myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Computer Prediction Line Missing In Action?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windfind

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I will ask IT to look into the missing gray line on the mouse over pop up in classic IW.

The gray line whether from the classic IW. or the geeky IW. is the "Quicklook" model output.

It is definitely not your best bet for getting an accurate idea of the wind at a specific site. But it is very very fast compared to the new IW.

Mike
windfind

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is 8PM at the Florida IT office but they will try to fix the issue before leaving work.

The spot price of cloud space really spiked today and all of our models are running slow and that could be the issue. In which case we will just have to wait.....

Mike
cbknap

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so there were/are several "gray lines"

1. USED TO BE that when you clicked on the DYNAMIC MAP on www.iwindsurf.com it allowed members to chose which models they wanted overlayed over the machine wind obs. So as you watched the wind come up on the sensors you could see whether it was matching, for instance, the WRAMS, which to my understanding is a high-res 1 km model based on the NAM global forecast model. That DYNAMIC MAP could also be scrolled back and forth and you could mouse over yesterday's graf and get readings for gust/lull and direction VERY VERY HELPFUL and unfortunately, long gone. iwindsurf tech guys told me it was based on some old code which no longer works on modern browsers and can not easily be rebuilt.

2. As well when you moused over the regional wind map and put your cursor over a specific site that same grey line showed up, apparently the same WRAMS model data. That still shows on my computer although it did go missing for a while on Friday or Saturday,

3. I have a completely different beef, which is that the WRAMS model, at least for Southern California, has become completely useless. For weeks now it has been forecasting 20 plus mph days for Cabrillo and Seal. In actual fact the wind has been GUSTING to the WRAMS model output for average, sort of.

4. Does the WRAMS model even still exist? The www.iwindsurf site still lists it as a model in the title, and on some charts, but when you click on the details there is no mention of the WRAMS, only this:

WF-WRF - WeatherFlow Weather Research and Forecasting Model - A Weatherflow exclusive. This model is available to our premium customers in limited areas. The resolution varies from 1 to 9km. We use our own proprietary network of sensors to seed the model which enables the model to initialize much closer to reality than other high resolution algorithms. WF-WRF is currently run out up to 40 hours, 4 times daily. This is a great model to use to identify where localized sea breezes will develop.

So while I would like to have back the DYNAMIC GRAPH discussed in #1 above what I would really like to know is, what in the world happened to the WRAMS model? Is it the same as the WF-WRF model? Because it is no longer of any value as a wind predictor. It SORT OF predicts the gusts. Doesn't come close to predicting the average. Hasn't for over a month.

CHRIS
windfind

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris: USED TO BE that when you clicked on the DYNAMIC MAP on www.iwindsurf.com it allowed members to chose which models they wanted overlayed over the machine wind obs. So as you watched the wind come up on the sensors you could see whether it was matching,

Mike: This feature is still available on the Dynamic Map IW. as you can see below.

Chris: As well when you moused over the regional wind map and put your cursor over a specific site that same grey line showed up, apparently the same WRAMS model data. That still shows on my computer although it did go missing for a while on Friday or Saturday,

Mike: The gray line is currently missing as discussed in the preceding posts. IT is working on this issue tonight. That gray line is now the "Quicklook" low resolution model output and is of very limited accuracy.

Chris: I have a completely different beef, which is that the WRAMS model, at least for Southern California, has become completely useless. For weeks now it has been forecasting 20 plus mph days for Cabrillo and Seal. In actual fact the wind has been GUSTING to the WRAMS model output for average, sort of.

Mike: I am curious where you are seeing the WRAMS model output. Are you sure you are not seeing the WRF? Please send link to the WRAMS forecast you are seeing.

Chris: I would really like to know is, what in the world happened to the WRAMS model? Is it the same as the WF-WRF model?

Mike: I loved the WRAMS model. It handled the complex topography of the Bay Area and to a lesser extent the topography of Southern California better than any other model. Plus it was scalable so a small company like ours could run it over a tiny part of the world with our own servers. Unfortunately the WRAMS was not very accurate for any of the other regions of the USA we serve. But the real issue is that this model became obsolete and was no longer being supported or updated by the academic or govt. modeling community. So we finally had to abandon the WRAMS since we could not possibly maintain a modeling system by ourselves especially for just 2 regions of the USA.

The best replacement available was the WRF which has very active support in the modeling community and can be run in the cloud rather than our having to maintain more banks of servers. In addition the WRF can be tweaked to allow better handle topography, plant coverage using our own sensor network, etc. etc. We have a modeling team at our Denver office that is constantly working of improving the WRF to meet the specialized needs of our customers.

Is the Weatherflow version of the WRF as good as the old Weatherflow RAMS? Not yet but it is improving fast and it if you look at the map version of the WF-WRF model forecast for Southern California and compare it with the other models we also offer (WF-WRF with the GFS, NAM12, NAM3, CMC, HRRR, WW3) you can quickly see that our WF-WRF model is far superior to any other model covering Southern California.

All models.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  124.8 KB
 Viewed:  12821 Time(s)

All models.jpg

wmike

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that the prediction line also disappeared on the Maui sites recently. And since there is no Iwindsurf human predictions on Maui lots of people look at it. It is close to actual usually. We have to choose which side of the island id most likely to have wind.

Thanks for your attention on this issue.

Last edited by wmike on Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
WNDZRFR

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Just so we're clear here, that grey line ALSO used to show up on the actual site when clicked on.

It was like this up until maybe a month ago. I told David and he told me to just mouse over and see the little site window with the grey line.

I really liked it on the actual full page site. You could see if the wind was following the grey line early in the day in great detail and if it was the wind would usually continue to follow it which helped big time in planning ones day around catching the wind.

Let's get the grey line back in both places!

Thanks again
ctuna

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of the features of the old dynamic graph have been droped like
the NWS report bars an the ability to scroll over a point on the wind graph
and get all the text data for that point. The NWS data appears on the new site
but the ability to scroll over a point and get the text data has not been reinstated anywhere.(That's the one I miss the most)
Also I see no way to display a list of your favorite sites in order of windest to least windy.
chophop

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am wondering why the 'Coast' forecast has disappeared from the text portion of the Day Briefing. Question
WNDZRFR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctuna I noticed those features were dropped also very disheartening in the least. Why remove a feature that is already in the system and working?

On the plus side the computer forecast line is back on the mouse over and on the site on my phone (wap) but not back on the actual site on my computer but I'm still holding out hope!

Keep up the good work Mike.
ctuna

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am seeing the gray line today on the classic site
But I what I miss is the text data on each data point on the graph.
and the dropping of the NWS bars on the classic site.

grayline.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1010.49 KB
 Viewed:  12725 Time(s)

grayline.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: