myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Back at it.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coachg

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are only talking about three people, me, myself & I. I am talking about the general population, thus the term double edged sword.

Coachg
Darbonne

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this is my retirement home. When I moved here 17 years ago I was interested in fishing. So I am sorta stuck here. Not complaining, I love it here. I will learn to sail here. I have a sister who lives in FL. Guess I'll just have to visit her more. I was maybe a little ambitious with that sail Friday. Could have easily been on my Cheetah 8. I have been hooking in after I move back and get going. Joe, the best wind is out in the middle of the lake where it comes out of a slough. Just have to make sure I have the energy to get back.

I'm 93 Kg. Kona one board.
My Quiver
Kona One Design 9.0 with matching Kona mast
Sailworks Retro 9.0 with Sailworks Joystick mast
Ezzy Cheetah 8.0 with Chinook 40% SDM mast
Ezzy Infinity 6.6 with Chinook 40% SDM mast
Ezzy SE 5.8 with Powerex 40% SDM mast
I also have an RRD X-Ride 135 that I was hoping to move up to in windy conditions. Bought it the fall before the flood and have not been on it.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang in there Darbonne Smile
And you're correct... in that earlier post, I did mix you up with another guy from more than a year ago, about his vid (when he was wearing Teva sandals). But the topic was the same (thanks for the correction).

Anyway, after having met you and sailed together at National's in Corpus a year ago... I'd say you're doing fine. Just keep after it, you'll get there.
Re-reading this thread from the start, I agree with those that said, "just go for it".
And... You don't have to be fully lit up ripping. The worst thing that happens, if the wind's too light and you make yourself step back there and stuff your feet in the straps, when you're not going fast enough... is, you slowly round up, lose more speed, and fall back softly into the water. Meaning, there is no catapulting... if you try to get back in those Kona straps, without going fast enough. No catapulting, you'll only round up, slow down, and fall backwards slowly into the water.

And on sail size... a 9M is too much sail for you in 14 to 25 mph wind... too much for most of us!!
Use that sail in 5 to 17 stuff... and you can get in those straps when you're in the puffs around 12-14 (scattered caps).
At your size, in scattered caps (12 ish mph wind) with your Kona and 9M sail you'll be planing, the water will be basically flat, sail on a beam reach. Keep sailing the beam reach and slowly inch your feet back to the straps. Then when you feel them, put one in than the other. Your goal is to keep sailing on that beam reach. And then make sure and put weight in the harness, "sit down on it". This puts most your weight on the mastbase, and not on your feet. Next, no weight on your heels. Lift them off the board, so all your weight is on your toes. You will also lift up in the straps with the tops of your feet. All this will keep the board going in a straight line, beam reach. Next practice getting in and out of them. Rinse and repeat, LOL
Take care Smile

Darbonne

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Greg. I was not at the nationals. You did meet some of my friends at the Kona Worlds though. They are the Texas contingent. Maybe we met in a past life or something. Thanks for the advice and encouragement all the same. Maybe we can chat at the Kona worlds in Clearwater in 2018. I am already working towards that regatta.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha (sorry)...
Sometimes people mistake me for somebody else... and I say, "that's ok, all Norwegians look alike" LOL
I guess to me... every windsurfer working / struggling to get in footstraps, looks the same to me Smile
Anyway, like you said... all the advice you've gotten here, is good stuff!!

isobars

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
You are only talking about three people, me, myself & I. I am talking about the general population, thus the term double edged sword.

As I've justified many times in many ways, I am very much the general population. The only reason I've overcome that to any degree is my sheer TOW. Examples: I do some things I've seen no one else do, and countless people can do things I'll never be able to do. I've also compared my own board test reports to literally thousands of other testers' hand-written test reports, and consistently landed right in the midst of the pack. It took me many years to start hitting full-speed jibes consistently, but when they came they came on like gangbusters and passed those of the majority of WSers I see in the Gorge (who stick to the single, commonly taught, canned, my way or the highway, method). The next decade or two were worth the delay to me.

Are you really saying that in all the sports you teach, players should stay back from the edges of their performance envelope? I respect your profession, but wouldn't that promote mediocrity and stifle quick progression ... especially in an individual sport? Where would that leave Bannister, Woods, countless other ground-breakers, and any aggressive player who just wants to push herself because it's fun?
coachg

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you are not the general population. You are your three favorite people, me, myself & I.

No, I'm not saying that players should stay back from the edges of their performance envelope; I'm saying that the majority of the people do. There is a major reason we have first, second & third strings. For every Woods there are a hundred that hide in the shadows. My job as a coach is to try to coax players out of their comfort zone, to push the envelope. But the reality is that most are not ready or willing to.

By your logic all rookie quarterbacks should be thrown into the starting roll without any coaching: kind of a trial by fire thing. Again, I'm not saying that trial by fire won't work; I'm just saying that there is a great chance that the rookie will be overwhelmed, lose confidence & develop bad habits & never develop into the QB they could have been with patient coaching. You have to closely watch the rookie & test him in practice before throwing him into the fire. By observation you will see that some are ready but most are not.

So, what I'm saying is that your advice for him to jump into the fire is just as likely to fail as it is to succeed. Thus the term double edged sword.

Coachg
gregnw44

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really good coach... well written... totally agree.

And I didn't go back and read all the various advice given... but in this case, we're talking about "just getting into the footstrap" on a easy sailing Kona, on a flat water lake, in moderate wind.
There's no huge risk there.
At least not the same risk as throwing your million $ rookie QB out on the field with experienced 350 lb defensive players who want to crush him in to the turf, and end his career before it even starts, LOL

So for people like Darbonne trying to get in the straps on that board in those conditions... I'd say, think about it... have a sensible plan.. be patient and get reasonably correct conditions... but at some point, "just do it". Like I said before, the worst that happens is, you fall backward into the water. No biggie. All of us have to fall in from time to time, when learning new things, or pushing the envelope, or gaining new realistic experiences.

isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregnw44 wrote:
but at some point, "just do it". Like I said before, the worst that happens is, you fall backward into the water. No biggie. All of us have to fall in from time to time, when learning new things, or pushing the envelope, or gaining new realistic experiences.

That's all I'm saying.

I felt like a deer in the headlights at the Indy 500 when our quarterback told me -- a halfback -- to take the next snap. I thought he meant call the play, take the snap, read the defense, and execute an option play. Thank goodness he just meant grab the damned snap and run. Now THAT was right up my alley.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: