myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Assisted Suicide

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:42 am    Post subject: Assisted Suicide Reply with quote

I read the post on the other page about a poor woman, apparently a local windsurfer who chose her end apparently in Belgium where it is sanctioned by the government.
First I want to say to her family how very sorry I am that she has passed and that they suffered along with her.
Next I want to say that I am very uncomfortable with government sanctioned assisted suicide. I believe that the inevitable, unavoidable likely outcome from going down this slippery slope is "people cookies".
There exists in this current day many ways to get this done without Government involvement. Doctors will provide the morphine necessary with a wink and a nod https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/05/doctors-secret-language-for-assisted-suicide/393968/ or if you have the contacts one can obtain enough horse to just float away peacefully.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Assisted Suicide Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:
There exists in this current day many ways to get this done without Government involvement. Doctors will provide the morphine necessary with a wink and a nod

OTOH, many doctors and entire hospitals in Washington state PUBLICLY ANNOUNCE that they will disobey legally executed Powers of Attorney, living wills, and even DNR orders. I hope to hell some spouse sues them and gets millions out of such self-appointed gods. Besides the obvious problem of prolonged, horrible, sometimes intractable pain and other suffering on the patient's part, spouses of such patients die much earlier from the stress on them.

I publicly vow every chance I get (to help me get the courage to follow through) to circumvent this kind of end on my own terms even if it takes a violent, messy, and highly publicized act in front of the media as a protest against the GD government telling me what I can or cannot do with my OWN damned life. One problem with that is that it requires terminal patients to do this much earlier than assisted suicide would require in order to be CERTAIN it can be done without any help that an aggressive AG could twist into a crime. The patient would have to procure his own means, opportunity, publicity, venue, etc., which could require taking care of business many months, often even years, sooner than openly and legally assisted suicide may allow.

There's even a not-so-obvious flaw in that approach, too. I know several patients who were told by major national cancer centers you've all heard of to just go home and die, because "Medical science can do no more for you. You have only a few months left." Why is that relevant? Because the guys I'm talking about were given that advice 15-20 years ago and are still traveling the world, some of them playing tennis and soccer today, because they found better oncologists.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: