myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Options on a car for board transport
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
us44eric

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you owned and recognized the utility of a Chrysler Town and Country and also mentioned better gas mileage, I thought I'd bring up the new Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid. Chrysler/Dodge minivans of late are very handy with the flat-to-the-floor stow and go seating. And the new Pacifica arguably improves on the old minivan look and feel. And the Pacifica Hybrid, this is my dream windsurf vehicle right now, for the utility of a minivan, but with real efficiency advantages. I think this gets up to 80 mpgE, and heard some initial reports that it can go around 30 miles on a charge without using gas. Maybe a perfect Bay Area windsurfing vehicle if one lives relatively near one's sailing site. Alas, not in my budget at the moment, but optimistic about the potential and curious to hear from owners.

Good luck with your search.

Cheers,
Eric
motogon

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:

I may opt for one anyway, but option is something smaller, that gets better MPG overall.

Just one board (or anything else) on roof rack will instantly ruin MPG of small car.

rigitrite

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just one board (or anything else) on roof rack will instantly ruin MPG of small car.

Completely untrue. I had one 120 l. board on the roof rack of my VW GTI, and I got 33-35 mpg for the entire trip to Hatteras and back. I was surprised at how good mpg I got. I agree with U2U2U2's estimate of about 2 mpg decrease for having a board on top of the car.

rollerrider

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honda gets best gas mileage and can last a long time. MPG estimates on most cars are over rated. Hondas are spot on. I consistently get 27 mpg average on trips to OBX and do even better with no passengers. I have removed passenger seats saving some weight. With rear seat unbolted and removed the well that it usually folds into holds a lot of stuff. Never a need to put anything on the roof. Lots of room for all my windsurfing stuff and paddle board.
pmlct

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would volunteer a Subaru Wagon as a reliable option. The only hitch is that the AWD is going to drop your gas mileage down to not much better than the minivan. I had an older Outback wagon and still have a 98 Plymouth Grand Voyager that is my present road trip/windsurf vehicle.

Since you don't want the board all the way up to your dashboard you have to consider the length of the cargo area as a factor. Subaru also does give you a solid roof rack which I don't think is true for other makes.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because fuel economy seems to be a motivating factor, what is your target MPG for a more fuel efficient vehicle?
https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
Arrgh

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the Toyota Prius V. It's bigger inside than it looks on the outside and it has a fold-flat front passenger seat.
Scharlack

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Subaru Impreza Reply with quote

MY Subaru Impreza holds INSIDE 2 boards (120 L. Angulo CV1 and Chango 93) 2 masts, 2 booms, 3 sails, and I can still see out the back window. It's a much bigger car inside than it looks outside. And it's fun to drive. I put a roof rack on it if I need passenger space. The front passenger seat goes down relatively flat.
ctuna

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like small wagons that are somewhat sporty . But most of them
have a sails masts gear box, wetsuit box and one board limitation. You could get a second board in but you would have to go blind on one side and figure out a way to secure it so it wouldn't slide forward on hard braking. I was looking
at the VW sportswagen before diesel gate. I currently use and old
Integra with the front passenger seat removed .
A Van seems like the ease of use choice but I hate driving vans.
A wagon is lower when you have to rack boards can't see straping boaards
down in blow on a high roof hard enough on a low one.
windward1

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2

I think you are going to miss your minivan with no matter what you replace it with.

Also consider the initial price versus the minivan of the make you had. Could probably buy a lot of gas with the difference.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: