myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Do wide, stubby wave/FSW boards turn off the back foot?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Do wide, stubby wave/FSW boards turn off the back foot? Reply with quote

By that I mean, can one slash them 45, 90, or more degrees, at full speed, with nothing more than heel'n'toe pressure with the back foot in its strap? Or do they just look at you blankly and plow straight ahead unless you get your weight forward, engage the forward rail, and add sail input as many of today's boards demand in tight turns? Or does the answer still vary completely among brands and models?

I ask because as I get older and more burdened by my chemotherapy, I want to add a larger and earlier-planing board to my heap with the same goal of full-speed, full-power, slashy maneuvering across and down wind. These stubby thingies, in wave and especially FSW versions, seem well suited to that. I'm particularly interested in 100-105L single- or tri-fin boards.

Or are such boards, with their very short lengths, not well suited to sailing straight downwind, in heavy swell and/or chop, heavily-powered? Does that all but demand the longer, narrower, more traditional shapes?
capetonian

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fanatic Stubby 99 L snaps around off the back foot. But it's a wave board, not a FSW, and I have not tried the FSW version so I can't 100% answer your question.
coachg

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are in the Gorge. Go to one of the shops & demo one.

Coachg
isobars

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easier said than done. I could drive >400 miles (to and from Hood River plus to and from a windy launch) and still get skunked. Even when I lived there in a van with nothing else to do it was seldom worth the hassle and uncertainty of bringing together a demo board and some appropriate wind. I tried for an entire summer to demo one particular board the shop stocked and never could get my hands on it.

That's why I began buying boards by the SUVload (OK, one trip was a small truckload); it's far easier, the choices are almost infinitely greater, and given a week or three it's easy to find wind. I'm hoping this thread will answer the broader question and maybe even point me towards some specific examples.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your questions are generalized. Within the 100literFSW group of current boards( be advised your past history eliminated them as new and costly)
So newer boards then, each brand has its own priority , early planing, turns, fast turns..etc

Much to be said for the move oriented tri fins, Fanatic for one.
As a single the Tabou 3S .
Lots of Starboard options.

Sorry to read about your cancer therapy. Wish you all the best.

FWIW , I BOUGHT a well used factory prototype 3S, tri fin, 96 liter 2011 board, repaired it. I really like the way it performs in tri fin mode, far more move oriented than my NAISH 100 Starship, close to opposite ends on the FSW platform.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The very newest craze

http://forums.boards.co.uk/showthread.php/77229-Quattro-Mini-Thruster-the-Ferrari-of-windsurf-boards

PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Do wide, stubby wave/FSW boards turn off the back foot? Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
By that I mean, can one slash them 45, 90, or more degrees, at full speed, with nothing more than heel'n'toe pressure with the back foot in its strap? Or do they just look at you blankly and plow straight ahead unless you get your weight forward, engage the forward rail, and add sail input as many of today's boards demand in tight turns? Or does the answer still vary completely among brands and models?

It's board to board...must try...but the JP and Fanatic that I own, and the RRD I've rented do. There's probably some rig work involved, but in terms of will they slash tightly, many do.

isobars wrote:
are such boards, with their very short lengths, not well suited to sailing straight downwind, in heavy swell and/or chop, heavily-powered?

IMHO they require a little more sailor input, and I'm talking about a deep broad reach, but yeah that's how I get off the water.

manuel

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iso? Surprised me a little to find such a question from you?
FW boards vary greatly. I reviewed a few (see my blog).

For my light weight, in brief, the most turny was the JP FSW.
The most skatey was the Fanatic Stubby FW (probably would fit your requirement), very back foot, very sharp turns.

The JP can be front foot turned while the Stubby provided little advantage.

dmilovich

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iso - While sailing my 105 Fanatic Freewave STB this morning with powered 5.3, (and note: single 30 cm Makani weed fin) in SPI thought of your question. I made some full speed 15-20 degree slashes back and forth in the troughs of the chop and noted they were all off the back foot. With the thruster setup it is a bunch more loose, so maybe right up your up your alley. But it might be more skatey than carvey (if that's a word), so depends on what you're after. All the same, it's a lot looser than my beloved 105 Angulo Sumo, which is a gold standard for me. (using 3 footstraps in both cases, BTW)

For reference, the 105 STB has worked up to 6.5 easily, but that's probably not necessary for your sailing. There was a guy here two weeks ago, weighed probably 185 lbs (I'm 175) who was routinely sailing at 5.8 on a 95 liter FW STB and went down to a 4.7 super comfortably. He commented that he perhaps should have bought an 85 liter. I've sailed the 95 with 4.7 and it's really fun. Could go smaller sail no problem. Or a bunch bigger. Point being that these boards plane early and coast through lulls pretty well, so perhaps you can go smaller than 105 and get even more slashability (that's a word, I'm sure of it), along with early planing for ease of use. Best if you can borrow or demo one, of course.

Good luck with your health, dude! I've been reading you for 20 years and really appreciate your insights and contributions .
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Words like, skatey loose, slashy are all interpretive.

Using a tri fin as an example , cause it's the best to and easiest, but changing the fins size it's possible to vary the handling quite a lot,
For instance a large center with very small sides will come closest to the feel of a single, using 3fins of similar size will come close to the feel of a twin, skateboard loose. Variance in between are personal preference, few take the money and time to compare, being content to ride what came out of the box.

It's no revelation that a single fin Sumo has quite different character than a Freewave STB.

A multi fin , in a more compact form, not necessarily the newest version of Stubby , I feel would be a better option for Isobars, but then what do I know

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: