myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Normal mast on inflatable windsup?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qwertyjjj

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Normal mast on inflatable windsup? Reply with quote

I was thinking of getting an inflatable windsup for ease of city storage and also light wind sailing.
Can you put a normal carbon mast on these or does it have to be an inflatable mast?
grantmac017

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes of course. Few people use the inflatable rigs but lots use conventional.
qwertyjjj

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
Yes of course. Few people use the inflatable rigs but lots use conventional.

And you can generally use a smaller sail with the inflatable than a hard board?
I've seen a jp all round air for a good price, 2015 model. Are these any good.
Also some starboards but the ones with fixed fins.
I don't really understand their concept of fixed fins since they're screwed in making gybing difficult since you can't raise them whilst on the water.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Normal mast on inflatable windsup? Reply with quote

qwertyjjj wrote:
I was thinking of getting an inflatable windsup for ease of city storage and also light wind sailing.
Can you put a normal carbon mast on these or does it have to be an inflatable mast?

You say, you want to use it for light wind sailing? Can you please post what your wind speed is, for light wind sailing?

And you ask about sail sizes... and fixed fins that are screwed in.

I don't have any experience with the JP so can't comment anything about it.

I do have two inflatable WindSUP's that I've sailed a bit and used for teaching. All in light wind from 1 to 10 knots (maybe a brief sesh in 12 knots, once).
Exocet Discovery 10'6" and a Chinook 11'6" RaceTour (race tour is just a name, I wouldn't compete on it).
You can put any size sail on them, and they will work for sailing around in those wind speeds. However BIG sails are not recommended for long life for these models!
These are lightwind, fun cruising, and gliding-around boards. I'm careful with my gear, but I don't expect these to last for 25 years, like my hardboards do.
They suggest using medium size sails on these two, like 7.5m and smaller (5 to 6.5 is great)! And the reason is that big, heavy, powerful rigs will definitely put more stress on everything!! And so I am following that advice, cause I want them to last. And I don't want a blow-out in the middle of the lake.
The two I have are not meant for planning or high speeds, they don't have footstraps, and they have basic, lightweight, simple fins. These are not for high performance... but they are fun and they work REALLY well for what they're designed to do.
Fin configuration?
Inflatable WindSUP's come with many different fin set-ups. For me, I want a tail fin (like all windsurfer's have)... and I want a center mounted fin (like a small centerboard). The fins and finboxes on mine are light duty, simple designs... and so far they work great. For me, using these in the light wind I said above, and teaching with them in those wind speeds... I wanted this fin arrangement for good tracking, and to make sailing up and down wind good and effective.
And I'm very happy with both boards!!
And all the students have really liked them, they are very stable, yet have good glide.
They are also stiffer than I thought they'd be. I'm 200 lbs and I have crashed through, and up and over, big boat wake chop (in summer, our lakes are full of pleasure boats flying around). I mean, yes, they do flex... these are not carbon raceboards. To me, they flex about like a 1986 Obrien Sensation which was an inexpensive poly longboard. Except these two weigh about half what the Sensation weighed !!
The newer sailors don't know anything about carbon raceboard stiffness, so they never mention it... to them, these are just very fun and effective.

The major advantages of these two are -
They're lightweight and easy to carry around. 27-29 lbs each.
They sail well on all points of sail.
They tack and jibe very well... just like any longboard in light wind.
They're stable. And you can SUP them.
They roll up into the included bag, or you can leave them inflated and put them on a roof rack like a hard board. Although use common sense here.
A smaller guy or women can carry them and lift them up onto a roof rack.
You can transport them in the trunk of your car, take them up an elevator, or on a plane.
They seem well made and I expect some good years of use from them.
I'll be on both of them later today, Cheers Smile

nw30

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I don't really understand their concept of fixed fins since they're screwed in making gybing difficult since you can't raise them whilst on the water."

??? I can't say that I've ever seen one of those, surely you must be talking about a dagger board. Fins make gybing easier, in fact they make everything easier.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Normal mast on inflatable windsup? Reply with quote

qwertyjjj wrote:

Sorry. you asked can you put a normal mast on them?
I already answered that... but to be clear... are you asking if you can use a regular windsurfing rig on these?
Answer - YES !!
You use any regular windsurf rig with a single bolt mastbase, they're all standardized. The only caution, I already mentioned... I generally use sails 7m and smaller, which is what the suggest for the two I have. I would never put my 11m FW rig on one!!

gregnw44

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
"I don't really understand their concept of fixed fins since they're screwed in making gybing difficult since you can't raise them whilst on the water."

??? I can't say that I've ever seen one of those, surely you must be talking about a dagger board. Fins make gybing easier, in fact they make everything easier.

To qwerty - I described the fin set up on the two I have, above. These are sailed in non-planning mode. Jibing is exactly like any longboard with a centerboard. I always leave my centerboard down on my longboards - raceboards - Kona One races - etc. For sailing in light wind, it's more stable. Turns are not affected... in fact, I think it's better to have your centerboard down for these lightwind transitions. People used to sailing longboards in light wind (1-12 knots) would not notice any difference sailing the two inflatables I have.

qwertyjjj

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the starboard boards have a back fin and a center fin (both screwed in). You cannot lift the center fin like a dagger board whilst on the water you would have to stop on the beach and unscrew it.
I was told it's very hard to gybe with the dagger down since it will want to push you back upwind. This is why the dagger is lifted for gybing. Yet with a center fin you can never lift it whilst in the water.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it's very easy to jibe a longboard with the dagger down in
sub-planning conditions, but you should weight the windward rail
rather than the leeward rail. I'd guess an inflatable with a center fin
would snap right around the same way.

-Craig

qwertyjjj wrote:
A lot of the starboard boards have a back fin and a center fin (both screwed in). You cannot lift the center fin like a dagger board whilst on the water you would have to stop on the beach and unscrew it.
I was told it's very hard to gybe with the dagger down since it will want to push you back upwind. This is why the dagger is lifted for gybing. Yet with a center fin you can never lift it whilst in the water.
qwertyjjj

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
Actually it's very easy to jibe a longboard with the dagger down in
sub-planning conditions, but you should weight the windward rail
rather than the leeward rail. I'd guess an inflatable with a center fin
would snap right around the same way.

-Craig

qwertyjjj wrote:

Why windward? Isn't that the complete opposite technique to a carve gybe? Also, can't you do it flat?
Why then has every teacher told me to lift the dagger before gybing? Confused Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: