myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tragedy Averted!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldsurfer

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Tragedy Averted! Reply with quote

I just want to personally thank the best group of sailors in the world today as they sacrificed their well being and sail time to rescue me off the waters as I got separated from my rig today in the strong currents. God sent JP to save me from my misfortune and most likely my wife from much grief as she could very well have been a widow today. Ten thousand thanks JP, you're the man! After he made certain that my feet were on solid ground, I knew the high winds and fast current would make it impossible to find the board, I had no hopes of ever seeing it again! Fortunately a gentleman by I believe the name "Dave", towed my rig into Swell City and because I had my name and phone number on my sail, a lovely lady called me to say they had my rig on shore....absolutely amazing! A catastrophic day was averted by the kindness of high quality gorge sailers! Happy Sailing All, and by the way, the wind is supposed to blow tomorrow, I'll see you all there! Your grateful friend, Steve Thompson (local Gorge sailor for 30 years)
Temira

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you're okay, Steve!!!
ivog

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was another close call at Dougs today. I guy went missing, sheriff was called, close to two hours passed and then as I was leaving the sailor appeared. Don't know the details, but am glad that you and that other person are OK.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! glad everybody is safe. will be up there in a week... will try to exercise some caution!
https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caution is always smart, but when that fails, just swim north or south 'til ya hit land. River current will influence your landing spot but doesn't inherently extend the swim time.
windward1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any more details on the above two incidents so that we can have the learning experience of what not to do?
westender

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't let go of your gear. You might not be able to catch it and would need to swim to shore if you can't get help.
Sail with a buddy that's always watching out for you.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't panic. Civilized, developed shorelines are just a short swim away in either direction in the Hood River corridor. One guy was screaming for help from right under sunbathers' feet at the Hatchery a few years back, when just three strokes would have carried him to the launch site shoreline.

Know how to rescue yourself BEFORE launching. We've discussed probably a dozen ways, from carrying cash to buy a ride back across the bridge to de-rigging and paddling back surfer style to walking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: