myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Weird Freedom Maui "mini" battens?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
briancleduc

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Weird Freedom Maui "mini" battens? Reply with quote

Got a pile of kit for free and these came with them..any idea what/how to use them? wont seem to upload images...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5QGsk-tgnyddWVCMUdJZzFHb0tZS181TGU5MUhxNDJHc0Nv/view?usp=sharing

Thanks for any help!
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like part of a camber inducer.

I wouldn't worry about them, unless you also picked up a sail that looks like it needs one.
briancleduc

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha, thanks... Have 3 freedom maui sails with it, 4.8 radical wing, 4.75 radial speed wing, and 6.1 radical camber. have to check if there appears to be a sleeve on any of them...
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Freedom Maui parts in the picture appear to be part of the split batten design. It's been far too long to recall exactly how to connect them, but the idea was to achieve a wide, aerodynamic luff and some of the draft rigidity of cams without the massive rigging and rotation problems of most designs of the time.

In summary, the end of three battens actually divided into two battens toward the luff. The luff end of each spit batten inserted into a pocket on the pads shown in the picture. The pads did not encircle the mast but pushed against it created through batten tension. Thus the warnings printed thereon.

My memory suggests that the pads were placed onto the battens by reaching into the luff through the boom opening and entering through the tack. Those sails were very, very good -fast as hell, but also a tad fragile when sailors didn't follow the warnings about releasing batten tension first!

briancleduc

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AHA! that makes a lot of sense...and if the pressure is not release in the correct order, BANG! huh, I'll have to play with these when the water gets a little warmer in VT. Keepo it coming if anyone has specific rigging direciton on these, thanks again!
briancleduc

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the 6.1 has a full set of these already in the sail, so these are extras...still can't quite figure out how to rig up the battens if anyone has any further input it would be much appreciated! Thanks!
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

briancleduc wrote:
So the 6.1 has a full set of these already in the sail, so these are extras...still can't quite figure out how to rig up the battens if anyone has any further input it would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Brian, are you able to describe what information you seek? If you want to know how to install battens, it's pretty basic. Thin end of batten enters batten pocket from leach or trailing edge of the sail. Push the batten toward the sail luff.

With split battens, my recollection is that you reach into the wide luff and guide each end into the "holder." Again, I recall that I needed a helper who pushed on the batten while I guided each split end into the holder.

Once seated, apply downhaul and then outhaul until the sail looks decent. The Freedom Maui sails were not terribly loose-leeched; they appeared on the market about a year before the huge loose leech breakthrough by Bruce Peterson who discovered how to prevent sail stall yet preserve depth and stability. Add batten tension with the buckles and straps on the leech. Don't use much; only enough to eliminate vertical wrinkles in the batten pockets. You can always add more.

briancleduc

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again. I was a little confused on the amount of pressure to tighethen the standard batton end with, and also it was mentioned the mast does not go through the split batten, but against the outer edge. I'm having a really hard time getting the mast up past these, there is very little space.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely detension the battens with the straps when you slide in the mast. That may help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: