myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Options on a car for board transport
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marc5 wrote:

We then started looking at SUVs. The Ford Expedition EL can handle all my sailing gear in back without encroaching into the driver's area (8' cargo area, all flat). It also has great rooftop rails if you need to add a rack. Many vehicles have lousy rails today. It can tow 9200 lbs, gets 18mpg mixed, and of course has 4WD. It also handles as well as the Sienna--and is more quiet. Granted, it's not for everyone--it's big. But if you get a stripper or a used one, you get a lot of truck for your money. And we didn't need to buy a pickup.

The Suburban gets slightly better MPG: 19 (vs 18 for Ford) and it does have a nice ride and has about equal cargo room behind the front seats. Another you might look at in the same league is the Dodge Durango.
I did consider the Chevy Avalanche (they stopped making them a few years ago). It is a 4-door 4WD pickup with a unique mid-gate that opens up to the passenger compartment. The rear seats also fold down to make more than 8 feet of cargo room. It's based on the Suburban so it rides good and gets same MPGs.
I really needed decent MPG more than 4WD or towing, so I got the Caravan (which carries more than either, plus a lot less sticker price).
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2points
1. My dodge 2500 3/4 ton Cummings diesel gets in town 21mpg
Highway is only slightly improved, but then I'm towing a horse trailer.
It would want a cap over the 8 foot bed to enclose like. suburban or Explorer.
It's a Pita to park, and in town rather balky . It will pull a house off the foundation. When vechiles get this big expect , all manner of problems, with drivetrain, suspension, and steering . Ball joints, etc etc.

2. My first 2003 Chrysler Town n Country had the tranny rebuilt , around 110k
It was fine till totaled around 190k. My 2nd 2006 , I paid at 152k to rebuild it. Local done. It was fine but would not engage 6th overdrive. COST WAS $1488,performed great till a deer wanted to polka at 192k.

Observation : my Honda Civic CRX, SI, BOUGHT new in 1987, went 320k then blew the head gasket. 5speed Manuel , original clutch. Replaced the radiator once, alternator twice. Shocks, normal brakes. Wonderful car, jewel like Mercedes quality.
A comparable Honda Odyssey would be thousands more than my 2014 T n C
Each his own and everyone has their own wants and needs.
The electrics on the Chrysler are more friendly than my Minii Cooper S/ BMW designed Clubman.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
carl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
2points

Observation : my Honda Civic CRX, SI, BOUGHT new in 1987, went 320k then blew the head gasket. 5speed Manuel , original clutch. Replaced the radiator once, alternator twice. Shocks, normal brakes. Wonderful car, jewel like Mercedes quality.
A comparable Honda Odyssey would be thousands more than my 2014 T n C
Each his own and everyone has their own wants and needs.
The electrics on the Chrysler are more friendly than my Minii Cooper S/ BMW designed Clubman.

My Odyssey was a year 2000, maybe the new ones are better, but the older Honda v6 tranny is known to have problems. Of course Consumer Reports doesn't report that because most of the failures happen after 100K miles.
marc5

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple more attributes of the Ford Expedition that only a windsurfer would appreciate:

1. Combination entry lock (no key needed)--Never again hide your key in the bushes or under the vehicle! I believe this is a feature only available from Ford. Maybe they have a patent.

2. No whip antenna or shark fin on rooftop to interfere with boards.--There is only a small button mounted on the roof just above the windshield.

I am not affiliated with Ford. Just enjoying some features on my vehicle.

Marc
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2014 Chrysler Town n Country update.
5500 mile trip , with gear, not fully loaded. Average highway 27.6 MPG.

As high as 28.3. Difference noticeable on speed , 72 mph very good,
78 drops.

This has a fuel saver mode, which in my opinion does little but change the shift point . Only critique on the van is the engine is more sensitive when I using the cruise control, it downshifts sooner. I think the best mpg is obtained on any hill or slight hill areas is to not the cruise.
E85 friendly. Plenty of power for the chassis. Very comfortable .

DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2005 Odyssey purchased used in 2007 at just under 20,000 miles now has a little over 187,000 miles without ever having transmission or any other major problems, still mechanically sound in all ways. The 2nd row seats are usually sitting on the garage floor so I can carry a long board (350 cm Kona OD or 380 cm old Fanatic MegaCat).

When my wife is in the passenger seat I turn the Kona OD (minus the fin) on its side with the stern forward to give her enough room. When I'm alone I lower the passenger seat & have the Kona OD or MegaCat turned upside down with the nose forward with the fin on. At windsurf events I often sleep on the right side in the back while the board is still in place. If my wife is camping with me we can leave the Coleman refrigerator cooler in place on the left and a food box on the right and have room for sleeping behind them after the windsurfing gear goes outside on a tarp with suitcases placed on the front seats.

My prior min-van was a used 91 Plymouth Voyager I happily drove from about 65,000 miles to about 127,000 miles. When the Odyssey dies I'll look first at another Odyssey.
skyking1231

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the little "green" leaf on the town and country is there so you can feel better about yourself. It does change the shift points as you said. Some have tested this in their own way. And some say 1/2 mpg increase. Or something like that.

Mine is always on....(i like to feel good about myself Smile ). But taking it on striclty highway at 65mph avg...i hit 30mpg. E85 is a joke....what yoau save in $$$$....you loose in mpg. So its a wash.

Hopefully you have better luck with the brakes. Town and country chews through front brakes. I think they are undersized for the car.

Anyway
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2004 n 2006 T& C s, had normal wear on brakes, IMO. Both were rather anemic with brake performance , the new wonder car is much improved.

Green leaf, Eco mode , must be a gimmick .

Have you tried E85 mixed with gas, like 50/50?

30mpg is seriously realistic at 65 mph , too bad for me the only time I drive 65 is when the speed limit is 55.

Wide open spaces out west to Chicago or St Louis.

When you find a better value and now performance one let me know

Brian_S

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skyking1231 wrote:
E85 is a joke....what yoau save in $$$$....you loose in mpg. So its a wash.

E85 has somewhere between 73-83% of the energy content of straight gasoline (although most gasoline is really about E10). So, you can expect a fuel economy penalty on the order of 20% in most newer cars that are designed to run on E85.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: