his contact lenses and couldn't find it, but then saw it balancing on the edge of a chair. In all seriousness, he claimed God had caused it to balance there because God had wanted him to go to church!!!

[/quote]
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hear hear to last two contributions. Nail on head!
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah ... but which way do ya go when the ultimate decision confronts you: give up WSing or die? I've watched friends make that choice, and when the chips were down, they chose life (Both had diseases that almost killed them while sailing.)

Lesser (maybe) dilemma: Give up the mental capacity to read and understand a comic book, or WS one more season? THAT one will take some serious thought.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A basic truth about those who live (feel really alive) for physical activity and the sheer intensity of feeling such brings, is that such is multi-dimensional. If one form of the obsession causes health problems, swap to one of your other joys!

If I became allergic to water it would be a bitter blow, but changing allegiance, and hurling myself wholeheartedly into another of my 'joy of movement' obsessions would pretty soon mitigate the disappointment.

The old adage of never putting all your eggs into one basket, is sound advice for contentment!

I always think of extraordinary people such as Francis Chichester. He spent half his life in pioneering flying feats, then completely changed 'tack' (half time!) and took up solo sailing epics. (Around the world, and such.)

An example to all!
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
If one form of the obsession causes health problems, swap to one of your other joys!

Oh, that it were always so simple.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
A basic truth about those who live (feel really alive) for physical activity and the sheer intensity of feeling such brings, is that such is multi-dimensional. If one form of the obsession causes health problems, swap to one of your other joys!

If I became allergic to water it would be a bitter blow, but changing allegiance, and hurling myself wholeheartedly into another of my 'joy of movement' obsessions would pretty soon mitigate the disappointment.

The old adage of never putting all your eggs into one basket, is sound advice for contentment!

I always think of extraordinary people such as Francis Chichester. He spent half his life in pioneering flying feats, then completely changed 'tack' (half time!) and took up solo sailing epics. (Around the world, and such.)

An example to all!

YES! I went off a big drop skiing and injured my back a few years back. So, I changed my skiing style and technique...it took me three years...but, I am back on my game and skiing as well as I ever did...just different.

I don't ice climb much...too hard in the tendons. But, now getting into snow biking for those days the snow for skiing is not as good. Adapt and go for it...good on you GT!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: