myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Smart Phone Proximity sensor triggered by waterproof bag

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alena

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Smart Phone Proximity sensor triggered by waterproof bag Reply with quote

Hello
So I broke down and decided to get a so called smart phone.
Turns out the "Smart phone" proximity sensor that shuts off the screen when things (such as your ear) get close to it i.e. when making a call
is triggered by the waterproof bag so when you push call on the screen the screen turns black and you can not put in extensions or access codes.

I just wasted too much time looking this up and did not solve this.

Does anybody have a simple solution?
Personal experience?
There are other solutions which I do not feel up to.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Alena
motogon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They use front-facing camera as sensor, so just make sure your waterproof bags non-clear part not blocking camera lens.
Alena

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sensor is triggered by the clear bag.
Not sooo simple
Alena
bred2shred

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have an answer for your specific question, but I will tell you that in my experience, every waterproof phone bag I have used for windsurfing or sailing has eventually leaked, destroying the phone. I would proceed with caution and possibly consider using something other than a bag such as a Lifeproof case or an Otterbox. I have not used either, but they seem more robust than the bags and I believe some of them come with a guarantee where they will replace your phone if the case leaks. I imagine using one of these cases would also resolve the sensor issue you're having.

sm
JohnnyA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alena,

I would say the SIMPLE solution is the leave the cell phone in the car, disconnect , and go rip it up on the water

happy sailing

John
Alena

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:31 pm    Post subject: The solution Reply with quote

Thanks
Looks like Lifeproof and Otterbox make cases that are compatible with the infamous proximity sensor. The catch is that they make these cases for the most expensive phones.
I mean one could buy a very nice new used board for the money. It is what it is , still cheaper than having two phones.
I was hoping for a cheap solution as you all seem quite technical people.
And by the way leaving the phone onshore is not an option I do not carry it to chat . It is either windsurf with the thing or not windsurf at all so it is clear cut.
Nice sunny and nearly windy day tomorrow.

Alena
justall

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some phones allow the proximity feature to be disabled. What make/model phone do you have? We can check if you might be overlooking a setting adjustment for that.
shreddbob

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alena.
Have you considered the Nautilus Lifeline? I have the original model (sold for $300) which is a marine radio and a GPS beacon device. They don't sell this model any more but you could find a used one. Now they sell a smaller less expensive ($200) unit which is a GPS beacon device only. Either one would fit in the front pocket of a windsurfing life vest (I have a Neil Pryde vest). Personally I like the old unit better even though it's a bit bulkier, because it has the option to chat over VHF instead of the only option being to send out your GPS coordinates and wonder if anybody received them and is on the way. Either model requires no waterproof bag. All you have to do is keep the O-ring gasket clean, and open up the lid when you're not using it so the gasket doesn't get compressed in storage. This way you don't have to risk your smart phone getting destroyed.

New, GPS only, unit:
http://nautiluslifeline.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zqa0_dFbz4

Original, Marine VHF and GPS, unit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUT-FwZ75eY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ctn9Kj2fLVY

Bob
Alena

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Disabling Proximity Sensor Reply with quote

Hello guys
1. I use the phone to actually talk if someone needs something, i.e. I am on call on some free days when I windsurf, so I need the phone feature, not the safety one.
I did not decide yet which phone to get as I am looking for one where I can disable the proximity feature without cutting the wire to it or getting into the software.
If anyone knows such a phone please let me know.
I nearly got a phone from Verizon last one night but failed my own security check, questions meant to protect my accounts- I could not answer them myself.
Maybe a good thing as the cost was 700$ which would be a super nice "new" used windsurfer, right?
Thanks
Alena
Alena

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: Simple Reply with quote

The simple solution is to get an I phone and use it on speaker mode.
This does not turn off the screen when you make a call.
Or get any phone that has a matching "Lifeproof" case which is supposedly waterproof and does not interfere with the sensor.
End of this story thankfully.

Alena[/b]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: