myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing Trip - VELA Resorts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mamero

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Windsurfing Trip - VELA Resorts Reply with quote

I'm am thinking of planning a winter trip to Aruba sometime between January and early April. The goal is for my wife and I to improve and/or learn water starts, blasting in the foot straps, and carve gybes. From watching the Dasher videos and reading others comments it looks like Aruba is good location to work on these skills. Flat and shallow water.

A few questions for those who have been.

1. What is the best time of year to go overall? I'm looking looking for consistent wind that will accommodate intermediates without being excessively overpowered. I don't need nukin'. Just moderate and steady.

2. Water Temperature. Is the water comfortably warm or unbearably hot? Last year my wife and I did a windsurfing session in Kuantun, Malaysia. The water there was SO hot we had to cut our session short after just one hour due to heat exhaustion. I'm used to Vancouver weather. In Vancouver even in the peak of summer when it's 30+ degrees C, if you get too warm you just jump in and cool down. Malaysia, not so. In Malaysia the air temp was 35-40c and water was just as warm. There was no way to escape the heat.

3. Is Vela the best place to rent? They seem to get food reviews.

4. Any good places to stay that are economical. Any other ways to make a windsurfing trip to Aruba easier on the bank account?

5. Any other relevant tips to share?

Thanks for the feedback!

Last edited by mamero on Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
AndreiA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: ARUBA Windsurfing Trip - NOT Reply with quote

True, Dasher videos are from Aruba (quite a few years old by the way).
I would NOT recommend windsurfing vacation in Aruba. Reasons:
1) New hotels create a wind shadow. Away from the shore wind picks up and becomes steady, but it's getting choppy. In combination with off-shore wind, dangerous.
2) The place is shallow only close to the shore (and there are corals)

Bonaire is only 30 min flight away, and that's a different story. I've been there many times. You can read here http://www.na-windsurfing.com/TravelNotes/default.html. A bit outdated, will update shortly.
Water temperature about 27-28C. Cooler than Aruba (the island is small). Stable wind Dec-April, typical sail is 5.5. Flat water, large shallow lagoon with mostly sand bottom. Windsurf place offered better pricing (insurance included) and better choice of equipment.
And sorry, it won't be easy on your bank account.
Awalkspoiled

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Andrei - the flats can actually be a lousy place to learn because you’re sailing in and out of wind shadows until you’re well offshore and in deep water. Trying new stuff half a mile out in 20 knots with Venezuela the only leeward shore is a little intimidating.

The hazard to watch out for that might not occur to you is that the water is just full of dead coral particles which will chew your hands to bits if you aren’t well prepared. Gloves can help - Footjoy makes a durable wet-weather golf glove which works OK. They’re really cheap so bring two pairs.

I’d agree also with the Bonaire recommendation.
mamero

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions. So Aruba is not necessary the ideal destination. Bonaire would be better. I quickly looked at flights from Vancouver to Bonaire for early 2017. Flights are only a couple times a week and the are EXPENSIVE!

This got me thinking that maybe there are other windsurfing destinations that are interesting places to visit in their own right. Looking at all the destinations on the Vela website I see they have a location on Tobago. Trinidad and Tobago is a destination I've always been interested in seeing, flights are much cheaper, AND with any luck I could time it with carnival in February! Very Happy

So what is Tobago like as a destination for learning as an intermediate?

Finally, below is a list of Vela resorts. How would you rank these destinations for winter intermediate windsurfing and why?

Aruba
Baja
Belize
Cabarete
Columbia
Brazil
Hatteras
Hood River
Maui
St. Martin
Philippines (Also an interesting destination)
Tobago
Turks & Caicos
manuel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd second Bonaire. Although I'm unsure about the windy season there.
Cabarete can be challenging, some people enjoy the swell.
Jan-Apr is a good period. Feb and Apr are good March can be. The year cannot be worse than this year! From Canada, I think plane tickets are affordable and you can fly directly to POP.

A two-week stay will guarantee some rides, there's also surfing and paddling if that's your thing. There are lots of activities to do in Cab. The restaurants and hotels are all on the beach which is somewhat sheltered from the beach, so no very enjoyable for the rest of the family.

marc5

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really a shame about Aruba. I was there quite a while ago when they were building hotels on the beach as fast as possible. They killed the golden goose (wind). Hotels and offshore winds do not mix.
AndreiA

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Yes, flights to Bonaire are expensive Reply with quote

Yes, generally if you can get to Bonaire for under $1000 (Canadian) - it is good. This year I got very lucky with United sale and flew in Sep for 'just' $720
We occasionally split our flights in Miami, St. Martin, Aruba or Curacao, spending some nights there, and then used InselAir to Bonaire. Depends on air sale.

Just in case, here is a good place to stay at Bonaire.
https://www.facebook.com/Bonaire-Oceanfront-Condo-1786397871604236/
If you come with friends (2 couples) the price becomes reasonable.
mamero

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right... flights now booked for Trinidad & Tobago. One week in Port of Spain for Carnival followed by one week on Tobago to Windsurf with Vela. Excited! I hope my Vancouver conditioning can cope windsurfing in the tropics without melting. Wink
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mamero wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. So Aruba is not necessary the ideal destination. Bonaire would be better. I quickly looked at flights from Vancouver to Bonaire for early 2017. Flights are only a couple times a week and the are EXPENSIVE!

If your goals are "for my wife and I to improve and/or learn water starts, blasting in the foot straps, and carve gybes" start planning a 2018 trip to Bonaire. Nothing compares. Your wife will thank you.

There is a windsurfing travel agent named Ann Phelan who specializes in Bonaire trips, and she doesn't charge you (she makes her $ from the hotels, rentals etc that she books you in to.) Enjoy Tobago! And when you want the ideal learning environment, go to Bonaire.

NOVAAN

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

April is the best month of the year at South padre island. If you are renting gear then check out World Winds at Bird Island. If you can bring your own gear then Spi is great. Both spots have shallow, flat and warm water. Air temp will be 80 water will be mid 70's. You can camp and sail right at bird island and they have really good gear to rent. Cheap condo rent near by. SPI has a few places to rent and sail from. The main spot to sail from is the flats. A few miles from town. Pill money has a nice spot in town with grass and shade. He has some rentals but not the best gear. Its a very user friendly spot. The wind can be strong but the water stays smooth and you can stand up anywhere on the bay. Most days are 15 to 22 mph. Lots of nice windsurfer's in town with a ton of time on the water to help if you have questions. AND its in the USA mostly. You can call me if you would like more info. Tony 805 219 0435....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: