myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
El Capitan free solo
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windoggi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: El Capitan free solo Reply with quote

Since we all play with the energy of our planet, it seems logical to share this with all my online friends. And Im sure many of us have rock climbed before.

I can't overstate how monumental this is. Just unbelievable. Nothing comes close.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/features/athletes/alex-honnold/most-dangerous-free-solo-climb-yosemite-national-park-el-capitan/

swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy must be incredibly rock strong and totally fearless. No doubt, a monumental feat, and he did it in less than four hours. A phenomenal achievement. Looking at the guy, you could hardly guess his power and strength from his general appearance.
rigitrite

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this yesterday as well: it's unbelieveable. Alex is the guy (1st person ever) to free solo half dome as well a couple years ago. He free soloed it, then he went back and did it again for a photographer.....just for kicks. He's super human. If you've stood at the bottom of El Cap and looked at that thing, you wonder how anyone can even climb it with ropes and anchors.
scottwerden

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked at Alex's hands? His fingers are like big sausages. I have seen pic of Honnold doing pull-ups with one finger of each hand. But really what separates him from the rest is he has steel cajones.

Now that he has accomplished what he has done, I hope he quits soloing. At some point something out of his control will go wrong and he will fall. It happened to John Baccar. It is just a matter of time.
windoggi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What really makes my blood run cold is not the power and endurance involved with the crack climbing, but the delicate (and powerful) face moves needed to get from one crack system to another.
windoggi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you get 40 feet off the deck, any slip is going to be a life changing event anyway. Anything after that just gives you more time to think about the ultimate outcome. Actually, an awkward fall on to the talus at ten feet will do the trick...its astounding how much energy you can generate in just a short fall.
windward1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truly an amazing feat! And the thought control involved! Most amazing!

I have watched his YouTube free climb of Half Dome over and over. Never gets old.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extremely impressive. But somehow I feel like I am already mourning this guy's death. Agree with Scott Werden's "it's a matter of time" comment. I'm sure there are daring climbers, and old climbers, but probably no old daring climbers.
nw30

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take huge surf any day, but this kind of shit makes my toes curl.
Different person, different place, same effect.

38F4519900000578-0-Ken_Etzel_also_caught_rock_climber_Wiz_Fineron_finding_himself_i-a-199_1475249313920.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  317.69 KB
 Viewed:  13899 Time(s)

38F4519900000578-0-Ken_Etzel_also_caught_rock_climber_Wiz_Fineron_finding_himself_i-a-199_1475249313920.jpg

rigitrite

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto. I see that and I'm like:
"Nope.....nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: