myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services
 
Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Starboard F-type 158 2006
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
d0uglass



Joined: 28 May 2004
Posts: 1193
Location: Bonita Springs, Florida

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the actual formula 158 and have ridden the free formula (aka f-type) 158. They are very similar in outline, rocker and volume, with the only difference that I could tell being the slightly softer and more curled rails and more inboard footstrap options on the free formula / f-type. With a 70 cm fin you can use just as a big a sail on it as you would on a regular formula board (up to 12.5), but at 140 lbs I don't think you will need bigger than a 9.0-9.8 sail and 66 cm fin to get the full benefits of the earliest planing possible.

Basically the f-type will plane and ride like a formula board, but will be a little easier to jibe and more comfortable to sail on a reach.

_________________
James' Blog: Windsurfing Equipment Size Calculator
http://jimbodouglass.blogspot.com/2010/11/updated-windsurf-calculator-online.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
atlas.wave55



Joined: 24 Aug 2016
Posts: 51

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d0uglass wrote:
I had the actual formula 158 and have ridden the free formula (aka f-type) 158. They are very similar in outline, rocker and volume, with the only difference that I could tell being the slightly softer and more curled rails and more inboard footstrap options on the free formula / f-type. With a 70 cm fin you can use just as a big a sail on it as you would on a regular formula board (up to 12.5), but at 140 lbs I don't think you will need bigger than a 9.0-9.8 sail and 66 cm fin to get the full benefits of the earliest planing possible.

Basically the f-type will plane and ride like a formula board, but will be a little easier to jibe and more comfortable to sail on a reach.


Good to know.

Out of curiosity who do you think would win in a race with 20km wind conditions. Me (140lbs) was on a Formula pro kids 117 with a 7.5m sail.
Someone who was at around 200lbs was on a regular sized formula say 160 with a 9m sail.
Who would win?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
U2U2U2



Joined: 06 Jul 2001
Posts: 4634
Location: Shipsterns Bluff, Tasmania. Colorado

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol

The sailor with DaKine uni red harness lines, and No boardshorts over his wetsuit

_________________
K4 fins
4Boards....May the fours be with you

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
joethewindsufa



Joined: 10 Oct 2010
Posts: 988
Location: Montréal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

let me get this straight atlas.wave55:
.
you are sailing on Balsam Lake, Ontario
with winds 5 to 12 knots
young fellow of about 140 pounds
you would like to go as fast as possible under those conditions ??
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
d0uglass



Joined: 28 May 2004
Posts: 1193
Location: Bonita Springs, Florida

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atlas.wave55 wrote:

Out of curiosity who do you think would win in a race with 20km wind conditions. Me (140lbs) was on a Formula pro kids 117 with a 7.5m sail.
Someone who was at around 200lbs was on a regular sized formula say 160 with a 9m sail.
Who would win?


You would win, because a 7.5 sail to a 140 lb person is bigger than a 9.0 sail to a 200 lb person. The 200 lb person would need a 10.7 sail to match the power that you would have with your 7.5 sail... they probably wouldn't even be able to plane in 20 km wind with just a 9.0.

However, assuming that you were each using your proportionally sized sails, the heavier rider might win. I don't know the exact physics of it, but I think that big and tall sailors tend to be faster, once they have enough power to get going.

_________________
James' Blog: Windsurfing Equipment Size Calculator
http://jimbodouglass.blogspot.com/2010/11/updated-windsurf-calculator-online.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
atlas.wave55



Joined: 24 Aug 2016
Posts: 51

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joethewindsufa wrote:
let me get this straight atlas.wave55:
.
you are sailing on Balsam Lake, Ontario
with winds 5 to 12 knots
young fellow of about 140 pounds
you would like to go as fast as possible under those conditions ??


Yes, that is correct.

I am picking up a used formula 136 2002 this week Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
U2U2U2



Joined: 06 Jul 2001
Posts: 4634
Location: Shipsterns Bluff, Tasmania. Colorado

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Create your own mini foil
Best of luck

The grin on the face of the Opie Taylor clone is me, streaking past..

_________________
K4 fins
4Boards....May the fours be with you

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum

myiW | Weather | Community | Membership | Support | Log in
like us on facebook
© Copyright 1999-2007 WeatherFlow, Inc Contact Us Ad Marketplace

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group