myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Skinny booms are awesome, are they ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeeD

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems it comes only up to 200 cm's, so safely at around 192, if you sail hard and well powered up.
That equates to around a 6 meter sail maximum. Is that big enough for your needs?
Why would a big guy want to use the smallest diameter booms availible? Do you always sail without hooking in?
motogon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeD wrote:
Seems it comes only up to 200 cm's, so safely at around 192, if you sail hard and well powered up.
That equates to around a 6 meter sail maximum. Is that big enough for your needs?
Why would a big guy want to use the smallest diameter booms availible? Do you always sail without hooking in?
Because it's very comfortable ... and yes, I rarely use sails larger 6.0.
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starik333 wrote:
Does anybody have Chinook RDG Carbon Boom? 24.5mm diameter! Any reviews? Is it strong enough for average size guy - 200lbs Smile

Hi There,

I brought one to Hatteras a few weeks ago and had a great time with it. We used it fully extended in pump to plane foiling conditions with a 6.4, all the way down to powered up wave sailing on a 4.0. It was stiff, comfortable, and the new loop and go rear end is pretty sweet!

After taking 5 months off from sailing, then going hard for a week straight, it was nice to ease the forearm pain, and I came away with zero blisters/wear and tear of the hands. Not sure if this is solely because of the boom diameter or not, but I doubt that it hurt things!

http://wind-nc.com
fourrunner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject: Goya Super Skinny Booms Reply with quote

kevinkan wrote:
just a refresh on this thread. measured three booms today

Advertised grip size is:
Streamlined Carbon Wave 140-190: 29mm
Goya Super Skinny 140-190: 24.5mm (must be without EVA grip)
Maui Sails Carbon Wave 140-200: 30mm
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changed to narrower alloy North booms a while back, and was unsure at first, since anything different always takes a while to adapt to. (6' 3" with long fingers to have to wrap around.)

The Eureka moment came in winter sailing with the normal 4mm full neoprene gloves, with the narrower tubing giving a more secure (less muscle strain) wrap around grip. Less tiring!

It seemed so clear that I also tried a narrower sea kayak paddle shaft (not for surfing) but with the normal full neoprene winter mitts (not gloves) it wasn't so clear cut. There was greater strain on the wrist owing to the twisting paddling action.

The wider (stronger?) tubing of the 'old' standard carbon boom may be better in surf, or at least it gives that impression. Do the narrower booms have the same strength? Opinions over here seem to vary!
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been shortboarding for 33 year's, went thru WH gorilla booms, carbon in '89, and most but not all grips, including Fleetwoods oval.
I"m mostly using standard aluminum. In my garage are HPL's, and several Fiberspar carbons. I have tried Maui Sails blue gripped carbons.
The reason I use aluminum is that I weigh only 158, usually sail slightly underpowered with a smaller sail than most anyone my size (except the freestyler's), and I like the smooth forgiving almost "easy" feel of aluminum.
I also don't set my harness lines into a uni line, but rather spread them out around 9" mount to mount.
I'm considered an expert freeride sailor.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with much of the above. Also been avidly windsurfing since 1982, with first custom wave board in 1986. I also weigh in similar to Zirtaeb, and also normally sail slightly underpowered with harness line points about a foot apart, (seat harness), yet rarely have any difficulty getting up onto the plane. But it does raise the point of, what is it that pleases us about windsurfing?

Well my satisfaction comes from that feeling of perfectly 'being in the zone' as they say. NOT full on extreme, as fast as possible, with adrenalin rushes, but simply experiencing that irresistable and comfortable unstoppable motion sensation of fully under control planing. I don't want to be for ever pushing the limits. By my observations, those who windsurf for such reasons are rarely in it for the long term, and soon move on to to other newer (foiling ,it now seems) thing!

No. I think those of us who stay the course(I'm one of the few of the original 'old guard' left still windsurfing at our local beaches) are those who do not need a constant adrenalin fix, but who settle for that magical sensation of harmony, and effortlessly planing and skipping over the sea (whether by long or short board) as though we've discovered the secret of life! (And if there is a secret, I can't think of a much better one.)

I've just had three such great days (Exocet Cross 94 and 4.7) on the trot, and feel reinvigorated, while coming up 80 yeras old in just five months time. But, I can guarantee that, provided I'm still here, I'll be doing just the same in 10 years time, regardless of where or what all the others have moved to!

I'm a windsurfer, not a playboy!!

Laughing Laughing
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally.

The Exocet Cross 94 which I bought new in 2008 has always given the impression of somehow lacking something. It seemed to fall a little short, compared to my other Exocet Crosses. ((84 and 118.) I could never put my finger on it.

Recently, I slotted in an old spare (cheap second hand about 8 years ago, and kept as emergency spare only) Christian Koester 29 wave and style fin, and it has completely transformed the feel of the board. All that I felt was missing is now there! It now matches the smaller 84 Cross, even in 4.7 winds and seas.

It just shows. You are continually discovering surprising things in this game. Nice one, Christian Koester, whoever you are!
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well spoken Gur. I tried to explain to the gotta rig big go fast and crash guys at the lake, why I rig small and use a 3s board. I'll have them read you post.
It got pretty windy at the lake yesterday. I had one of the S.F. bay guys down here for a few days plug in my 96 liter 3s while I stopped for a drink. He is a very good windsurfer always one of the fastest guys out. After a few rides, he came in with a smile on his face and said " now I know what you 3s guys are talking about" Windsurfing offers lots of different experiences. Ease of use and a smooth ride is what I seek these days. Keep living the dream as long as you can
ct-rex

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:

I've just had three such great days (Exocet Cross 94 and 4.7) on the trot, and feel reinvigorated, while coming up 80 yeras old in just five months time. But, I can guarantee that, provided I'm still here, I'll be doing just the same in 10 years time, regardless of where or what all the others have moved to!

Laughing Laughing

Gur, You're an inspiration for us all!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: