myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Americas Cup 2017
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrgybe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Americas Cup 2017 Reply with quote

If you haven't been following the Americas Cup, it is well worth a look (on NBC Sports Network, and sometimes on their app.) It's on the Great Sound in Bermuda which I have sailed and windsurfed many times and is an excellent venue for this event. They are sailing 15 metre foiling cats which have been reaching 45 knots plus, routinely achieving high speed foiling tacks and jibes, and are incredibly twitchy to sail. Its exciting stuff; the camera coverage is the best I've seen for a regatta. Interestingly, the sailing was cancelled yesterday due to high winds, but as the commentators were filling time, they were showing aerial shots of the Sound, and, lo and behold, a windsurfer! When the others are heading in, we are heading out!
nw30

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pitch pole by the Kiwis the other day was impressive, but us windsurfers can do that also. Late take-off on a wave, stick the nose of the board at the bottom of the drop-in, pearling, come back up and hope your mast is still in one piece. When I first saw it, I was thinking to myself, "I can do that".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivs_KM1PwBo
dmilovich

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun to watch the videos. Hot boats, scary fast.

But as a father of a windsurfing daughter (and with a wsing partner), I gotta ask - why are there no women on any team? (sigh)
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched a bit when it was in San Francisco.
America's Cup is held for winds BELOW 25 knots, so high wind sailing is out.
The little practice boats are fun and nice, but nothing compared to the real thing.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmilovich wrote:
Fun to watch the videos. Hot boats, scary fast.

But as a father of a windsurfing daughter (and with a wsing partner), I gotta ask - why are there no women on any team? (sigh)

There have been in the past but the cats are way more physical with a lot less crew compared to the boats of previous eras. I doubt you'll see any unless mandated.
A great deal of the crew don't actually have any sailing experience, they just provide the muscle. Frequently rugby players and now cyclists.
dmilovich

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@grantmac

Yup, I know that's the present situation. The key word is "mandated". The rules should include a requirement that the crew be 50/50 male female. Why no one, particularly the sponsors, has stepped up to encourage that is beyond me. The boats won't go any slower, the races may just get a lot more audience. And even better, in 10-15 years, there may be more women sailors of all kinds.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, I agree it would be cool to see coed teams in the Americas Cup. Also would show that the giant wealthy corporations that sponsor the boats place some value on gender cooperation and equality.

In the Devil's Isle Challenge this spring (brutal 30 mile sup race around most of Bermuda) the women's world champion sup racer Annabelle Anderson (a Kiwi) took the overall title about 15 minutes ahead of AC skipper Jimmy Spithill and some pro level male sup racers. I think that shows something about how women can kick ass if given the opportunity.

grantmac017

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very few of the crew are actually sailors though. They come from other, more muscle driven sport.

If you mandated 50/50 crews they would need to slow the boats down to reduce the power needed. Generating the hydraulic power needed to run the wing sail and winches is a massive effort.
justall

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Americas Cup 2017 Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
When the others are heading in, we are heading out!

Exactly, mygybe! When the beach umbrellas launch, so do we.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
Very few of the crew are actually sailors though. They come from other, more muscle driven sport.

If you mandated 50/50 crews they would need to slow the boats down to reduce the power needed. Generating the hydraulic power needed to run the wing sail and winches is a massive effort.

What AC team employs mostly non-sailors?

One or two sailors (all grinders of some sort) are not elite racing sailors. ETNZ has a Bronze medal-winning indoor cycling champion as the front cyclor. Everyone else on board has either won one or more Olympic sailing medals or a sailing world championship.

OTUSA sailors are all high level, with multiple medals, championships and AC experiences.

Artemis sailors likewise hold multiple Olympic medals and world championships. One grinder is a canoe sprinter, with four Olympic appearances.

With respect to women being unable to keep sufficient hydrolic pressure, that's likely incorrect. While the cyclor/grinder debate isn't yet answered, that's mostly because of the enormous wattage output able to be produced by men who stand at the grinders. OTUSA claims the wattage output is the same as those on ETNZ who sit on a bike. I doubt it, but it's likely close.

+ Added: My buddy is an elite hand cyclist. Boston Marathon times in a bit less than one hour. I'm a mildly out of shape road cyclist. A decade ago, my riding group could kick out 26 miles in 35-40 minutes. My friend hand cycles by necessity. He no longer can stand. His wattage output if he did stand (cardiovascular performance is hampered by sitting) would find him a "seat" on any AC boat save ETNZ. Bikes likely win the watt challenge.

However, the power output delta between male and female cyclists is far less than the difference between the respective gender's arm-crank power output. Women should have no problem if using bikes.

The other factor is how the system is engineered, and how the rules may restrict the pressure storage. All the teams use three pressure storage units as allowed.

Last edited by DanWeiss on Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: