myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The end of cambered sails!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
westender

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy the single cam option on a couple of my sails.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the ONLY one camber sail I know of is the HotSailsMaui SpeedFreak
and have NOT seen one live/in action

freerace typically have two

are there other one cam sails ??
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ezzy Lion, one two or none
Arrgh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HSM GP1 in development, Severne Turbo GT (smaller sizes).

http://www.severnesails.com/freeride-sails/severne-turbogt
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Or, perhaps, the cambered sails were always paired with a flat rockered wide slalom board, long blady fin, and mast track well forwards.....that allowed the decent upwind sailing.....

Yes, that's the associated gear on which they first rode. I'm sure you were privy to some of the very earliest versions.

Yet while pretty much everything moved around on shortboards through the mid -90s, they did so as the cam sails got so much better for wind range and performance than their RAF counterparts (a few exceptions come to mind as always). Once the masts got up to speed, so to speak, the performance of all sails took off once again. The rocker lines became even more high aspect which , in turn, allowed more powerful fins etc., etc.

In 1986 I sailed 1985 Simmers with one cam. I used them for everything -blasting, down the line and cruising around. My wave riding was compromised but my ability to catch waves seemed much better as I had more speed and ability to get upwind. For me, at the time, the handling on the wave wasn't as important as jumping over the roof and getting upwind.

rswabsin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"In 1986 I sailed 1985 Simmers with one cam. I used them for everything -blasting, down the line and cruising around."

In the early to mid 90's, Northwave had a line of sails called the Tri-Lite which had a single removable cam that were intended for flat water blasting to wave riding. I thought these sails were brilliant. The cam was very easy to set on the mast and was easily removed. The sails came with an extra 3/4 length batten that would fit into the sleeve of the cammed batten (after it was removed) for wave riding. The upwind performance and powerful jibing ability of these sails was really awesome in flatwater and B&J conditions. These sails were designed for SDM masts but I was surprised to find that the cam fit really well on RDM masts once these became popular. They were a really fun sail.

Rob
shwhiteh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I started sailing formula I originally used a Sailworks retro 10.0 as a bridge to get used to the larger sails and new board. I eventually moved to a full cam 11.0. The retro gave great power and drive upwind, easily equal to my full cam sails. Where it did not perform well was blasting deep off the wind in heavy chop. The motion of the board pounding against the chop, constantly accelerating and decelerating would cause the sail to pump. Thiis "self-pumping" of the sail created control issues with constantly changing sail loads where with the cam sail it is just a matter of point downwind, hang on and enjoy the ride. Off the wind to deep off the wind is where the cams shine!
adywind

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shwhiteh wrote:
Off the wind to deep off the wind is where the cams shine!

Something recreational sailors extremly rarely do.
westender

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know one guy that has a collection and will sail nothing else.

rswabsin wrote:

In the early to mid 90's, Northwave had a line of sails called the Tri-Lite which had a single removable cam

Rob
tramontana00

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing really new here. Bruce P. used his Hucker for strong wind slalom racing with great success. Some conditions are just better suited for no-cam sails. That being said cambered sails will outperform no-cam sails most of the time. PWA guys have to register their sails, six sails max. so no room for too many options. Local racers can take advantage of no-cam sails. Question is, just how many sails do you want to carry around with you?

For freeracing, it makes sense to use no-cam sails. Less expensive, less maintenance, less tuning, easier to rig...if these are the objectives.

For max. performance, cambered sail is the king. More stability, wider range, more down-pressure for more control and speed, better average speed in gusty conditions, better top speed in gusts and better workout Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: