myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services
 
Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
North Korea
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mac



Joined: 07 Mar 1999
Posts: 9612

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting take on Tillerson's efforts and relationship with Trump, from the Washington Post:

Quote:
Maybe what animates him is the work of being America’s chief diplomat (well, sorta). This is what my Washington Post colleague David Ignatius suggested late last week:

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson has often been the silent man in the Trump foreign policy team. But out of the spotlight, he appears to be crafting a broad strategy aimed at working with China to resolve the North Korea crisis and with Russia to stabilize Syria and Ukraine.

The Tillerson approach focuses on personal diplomacy, in direct contacts with Chinese and Russian leaders, and through private channels to North Korea. His core strategic assumption is that if the United States can subtly manage its relations with Chinese President Xi Jinping and Russian President Vladimir Putin — and allow those leaders to take credit for successes — complex regional problems can be solved effectively.

Tillerson appears unfazed by criticism that he has been a poor communicator and by recent talk of discord with President Trump. His attitude isn’t exactly “take this job and shove it,” but as a former ExxonMobil chief executive, he doesn’t need to make money or Washington friends — and he clearly thinks he has more urgent obligations than dealing with the press.

Two things. First, as I already pointed out, Tillerson’s neglect of some aspects of his job puts extra pressure on him to produce deliverables at the other aspects of his job. The problem is that there is meager evidence that Tillerson’s private diplomacy has yielded anything. There is more evidence that Tillerson’s relationship with the president is strained. That is, in fact, the precise moment when “Washington friends” are desperately needed. But the Secretary of State cannot even count on the support of the Foreign Service at this point.

Second, Tillerson’s theory of diplomacy is bananas. Sure, personal relationships matter, but it has become increasingly clear that China, Russia and the United States have different policy preferences on North Korea, as the watering down of the proposed United Nations sanctions reveals. Despite louder grumbling in Beijing, Xi will not take any risky action toward North Korea. Putin has even less skin in this game, and has soured on Tillerson. Giving either of them credit for a successful resolution to the crisis will not be enough to get them to take the lead. Indeed, that’s pretty much a basic lesson of international diplomacy, but it’s one Tillerson has yet to learn.

If quiet diplomacy isn’t really the thing that motivates Tillerson, what does motivate him? In my conversations with those at the State Department, as well as those covering it, the one idea that seems to animate the secretary of state is reorganizing and streamlining the department. But last week, Senate Appropriations Committee members decided that whatever Tillerson was planning to do to Foggy Bottom, they did not like it. According to Foreign Policy’s Robbie Gramer:

In a stark repudiation of the Trump administration, lawmakers on Thursday passed a spending bill that overturned the president’s steep proposed cuts to foreign aid and diplomacy. Folded into the bill are management amendments that straitjacket some of Secretary of State Rex Tillerson’s efforts to redesign the State Department.

The Senate Appropriations Committee approved $51 billion for the State Department, foreign operations, and related programs in its 2018 appropriations bill — almost $11 billion above President Trump’s request. …

Among other things, the bill provides over $6 billion for humanitarian assistance — almost $1 billion above the administration’s request. The panel is also restoring $10 million in U.S. funding for the U.N. climate change agency, overruling Trump’s call to end spending on it. In a surprising move, the committee also passed an amendment overturning Trump’s policies limiting funding and access to women’s reproductive healthcare and family planning abroad.

The budget rebuff was surprising. Sure, budgets proposed by the president rarely get through Congress. And the legislative branch has been known to authorize greater greater spending in some areas than the executive branch would like. Still, Congress usually does not act like this toward the State Department. The constraints on Tillerson’s ability to reorganize the department, such as restrictions on the size of the Policy Planning Staff, are equally surprising.
The rebuff was not just about the budget though. Reuters’ Patricia Zengerle notes that the Appropriations Committee also authored a report about the State Department. It is pretty forthright:

In the report released on Friday accompanying the legislation, the committee criticized the administration’s request to cut spending on such operations by 30 percent from the year ending on Sept. 30, 2017.

“The lessons learned since September 11, 2001, include the reality that defense alone does not provide for American strength and resolve abroad. Battlefield technology and firepower cannot replace diplomacy and development,” it read.

“The administration’s apparent doctrine of retreat, which also includes distancing the United States from collective and multilateral dispute resolution frameworks, serves only to weaken America’s standing in the world,” it said.

So, to sum up: Tillerson’s efforts to convert the North Korean issue into a success in personal diplomacy will likely fail. His efforts to reorganize the State Department are likely to be thwarted by Congress.

There seems to be little reason that Tillerson is continuing as secretary of state. Maybe he should walk away now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
real-human



Joined: 02 Jul 2011
Posts: 6676
Location: on earth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

new sanctions a waste of time... Trump could not get China to impose tough sanctions...

trumps negotiation skills are worthless, he is a joke to the world.

Trump should offer to the NK to build a trump tower there....

you know he said he had nothing to do with Russia and it turns out he signed a letter of intent after he was running for president to move forward with a trump tower.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-softens-n-korea-resolution-ahead-un-vote-081421298.html?soc_trk=gcm&soc_src=69f70237-124f-3ea9-acd0-fc922af945e2&.tsrc=notification-brknews

Quote:
During tough negotiations, the United States dropped initial demands for a full oil embargo and a freeze on the foreign assets of North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un in a bid to win support from China and Russia.

_________________
when good people stay silent the right wing are the only ones heard.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
real-human



Joined: 02 Jul 2011
Posts: 6676
Location: on earth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NK does it again spits in trumps face.

Remember they escalated their nuke and missiles when Bush doctrine of invading a nation that did not attack first.

again the odds are they have several subs with nuclear weapons 14 miles off our shores in Canadian and Mexican area waters that can level the costs they are on in minutes with no possible defense known to man-kind. the nukes they made and tested when Bush called them the axis of evil are good enough to destroy the USA and the media is not saying a word about it.

These new missile tests and nuke tests are for regional warfare to take out Japan, Guam, South Korea.

remember his sub commanders MUST be on high alert that is any aggressive behavior by the USA is done, or if Kim can not contact them to destroy the USA. he does not need long range missiles using subs and he already i think many years ago demonstrated he can launch missiles from his subs.

again the media is not even giving the american public the information they should have about this suicide march.

again the only country that will be destroyed harmed is USA and Canada, and s korea and Japan. China does not care and Putin would love it because we are the only threat to him too. The rest of the world will be just fine.


https://uk.news.yahoo.com/north-korea-fires-missile-pyongyang-towards-east-south-221111262.html?soc_trk=gcm&soc_src=69f70237-124f-3ea9-acd0-fc922af945e2&.tsrc=notification-brknews
North Korea fires missile over Japan, lands far out in the Pacific

Quote:
By Jack Kim and William Mallard

SEOUL/TOKYO (Reuters) - North Korea fired a missile on Friday that flew over Japan's northern Hokkaido far out into the Pacific Ocean, South Korean and Japanese officials said, further ratcheting up tensions after Pyongyang's recent test of a powerful nuclear bomb.

The missile flew over Japan, landing in the Pacific about 2,000 km (1,240 miles) east of Hokkaido, Japan Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga told reporters in a hastily organised media conference.

"These repeated provocations on the part of North Korea are unpermissible and we protest in the strongest words," Suga said.

The unidentified missile reached an altitude of about 770 km (480 miles) and flew 3,700 km (2,300 miles), according to South Korea's military - far enough to reach the U.S. Pacific territory of Guam.

Last month, North Korea fired a missile from similar area near the capital Pyongyang that also flew over Hokkaido into the ocean.

South Korea said it had fired a missile test into the sea to coincide with North Korea's launch. The presidential Blue House has called an urgent National Security Council meeting. Japan also convened a National Security Council meeting.

_________________
when good people stay silent the right wing are the only ones heard.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
techno900



Joined: 28 Mar 2001
Posts: 2803

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baja said:
Quote:
again the odds are they have several subs with nuclear weapons 14 miles off our shores in Canadian and Mexican area waters that can level the costs they are on in minutes with no possible defense known to man-kind. the nukes they made and tested when Bush called them the axis of evil are good enough to destroy the USA and the media is not saying a word about it.

These new missile tests and nuke tests are for regional warfare to take out Japan, Guam, South Korea.


FYI:
Quote:

Report: North Korea completing work on new SLBM submarines

Sept. 14 (UPI) -- North Korea may have completed 80 percent of the work needed on submarines capable of launching SLBMs, or submarine-launched ballistic missiles, according to a Japanese newspaper.

The Tokyo Shimbun reported Thursday that Pyongyang has two or three missile-launch capable submarines that are almost ready to be deployed.

The newspaper was citing a North Korean source who spoke on the condition of anonymity. The submarines can be equipped with the newly developed Pukguksong-3, according to the report, and would join the 2,000-ton Sinpo-class submarine that has only one launcher.

North Korea's submarines under development are bigger. They would have a displacement of 3,000 tons and would be equipped with multiple launchers.
The new submarines are capable of staying submerged for longer periods of time because of air-independent propulsion technology that would allow the non-nuclear submarine to operate without access to atmospheric oxygen.
The engine of the submarine is being built at the Pukchung Machinery Factory in Yongchon, North Pyongan Province, Tokyo Shimbun's source said.
North Korea is building new weapons at a rapid pace, following an order from Kim Jong Un issued in June 2016.

Kim had told military officers a new submarine must be built before Sept. 9, 2018, the 70th anniversary of the founding day of the country.
North Korea launched the SLBM Pukguksong-2 on Feb. 12, and displayed a new missile during its April 15 military parade that experts have surmised may be the Pukguksong-3.

In August, Pyongyang's Workers' Party newspaper Rodong Sinmun published an image of the North Korean leader, showing Kim Jong Un in a room that included what appeared to be missile parts, and a poster that read, "Pukguksong-3," which has yet to undergo testing.

The U.S. Senate is reviewing a 2018 defense bill that includes a proposal to reconsider the relocation of submarine-launched nuclear cruise missiles to the Asia-Pacific, Radio Free Asia reported Thursday.

From upi.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
real-human



Joined: 02 Jul 2011
Posts: 6676
Location: on earth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
baja said:
Quote:
again the odds are they have several subs with nuclear weapons 14 miles off our shores in Canadian and Mexican area waters that can level the costs they are on in minutes with no possible defense known to man-kind. the nukes they made and tested when Bush called them the axis of evil are good enough to destroy the USA and the media is not saying a word about it.

These new missile tests and nuke tests are for regional warfare to take out Japan, Guam, South Korea.


FYI:
Quote:

Report: North Korea completing work on new SLBM submarines

Sept. 14 (UPI) -- North Korea may have completed 80 percent of the work needed on submarines capable of launching SLBMs, or submarine-launched ballistic missiles, according to a Japanese newspaper.

The Tokyo Shimbun reported Thursday that Pyongyang has two or three missile-launch capable submarines that are almost ready to be deployed.

The newspaper was citing a North Korean source who spoke on the condition of anonymity. The submarines can be equipped with the newly developed Pukguksong-3, according to the report, and would join the 2,000-ton Sinpo-class submarine that has only one launcher.

North Korea's submarines under development are bigger. They would have a displacement of 3,000 tons and would be equipped with multiple launchers.
The new submarines are capable of staying submerged for longer periods of time because of air-independent propulsion technology that would allow the non-nuclear submarine to operate without access to atmospheric oxygen.
The engine of the submarine is being built at the Pukchung Machinery Factory in Yongchon, North Pyongan Province, Tokyo Shimbun's source said.
North Korea is building new weapons at a rapid pace, following an order from Kim Jong Un issued in June 2016.

Kim had told military officers a new submarine must be built before Sept. 9, 2018, the 70th anniversary of the founding day of the country.
North Korea launched the SLBM Pukguksong-2 on Feb. 12, and displayed a new missile during its April 15 military parade that experts have surmised may be the Pukguksong-3.

In August, Pyongyang's Workers' Party newspaper Rodong Sinmun published an image of the North Korean leader, showing Kim Jong Un in a room that included what appeared to be missile parts, and a poster that read, "Pukguksong-3," which has yet to undergo testing.

The U.S. Senate is reviewing a 2018 defense bill that includes a proposal to reconsider the relocation of submarine-launched nuclear cruise missiles to the Asia-Pacific, Radio Free Asia reported Thursday.

From upi.com


Nice find and good article BUT... , a good description of the future but horrible of old-time capabilities. standard missiles they had a long time ago can be armed with nuke warheads it is very simple, it is just the range and accuracy are pathetic. But when launching from 14 miles and you can be off plus or minus 500 miles it does not matter. Nukes for EMP do not need accuracy when shot from a close range of a few hundred miles or so. BTW these could even be loaded onto a fishing boat and launched from international waters. again accuracy is not needed, you see the shining lights of a city ffrom 150 miles away and fire at will by sight launch.

What is interestinf from the article is as I said the Bush doctrine of attacking dictators without the world backing you, IE with lies to add. That was the ramp up initially with N. Korea that made them a nuclear weapon nation. Then again we see in the article once it was clear Trump was the repugnant candidate the next major escalation of NK nuke explosion.

Quote:
North Korea is building new weapons at a rapid pace, following an order from Kim Jong Un issued in June 2016.


The US putting nukes in the asia pacific is worthless we can already destroy NK in a blink of the eye from here. And as I said the two biggest feeders of NK are china and russia and they could care less if NK is gone as long as the USA is gone. Both China and Russia leaders would benefit tremendously if USA was leveled to never be a threat to their dictators. Neither Putin or china leaders even care if millions of their own dies just like Kim. As long as they have their riches of the rest of their country they can dominate. Again this is the perfect setup right now for Putin and China leaders.

It really is time to tell China and Putin at the UN our weapons will level them if NK launches one single emp weapon. And specifically where the Chinese leaders are and Putin, and that there will be several subs that will hold back to go after them repeatedly in years to come even if there is no USA. Unfortunately, Trump has escalated this.

_________________
when good people stay silent the right wing are the only ones heard.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
real-human



Joined: 02 Jul 2011
Posts: 6676
Location: on earth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rocketman revenge,

remember one of the EMP tests done by the USA was with a simple weather balloon launch mechanism. all the Koreans need to do is make sure the wind is going the right way, or not the wrong way, launch from international waters 14 miles out and gee everything within 500 miles potentially. It really is that simple. even from a fishing boat. Hawaii, Guam, LA, Seattle, San Diego are easily gone. And that is with a simple nuke technology they made under Bush.

and if they have thought it through, same with the east coast. again for sure

_________________
when good people stay silent the right wing are the only ones heard.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MalibuGuru



Joined: 11 Nov 1993
Posts: 6673

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news that the entire left on the west coast will be eliminated
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
real-human



Joined: 02 Jul 2011
Posts: 6676
Location: on earth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalibuGuru wrote:
Good news that the entire left on the west coast will be eliminated


you are one sick american hater. You have so much Putin blood in ya...

you really are deplorable in your hate of americans... actually more than deplorable.

_________________
when good people stay silent the right wing are the only ones heard.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nw30



Joined: 21 Dec 2008
Posts: 4190
Location: The eye of the universe, Cen. Cal. coast

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

real-human wrote:
MalibuGuru wrote:
Good news that the entire left on the west coast will be eliminated


you are one sick american hater. You have so much Putin blood in ya...

you really are deplorable in your hate of americans... actually more than deplorable.

Yet he lives here, unlike most American haters who find another place to live, someplace like, lets see, oh yeah, like in BAJA, because they are too scared to live here.

_________________
I don't drink the 'cool' aid, I drink tequila, it's more honest.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
real-human



Joined: 02 Jul 2011
Posts: 6676
Location: on earth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
real-human wrote:
MalibuGuru wrote:
Good news that the entire left on the west coast will be eliminated


you are one sick american hater. You have so much Putin blood in ya...

you really are deplorable in your hate of americans... actually more than deplorable.

Yet he lives here, unlike most American haters who find another place to live, someplace like, lets see, oh yeah, like in BAJA, because they are too scared to live here.


Benedict Arnold fought for America in the military so did right-wing hero Tim McVeigh... They did their treason/betrayal terrorism in the USA.

_________________
when good people stay silent the right wing are the only ones heard.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 13 of 15

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

myiW | Weather | Community | Membership | Support | Log in
like us on facebook
© Copyright 1999-2007 WeatherFlow, Inc Contact Us Ad Marketplace

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group