myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Best deal on a 7.5m sail?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rtz

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for fun and since I'm just getting started; I looked around and got a 7.5m MauiSails Scream for $400, free shipping and grabbed a 460 40% Chinook direct for $200. I'm also going to run that stiffer 460 on the 6.5 Legacy since it can rig with both a 430 and 460. Also the IMCS number matches up with the 40%.

This weather is really messing with the wind lately so it's been lighter then it normally would be.

https://www.mauisails.com/shop

If you need some cheap sails or some sizes you don't have; check that out.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maui sails take a hard top mast. I hope you checked with them about the chinook mast it might work okay might not. There is more to bend curve than the IMCS number. Chinook is not a hard top mast. Good luck. Mixing lots of different brands is not a good idea.
rtz

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This chart I looked at said constant curve:

http://www.unifiber.net/2015/mast-selector
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like Maui Sails has changed the bend curve in their new mast somewhat Older masts were hard top. Says they are now constant curve so you should be fine!
kevinkan

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maui Sails changed to a more constant curve bend for some sails starting in 2014, however some of the sails have been unchanged since 2012 or 2013, so those ones would still be hard top even in a 2015 or 2016 model. The change was most noticeable in the race sails. confusing... yes.
https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most sails with the right mast and correct tuning are magic. Some sails work ok with out the proper mast but no real magic. A few sails only work like magic with the mast they were built for. Most here tried to steer you to one sail brand and advised you to invest in the proper mast for that brand. Didn't need to be new but a matched set. Most times in life you get what you pay for. 200 bucks for a mast is most likely going to work like a 200 buck mast. I truly hope this combo works out for you and you get to enjoy the ride for a long time to come.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN, I'm glad that you said it. Some folks are attracted to basement prices, and they revel a bit in saving some money. But as you said, you usually get what you pay for.

Maui Sails certainly aren't price point sails, but for just a bit more money, one could have matched the Switch with a recommended higher carbon content Maui Sails mast.
westender

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until people reach a level of proficiency I'm not convinced the boards and rigs are that big of an issue.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rtz, I would not worry too much about the perfect mast quite yet. The Chinook mast is not too far off, even if the 7.5 Scream does require a hard top mast. Whether it does or not is a bit of a question, considering that they have been changing their bend curves in recent years, without being very transparent about it.

For example, one of our local slalom guys has only Maui Sails, and rigs many of them on older Fiberspar masts. That should be a big no-no, since Fiberspar masts tend to be soft top - the exact opposite of what's needed. But his sails look good and work well for him. On the other hand, I bought a Maui Sails mast specifically for a Maui Sails TR-7 before they switched curves. That sail never looks right, regardless how I trim it. A former MS team sailor explained that this specific sail actually works much better with a soft top mast than with a Maui Sails mast. But even though the mast I use clearly has the wrong bend curve, the sail still works quite well.

The one thing to keep in mind, though, is that you may need to rig with downhaul and outhaul settings that can deviate quite a bit from what's printed on the sail. That can always be the case, but is most likely if you use a mast with a bend curve that differs from the bend curve the sail was designed for. You may need 2-4 cm more or less outhaul and/or downhaul.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWChandler, should you not disclose the reason you pimp Sailworks is because you are a dealer or a team rider or some such thing?
Jingbritsin has his benefactors disclosed at the bottom of each post...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: