myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Best deal on a 7.5m sail?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rtz

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Best deal on a 7.5m sail? Reply with quote

I still don't know of all the places that sell windsurfing gear. Anyone seen any really great deals on a 7.5? Possibly even a 8.0.
mamero

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my 7.5 Sailworks Retro. They often have sales on previous year models. This might be the way to go if they have New Old Stock in the size you want.
mamero

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.sailworks.com/the-gear/closeouts/closeout-retro-sails/2016-retro-7-5-sail.html
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 7.0 Sailworks Retro matched with their 100% carbon 460cm SDM Lightstick. It's top flight rig that handles incredibly well, and it waterstarts with unbelievable ease. It's unquestionably the best 7.0 that I've ever owned.

As mamero has pointed out, Sailworks has both 2016 7.5 and 8.0 Retro models available right now at discounted pricing (about $150 off). However, to really get the most out their sails, I highly recommend buying either their 75% Joystick or 100% carbon Lightstick SDM mast. While the Lightstick is an expensive premium mast, the Joystick would still give you outstanding performance and a bit more durability at a far more reasonable price.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7.5 retro rigs on a 460 which is a nice mid sized mast to have around. Most sails bigger start to need 490s and up.
rtz

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the 7.5 Retro be okay on a 40, 60, or 80% Chinook?
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, you really need the right mast. I can't emphasis this enough. It would be a mistake to compromise in an attempt to save some money on less than optimum products.

Chinook hasn't been known to offer the highest quality masts. That said, that's not to question the quality and performance of their booms, mast extensions, and universals, as they are unquestionably one of the leaders in the industry for these aftermarket products.
mamero

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 460 Joystick 75%. It works very well with the Retro.

Last summer through Craiglist I bought a pair of near new 2015 Sailworks 6.5 and 7.5 Retros. They came with the 460 Joystick 75%. They both rig on the one mast (not at the same time of course Laughing). I paid $1000 CAD which is the most I've ever paid for sails. They were expensive to me but a good deal when compared to new! They also came with a Chinook alloy boom which I swapped out for my own Chinook carbon boom. This combo is awesome. I don't think I've actually sailed the 6.5 rig yet. The 7.5 gets rigged 95% of the time.

This is the first time I've owned a matching sail and mast. The difference is certainly noticeable and worth it. Rotation is quick and smooth. The sail maintains a nice shape with very little wrinkles when powered up or in a lull. The predecessor to my 2015 7.5 was a 2007 7.0 Retro which I sailed in to the ground. I rigged it on a Powerex mast. It was the right mast but still (partially because of the age the sail) the battens would not rotate consistently.

Short version. The difference between 75% and 100% carbon may be negligible however, the difference between a correct 75% mast and an incorrect 100% carbon mast can be huge. Better to have the correct entry level mast than an incorrect top level mast. Even better is to have the top end AND correct mast Cool .
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use this link to search all of Craigs list for windsurfing gear, http://www.dailylister.com/
Speak of the devil check this out in Austin Texas, https://corpuschristi.craigslist.org/spo/6083849978.html
In general for used sails I would recommend an Ezzy or Superfreak for their durability and ability to rig on most masts.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for all around versatility, from waves to flat water: phantom 7.5

flat water blasting free speed 7.2

see aerotech link below

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: