myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sierra&vallley runoff supercharging GG currents?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpf18

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:50 am    Post subject: Sierra&vallley runoff supercharging GG currents? Reply with quote

It looks as if all that water feeding into the Bay from the Sierras and Central Valley might be messing with the tidal currents here. At least right now and possibly into the first part of the season? Reason why I'm bringing this up: Saturday afternoon I was out riding the bike and noticed a massive plume of sediment rich, brown water miles out into the ocean. You could see that from one of the higher points in the Sunset (Qunitara). As I passed the span, you saw said brown water gushing out considerably faster than what you would expect to see for the (already respectable) 5kt ebb for the day. Sketch city if you were out sailing for sure. I am crossing the span ever so often, I can't remember seeing an ebb go out like this, not even close.
So I was wondering if that was a one time thing and we shouldn't really expect much impact beyond the norm, or if we're in for tame floods and monster ebbs early in the season. Anybody have any insights?
windward1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google the Oroville Dam Situation.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it affect's the ebb somewhat, adding like maybe 15% to it, so it's not really a huge effect.
What it really affect's is the lowest tides of the day. Like instead of a straight O.O low tide, the water actually can pile up to a 1.0, which is a lot bigger effect.
carl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALL the reservoirs are full (not just Oroville) and dumping water as fast as they can to avert uncontrolled overflow during the next series of storms. Allot of it goes out the GG channel into the ocean. Plus it's still mid winter so there could be more to come. Zirtaeb says it adds 15%, not sure where that stat comes from. I can't find where it's actually measured, but would bet it's more than that at max ebb now, so be careful.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Experience.
Have played in the Bay since 1964, sailing, surfing, waterskiing, windsurfing, minus tides for tidepools and hotsprings, high tides for surfing, always needing to know the amount of water in the bay.
carl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zirtaeb, there's no question you have more experience than almost everybody here.
But these dams haven't overflowed like this, relatively early in winter, in decades. Oroville never used the emergency spillway since it was built. I'm just saying a less experienced person than you, "windsurfing" Crissy "in the channel", may want to use caution due to increased current flow.
(not talking "waterskiing, surfing, tidepooling or hotsprings", they not done in the middle of the GG channel and are most likely safe)
Very Happy
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crissy season doesn't really start for another two-three months or so.....
We've had record EARLY precipation. Doesn't mean it's going to rain the most of any year ever.
Plenty of rainy year's, close to records, in the past 30.
By mid Feb, around '96-97, snow in the Sierras were much higher than this year, yet nobody drowned windsurfing at Crissy by the late spring.
If you're going to panic just to do so, worry about the bacterial and chemical pollution of the bay from all the water running over land that was dry for 10 year's.
And of course, don't drink the water in the bay.
ctuna

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am hoping the rainy pattern doesn't extend into May
the season started pretty late last year. Wasn't due to rain
but it still was late and fluky.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually.....
Experience indicates that rainy year's, especially late rainy year's, tend to delay the start of the windsurfing season, yet also extends the time for NW winds well into June/July.
Drought years are the year's when the season starts early, possibly as early as late Feb for diehards.
Of course, the "start" of windsurfing season really depends on the individual, his schedule, and his stoke.
Several guys I know have logged in well over 20 days of solid planing since mid Dec., and I don't claim to know more than 15% of the windsurfer's in SF Bay Area.
Goodwind

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of water upstream of the bay right now. I was fishing at my Delta weekend home last Saturday and water level was like 3 to 4 feet below the levee top and some gangways leading down to floating docks were instead pointing skyward. I've never seen water level this high before. Kinda scary.

IMG_1291__1487192290_50.174.76.200.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  446.64 KB
 Viewed:  17029 Time(s)

IMG_1291__1487192290_50.174.76.200.jpg

IMG_1301__1487192482_50.174.76.200.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  583.33 KB
 Viewed:  17029 Time(s)

IMG_1301__1487192482_50.174.76.200.jpg

Last edited by Goodwind on Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:50 pm; edited 3 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: