myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Americas Cup 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrgybe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanWeiss wrote:
The real question is what amount of energy is sufficient for a race given the conditions and technology used to transfer, store and deploy the human generated energy. Perhaps a team of women can generate the necessary peak wattage in short bursts and a maximum over the most difficult race.

If that were the case, and women have been excluded because of some unworthy motive, the teams would have selected smaller, lighter, less strong males to gain a weight advantage. The heart rate of the current grinders is in the 90% plus range throughout the race, and they are not infrequently struggling to maintain hydraulic pressure. These are men that can bench 350. At this level of racing, every detail of boat and human performance is analyzed. As Westender points out, if it made more sense to include one or more women, it surely would have happened.

This was not intended to start a social debate, rather to celebrate a great spectacle. The Kiwi vs Team Oracle final should be outstanding entertainment.
konajoe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The racing seems to be the same as the formula racers on this forum describe. Bare minimum tacks and jibes. Nobody tries to tack or jibe away from the boat in the lead, because the faster the boat/board, the more penalty there is for tacking and jibing. Long boards, and other slow boats, are the only ones that try to take or jibe away from boats ahead of them, to get into different wind conditions.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
DanWeiss wrote:
The real question is what amount of energy is sufficient for a race given the conditions and technology used to transfer, store and deploy the human generated energy. Perhaps a team of women can generate the necessary peak wattage in short bursts and a maximum over the most difficult race.

If that were the case, and women have been excluded because of some unworthy motive, the teams would have selected smaller, lighter, less strong males to gain a weight advantage. The heart rate of the current grinders is in the 90% plus range throughout the race, and they are not infrequently struggling to maintain hydraulic pressure. These are men that can bench 350. At this level of racing, every detail of boat and human performance is analyzed. As Westender points out, if it made more sense to include one or more women, it surely would have happened.

This was not intended to start a social debate, rather to celebrate a great spectacle. The Kiwi vs Team Oracle final should be outstanding entertainment.

Oh the factors of which we know not of but about which we might only speculate that go into crew selection. So very many considerations.

The first crew team of OTUSA is not the most burly men available. OTUSA could've found those guys. OTUSA clearly wanted Olympic sailing medalists, sailing World Champions and experienced AC sailors from the past go 'round. Maximum energy production is not the end-all-be-all for OTUSA. Of course, OTUSA's factors may contribute to an eventual failed defense of the Cup!

Therefore, it follows that others that posses talents apart from max wattage may provide the best benefit. Unless you know something specific about the energy needs of these boats, and please share it if you do, we can only guess where that perfect balance resides, including maximum burst output and total wattage produced during the most grueling race expected. It might be that women could produce sufficient power. We just don't know, because no team has shared its data.

DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that Emirates New Zealand with its bicycling grinders won America's Cup, is the normal muscle power difference between men and women less of a factor? (I'm assuming bicycle style grinding will sweep out arm powered grinding.)

I'm wondering about nw30's assertion, that any sport would suffer with a mandate requiring a 50/50 mix on a team. Let's assume the performance level at least in the early years would go down, but interest from women in the sport would go up. I believe that scenario would result in a large increase in public interest in the sport which would be a significant gain for the sport.
westender

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the AC boat owners think they need to grow the sport or expect any gain from the racing other than winning or advancing the technology? Unless you have a product to sell, who cares about the packaging? Is there a cash prize or big trophy?
mrgybe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanWeiss wrote:
The first crew team of OTUSA is not the most burly men available. OTUSA could've found those guys. OTUSA clearly wanted Olympic sailing medalists, sailing World Champions and experienced AC sailors from the past go 'round. Maximum energy production is not the end-all-be-all for OTUSA. Of course, OTUSA's factors may contribute to an eventual failed defense of the Cup! Therefore, it follows that others that posses talents apart from max wattage may provide the best benefit. Unless you know something specific about the energy needs of these boats, and please share it if you do, we can only guess where that perfect balance resides, including maximum burst output and total wattage produced during the most grueling race expected. It might be that women could produce sufficient power. We just don't know, because no team has shared its data.

Since you wish to persist with the social justice theme, let's at least be familiar with the current rules, which dictate a crew weight limit of 525kgs. That's why they didn't have "the most burly men available", they had relatively smaller men with enormous power to weight capabilities. Women simply can't generate that kind of power. If you have any evidence to suggest that they were generating more power than was needed, please enlighten us. The evidence of our eyes, watching boats fall off the foils, tells us otherwise. The helmsman or skipper spots don't require that same level of power output, so could conceivably been female. Larry Ellison and other owners presumably chose individuals for those spots that gave them the best chance of winning. If you believe that they did so for chauvinistic reasons, I simply don't agree with you.
B737

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thread drift:

I thought you guys might appreciate this. We were flying EWR to SFO years back, flight attendant came up front and wanted me to check on something in first class. I went back and to my surprise saw this being strapped into a seat. i spoke to the 'handler' and discovered it was in fact the Americas Cup trophy being transported to sfo, it even had its own first class ticket Smile was really cool to talk to the handler and learn the traditions involved with its transportation.

and yes that is a custom louis vuitton case slumming it in a 737 Wink

Fanatic Freewave 95l 240cm

Last edited by B737 on Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:43 am; edited 2 times in total
dmilovich

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dissatisfaction (brought up on page 1, above) about the AC not including women rests on my idea that the Americas Cup should be a universally appealing event. Nothing more, nothing less.

For reference, y'all take a look at the excerpted wording below from the "Deed of Gift" (Wikipedia) that established the Cup challenge and see what you think the intent was and the possibilities could be:

"This Cup is donated upon the condition that it shall be preserved as a perpetual challenge Cup for friendly competition between foreign countries."

"The Club challenging for the Cup and the Club holding the same may by mutual consent make any arrangement satisfactory to both as to the dates, courses, number of trials, rules and sailing regulations, and any and all other conditions of the match..."

Would a 50/50 male/female crew be faster or slower? Who cares? It'd be more fun to watch (for me, anyway), appeal to more people and inspire more female sailors. More sailors in the world would be a good thing. I love sailing in all its forms.

@B737 - Great thread drift, thanks!
mrgybe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand where you are coming from, but respectfully disagree. Would the NBA be more fun to watch with 50/50 teams? How about the NFL or NHL? Would that increase the audience size.......or the reverse? I don't see any shortage of women watching men play those sports or calls for women to be linebackers. Most sports fans want to see the very best and it is the sight of unparalleled excellence that inspires people to take up a sport. Mediocrity in pursuit of diversity is likely to have a dampening impact on audience appeal, and I, for one, would certainly care if the boats went slower because the crew's effectiveness had been diminished. The intent of the owners is clear.........they want to design and sail a boat faster than anyone else on the planet and they will do what it takes to make that happen. That's the allure. I don't see any case for telling them how they must spend their own money.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One has to ask, would ballet, opera or orchestral music be the same if the owners and promoters played by the rules we do in sports sometimes?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: