myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gear advise for a windy day
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nodak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:55 am    Post subject: Gear advise for a windy day Reply with quote

Here's the forecast for this Friday. I have to tack a couple of times to sail clear of the bay where I live. I'd like to use the Kona + 39 or 42cm fin and a 7.0 Superfreak. Is 220L Kona too big a board for these wind conditions? The center board sure makes it easier going upwind on my way back home.

Alternatively I can use a 128L Rocket Wide LTD with same fin and sail. The only problem with it is I haven't sailed the Rocket since I bought it.

Friday forecast.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  55.98 KB
 Viewed:  18966 Time(s)

Friday forecast.jpg

lake map (1).jpg
 Description:
lake map
 Filesize:  43.38 KB
 Viewed:  18966 Time(s)

lake map (1).jpg

windward1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on your ability and comfort level. Looks like you could go out on the Kona midday and if feeling it is a bit rough as the wind strengthens later in the afternoon, go in and switch to the Rocket Wide. It should go upwind well in that amount of wind. No daggerboard needed.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slog out on the Rocket.

The other board would work, maybe but overpowered and not so much fun

Can you change boards easily ?

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
TheAdmiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Spent all day sailing my Rocket 128 wide carbon Fred Howard park, Tarpon Springs Fl. Morning7.5 sail,7-10 wind,slogged. Wind picked up to 10-12.5 ish andcould get planning 70% of the time. Rigged a 8.5 (2016) Sailworkswhich handles like my 7.5 Infinity. (love the boom cutout). Was able to plane all the time. Wind picked up to 18 ish and had already derigged 7.5 so stayed with the 8.5 ,but took some power out of it. The Rocket planes with very little effort. Let the sail load up ,move back an inch or two,and flick the leach(mini pump) and you'll be planning. This board is amazing. Really fast. Needs very little fin (used a 13.5 weed with an 8.5 sail and no spin out or side slip). It slogs o k and goes upwind good with decent wind. I would say this board is good into the low 20 mph. Board is fragile so beware. weight is a little over 15 lbs. I have a small RV to travel and this board is the one to take. I bought this board used for $1000 with board bag. Cost new over $2500. Let us know how you like the board.!!!! Mark
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve g. and i tested 9.8 sails on kona one earlier this year. wind was 15-25 mph. we had a blast with both sails when the wind was 15. as the wind came up, the improved version was still tons of fun. the old version became quite physical. only difference? 3 tube battens on the "new" model.

subtle tuning and some architecture can make a world of difference.

for those that will not, nor have not tried a kona one, this may sound like i am crazy, but until you try it, you will never know.....

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
gregnw44

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
steve g. and i tested 9.8 sails on kona one earlier this year. wind was 15-25 mph. we had a blast with both sails when the wind was 15. as the wind came up, the improved version was still tons of fun. the old version became quite physical. only difference? 3 tube battens on the "new" model.

subtle tuning and some architecture can make a world of difference.

for those that will not, nor have not tried a kona one, this may sound like i am crazy, but until you try it, you will never know.....

I think both boards the OP is talking about will be fine... it will all depend on his skill, experience and fitness.
And I agree with jingebritsen that the Kona One works very well in 15-25mph wind. I'm 200 lbs and have used the Kona 9M in those conditions... and I could put any appropriate sail on it. For my average ability, the board is really easy and great fun sailing in 15-20. And it works fine for me in 20-25, but this takes more skill and experience.
And you don't need the Kona centerboard for going up wind, if you're powered up fully planning, In those wind speeds, if you have the skill, you can sail upwind faster by retracting the CB and just using the fin. But the nice thing about a high performance longboard like the Kona is... if the wind drops, then you can drop the CB and can keep going as needed.

gvogelsang

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any access to the lake at the Southwest corner or the Northeast corner of the lake?

That would make launching much easier for the Rocketwide.
rollerrider

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small lakes are usually very gusty making small boards a bit difficult. If you have to struggle to get out into clean wind and when you get out there it is still gusty I think you would be better off on the Kona with the smallest fin.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kona will work fine in strong winds, but it might be more fun on the rocket. I'd test the waters first on the Kona, and if you're feeling confident, try the rocket.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I get a new board, I can't wait to give it a ride. Even if its a bit to big or small for the conditions. The only way to know how the board will work at you local spot is to give it a ride. Of course the new board will feel a bit strange at first, but if it was the same as the old one, you bought the wrong board. The Rocket Wide is a very early planning board. Once up to speed, you should have no issues getting back upwind and home. It will not glide in the lite wind as easy as the Kona. But it will slog you home just fine. Skill and weight depending. Looks like your wind is mostly side shore or side off from your home. Getting back should not be to much of an issue. Should make for smooth water near shore. So 20 to 30 mph winds later in the day I would be looking for a 4.2 sail and a 85 liter board... I'm 165lbs. If your in the straps and harness, can make a few turns and you can water start, that new board might be kinda big. Again weight and skill play a huge part. For my skill and weight I might think that board and sail is getting big when the wind is hitting 15 with gusts to 20. I would you tell you to take it out as soon as it starts to blow to learn how to balance, and where to stand on the board. See how well you can slog it back up wind before you might need to. Make sure you can up haul and you should be good to go even in the lite wind. You can learn a bunch about your new board before it nukin 20/30mph.......if this is your first smallish board, don't get frustrated. it might take a few times out to make it all come together. Enjoy the ride..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: