myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
wave sailing in onshore wind
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta say, this pretty much covers it for me. I blew little beer bubbles
out my nose reading " Shore never refers to "not the shore""

Shorely you are shore it's not the shore. ;*)

-Craig

PeconicPuffin wrote:

The word "shore" refers to the shore. Shore never refers to "not the shore". Wherever you are, the shore is where the shore is. Onshore wind is wind blowing towards the shore. Onshore wave sailing is sailing in a wave venue with the wind blowing onshore, that is, towards the shore.
westender

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seem like the last few years we've been getting too many days in the Gorge when it's not even sideshore wind. It's dumping down on your head or spinning in circles. You feel the pull in your sail but you don't accelerate. Maybe go east?
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PP, try a free ride board with a wave fin, and a sail similar to a phantom. 6 battens, full shape down low. stability, acceleration, power and speed without much sacrifice in cornering.

again, my key to success this past sunday, planing 99.8% of the session. recap, 45+ degrees onshore, 20-30 mph. waves up to double overhead. super lit on 6.8 then 6.2 phantoms. same wind speeds side to side off, would have used a meter less.

usual traps when sailing onshore:

trying to use too small of gear

not running away from stuff that will engulf you or force a huge, stalling jump.

not recognizing when to carve upwind or down to keep from jumping.

not having the technique to run over white waters and stay planing with little to no loss of speed. run hard, carve up for a fraction of a second, offer the bottom of board at oblique, then immediately toe pressure + MFP hard and sheet home to maintain speed. AND also knowing if the push ids too hard to allow this technique.

key to all this: EXPERIENCE, not forums.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
I gotta say, this pretty much covers it for me. I blew little beer bubbles
out my nose reading " Shore never refers to "not the shore""

Shorely you are shore it's not the shore. ;*)

I shore like to be thorough!

Meanwhile I'll go with Zirtaeb's characterization: "This thread is about ONSHORE wind sailing in the surf. "

bred2shred

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
It's not the sailing direction or manuever that confounds most ocean sailing sailors in onshore winds, but it's the effects of the waves outside of the sailor, the current's in the whitewater, and the sailor's imaginative NEED to make it outside to ride a wave back IN, that confounds most onshore ocean wave sailors.

The NEED to make it outside is much less "imagined" when there is a jetty waiting 200 yards downwind from you or the penalty of a 1/2 mile "walk of shame" for being denied.

zirtaeb wrote:
I think this thread is about ONSHORE wind sailing in the surf.
As such, you want to be slightly overpowered, or just very powered up, as opposed to sideshore wind sailing, where you ride a wave to increase your board speed.
Onshore wind, you're working upwind, or away from the shore, so more power is appreciated. Underpowered, you can plane, but only with a row of whitewater, so you're heading for a LONG walk back to your launch site.

Totally agree. I would not say that I ever want to be "nuked" when wave sailing, but particularly in onshore conditions, I would err towards having too much power rather than not enough. You can always let the big gusts blow through. I'd rather have to bleed off some excess power now and then than get pummeled in the surf and deal with long treks back upwind to the launch site because I didn't have enough juice to get out.

sm
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bred2shred wrote:
I would personally always prefer to be in the range of powered to over-powered as opposed to under-powered to powered

Watch out, Bred -- these guys criticize that concept with vigor.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
bred2shred wrote:
I would personally always prefer to be in the range of powered to over-powered as opposed to under-powered to powered

Watch out, Bred -- these guys criticize that concept with vigor.

Only when it comes to wave sailing, which you've demonstrated you know nothing about.

As I've never tried onshore wave sailing on a SUP I will consider bred2shred's tactics.

GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of our North Sea problems is having a solid long travel ground swell (generated by the north wind rear of depressions tracking from Iceland to Norway) combined with a local Easterly onshore wind. Our coast faces east, but the northerly swells always bend inwards to come straight at us.

Many have trashed both gear and themselves (shoulder injuries quite 'popular') in the impact zone. Many of us now prefer to be on a more floaty board with a smaller rig, and zip about in the white water, as Zirtaeb stated. The advantage of that is when, not if, you do wipe out, you've more chance of hanging on to the board straps without injury, and the smaller rig can take more punishment without smashing. (My Zeta was good there.)

Few now bother trying to break out in big swells, in such winds, and that's when we really do envy kiters. As long as they don't drop it, they seem able to pull up through about anything.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeconicPuffin wrote:

Meanwhile I'll go with Zirtaeb's characterization: "This thread is about ONSHORE wind sailing in the surf. "

Yep ... and Zirt's opening post (and Angulo's comments) supported ... in fact triggered -- my interpretation. Sorry, but Josh and Lee trump your limited interpretation IMO.
windoggi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gorge doesn't have shores. It has banks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: