myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
I think i'll rant
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
GT, Don't forget the cobalt that is vital to all those "green" solutions........wind turbines, solar panels, electric vehicle batteries and in Musk's battery gigafactory. Better not to mention the devastation underlying those feel good products. The world is a complex place where difficult choices have to be made. No amount of gross oversimplification will alter that.

Irony alert that green is black and black is green
mac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
GT, Don't forget the cobalt that is vital to all those "green" solutions........wind turbines, solar panels, electric vehicle batteries and in Musk's battery gigafactory. Better not to mention the devastation underlying those feel good products. The world is a complex place where difficult choices have to be made. No amount of gross oversimplification will alter that.

Talking points repeated. Facts reveal auto exhaust far more toxic than the chemicals mrgybe moans about. Can't stand a little competition.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, squabbling and incessant fighting, just as takes place within the animal kingdom. Talking points indeed!

I don't think we (the human race) have ever demonstrated that we are capable of fully controlling our WANTS, and not just our NEEDS. I don't think human history has ever proved otherwise.

Please, somebody, try to assure us that that is about to change!!
mrgybe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
Facts reveal auto exhaust far more toxic than the chemicals mrgybe moans about. Can't stand a little competition.

It's easy for the coffee shop brigade to mock references to the plight of the people in the DRC, and in the rare earth mining districts of China, as "moaning", because conditions in those places are beyond the realms of anything their ignorance can comprehend in their comfortable liberal bubble. I've spent time in the DRC which was recently ranked as the poorest country on earth despite huge natural resources. It's beyond Berkeley's narrow life experience to understand the ten's of thousands of women and their babies lining the roadways with no jobs, nowhere to go, and the next meal being the greatest challenge in their wretched lives. No, he'd rather squeal about the "suffering" of women in the USA when faced with the awful prospect of spending $9 a month to have protected sex. He puffs his chests out about mythical "clean" energy benefits while diminishing the awful toll they take on the most vulnerable. And now he tells us that auto exhaust fumes are more toxic than the dust and other residue from mining the minerals essential to his green solutions to the scourge of carbon energy.

Let's see those facts.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite so Mr. Gybe.

My generation (in our country) have never experienced what the genuinely destitute suffer, both physically and morale wise. The nearest we ever got to some inkling of need was with the strict food rationing we lived through, during the second world war. It was, to us youngsters, bemusing because we didn't fully comprehend the possible consequences. But our parents certainly did! I imagine that, though far far worse, is what these people are now experiencing.

I hasten to add I have no solution. Nor, it seems, do the mighty, who moralise from a position of wealth and privilege!
mac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
mac wrote:
Facts reveal auto exhaust far more toxic than the chemicals mrgybe moans about. Can't stand a little competition.

It's easy for the coffee shop brigade to mock references to the plight of the people in the DRC, and in the rare earth mining districts of China, as "moaning", because conditions in those places are beyond the realms of anything their ignorance can comprehend in their comfortable liberal bubble. I've spent time in the DRC which was recently ranked as the poorest country on earth despite huge natural resources. It's beyond Berkeley's narrow life experience to understand the ten's of thousands of women and their babies lining the roadways with no jobs, nowhere to go, and the next meal being the greatest challenge in their wretched lives. No, he'd rather squeal about the "suffering" of women in the USA when faced with the awful prospect of spending $9 a month to have protected sex. He puffs his chests out about mythical "clean" energy benefits while diminishing the awful toll they take on the most vulnerable. And now he tells us that auto exhaust fumes are more toxic than the dust and other residue from mining the minerals essential to his green solutions to the scourge of carbon energy.

Let's see those facts.

Having been debunked on the toxicity of lithium, mrgybe now turns to cobalt. I think he is trying to make us forget the legacy of the industry he apologizes for. He certainly doesn't want people noticing the 7 million deaths per year from air pollution: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2014/air-pollution/en/

Perhaps a few photographs of the waste left by oil development might help realign priorities. Here's the master: https://www.ted.com/talks/edward_burtynsky_photographs_the_landscape_of_oil

Johnny does it just doesn't work--after all, if properly regulated, cobalt mining is not automatically toxic. I find the irony of the anti-regulator, whose business BFF's fight regulation in every country, not just the US, having a cow about unregulated toxicity. http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/toxic-metal-health-dangers-cobalt/

It must be the cappuccino that pushes his buttons. Or just the talking points that are sent to him by the carbon industry.
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac said:
Quote:
He certainly doesn't want people noticing the 7 million deaths per year from air pollution:

From the first of mac's posts:
Quote:
After analysing the risk factors and taking into account revisions in methodology, WHO estimates indoor air pollution was linked to 4.3 million deaths in 2012 in households cooking over coal, wood and biomass stoves. The new estimate is explained by better information about pollution exposures among the estimated 2.9 billion people living in homes using wood, coal or dung as their primary cooking fuel, as well as evidence about air pollution's role in the development of cardiovascular and respiratory diseases, and cancers.

So, 62% of the 7 million deaths that may be linked to air pollution in some way, are indoor air quality issues in third world countries/environments.

Electric cars, wind turbines, solar panels, or for that matter, any regulations won't help these 2.9 billion folks.

Just to be sure the full story isn't ignored.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
Facts reveal auto exhaust far more toxic than the chemicals mrgybe moans about.

Let's see the facts.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
mac wrote:
Facts reveal auto exhaust far more toxic than the chemicals mrgybe moans about.

Let's see the facts.

I posted the health risks on lithium. I posted the facts, and source, on 58,000 deaths in this country due to auto exhaust. Lithium health risk is trivial compared to petroleum risks. But maybe you don't understand exponents?

How about those nice pictures of land trashed by petroleum development. Gives you a warm fuzzy feeling?
J64TWB

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are like lemmings going over the cliff.

Half of us want to slow it down by electing officials who would implement policy to slow it down and ensure safety, an even economic playing field, a well funded public sector for science, education, clean air and water and infrastructure. The other half wants no rules, scorched Earth and a bullheaded parade over the cliff as fast as possible just so they can have their cake now! Oh and with guns blazing and bullets flying around schools, movie theaters, restaurants and bars. Selfish, greedy and insensitive group those guys. Kind of reminds me of the zombie apocalypse where every man is for himself and you take and kill what you need for your own unjustifiable personal existence.

The same bunch wants to regulate the most basic of human rights and what America was built on. What religion I can be to enter my country, what bathroom I can use, if I can get married, where I can put my church, which religion is the better one, where I can get birth control, what’s in my sisters uterus, if I can burn a stupid flag in protest of you preventing these personal rights. Can you say contradiction? Get the fuck out! You guys are just silly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: