myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
My experience with a Bic/Ker foil (big buy )
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grantmac017

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wind-NC.com wrote:
boardsurfr wrote:

Andy usually knows what he's talking about, so I do not doubt the rock-solid claim.
But the foil test in the recent German surf magazine states that the AFS-1 foil is very hard to control, and requires more skills than any of the other foils in the test in jibes. The board AFS-1 is also much narrower than any of the other foil boards in the test. surf also tested the AFS-2 foil, and stated it was their first choice over the AFS-1, without any doubt. However, the AFS-2 might not yet be available.
The Neil Prude aluminum foil also did very well in the test, and got comments about the very solid connections. It can be disassembled, making transport easier.

Yes, the AFS-1 with original wing is sensitive and is a great cross over wing for SUPping in waves, too. The bonus there is that if you put your time in on it, it rewards with sports car maneuverability... So as with anything it is always a trade off.

Everyone who has tried the AFS-1 has been able to get decent rides within ten or fifteen minutes, so it's not like it's impossible to use or something.

If you want more stability for blasting straight line windsurf foiling, and easier jibing, they have introduced a second front wing called the MK2. It takes zero tools except for your fingers, and about 30 seconds to change wings on the AFS-1 with their unique attachment system.

I have a feeling that the mag test used the original front wing, and not the new MK2 wing. The AFS-1 with MK2 wing would be my best recommendation for rock solid durability and construction in a well performing, stable windsurf foil.

Since you mentioned it, the AFS-2 is actually available now, but it utilizes a much thinner layup in the mast and fuselage, and a regular deep tuttle box, and it's brand new... so I can't say with certainty how it would hold up for the 100kg+ folks. That said, it is regularly getting speeds of over 25 knot 500 m runs, so it is definitely a performance oriented wing if you want to drag race your buddies.

My goal in introducing the OP to the AFS-1 was to make him aware of a rock solid foil with time tested results.

The NP stuff looks really great, too, but is virtually impossible to get at the moment unless you placed an order a long time ago. They hope to be caught up within a month or two, so it won't be a huge wait if you want to go that route.

Cheers! Very Happy

Is the deep tuttle head flanged like the Slingshot or Horue?
gregnw44

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

< Is the deep tuttle head flanged like the Slingshot or Horue? >

Not sure about Horue (I'm not looking at their website at the moment)... but for sure, it's LP and Slingshot which have flanged support, for the deep Tuttle mast/strut insert.

And yes, curious what other foils have this small support for the vertical lift of the foil, helping to protect windsurf boards.

Brian.bigfella@gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an XXL sailor who's considering foiling, I was wondering if anyone has tried things like plates that are on the market? I'm thinking about turning my Super Lightwind into a foil board but the current fin box wouldn't last long.

Sorry for getting a bit off-topic.

http://www.windance.com/Windsurf/Windsurf-Foils/PowerPlate-Windsurf-Foil-Plate/35287/
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the SWest forum for Bert's experience with power plate.
Seems it's a negative, as even at his size, 160 lbs or so, the screws get loose really quickly, needing Loctight to hold.
Consider how much more leverage you're adding to the equation with a huge mast (the fin part), and your weight when pumping the board onto a plane.
I"m sure reinforcing your tuttle box woulld solve the load problem.
motogon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, what is the price for AFS-2? Is it $419 as it shown on Foils page or $2049?
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:

Is the deep tuttle head flanged like the Slingshot or Horue?

Hi, the AFS-2 does not have a flange. AHD's freerace and slalom boards are now coming with fin boxes pre-built for foiling, so I guess they don't think that it's necessary.

http://wind-nc.com
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

starik333 wrote:
Andy, what is the price for AFS-2? Is it $419 as it shown on Foils page or $2049?

The website defaults to showing the least expensive variant's price on the main page. $419 is a wing only price, if you wanted to add a second size of wing to your AFS-2. The complete AFS-2 with one front wing of any size costs $2049.

http://wind-nc.com
jshalabyLOeO

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: One year laster on the Bic Techno foil Reply with quote

In my previous post I talked about my experience with the fragility of the Bic/ Ker foil. After it broke a third time last season, Isthmus replaced it with a carbon LP. I haven't had any problem with the LP school and in fact really love it! I've gotten pretty good now and have increased my speed, am making most my jibes and have been getting out consistently on the bay as well as Rio Vista in low and high winds conditions. It got 1 log hard but no damage, a lot of fish and even a sand bar in Emeryville. It's amazingly strong! Doing Rio Vista this am.
csc

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject: Bic KerFoil Reply with quote

Been using the Bic Ker Foil for 3 years. It starts getting lift at 8 knots. Easy to get on a plane and very fast. Works best on shorter boards.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
There's a reason big guys don't race motocross, road races, cars, or just about anything do to with performance.
In windsurfing, Antoine is around 235, as was Bjorn in his prime, all the speed sailors, and some of the old World Cup racer's.
And they broke gear like there is no tomorrow.
If everyone made gear catered to the big boys, the prices would go sky high...more than now.
And most breakages are accredited to what is known as an ACCIDENT. Which is not normal use, sailing around at 22 mph and not falling catastrophically.

Normal size in windsurfing is 175lb, for fin, sails and board recommendations.
215 is a pretty big person.

I guess Lee never saw Brad Lackey win 500cc World Championship, Bay Area guy, Broc Glover was pretty big. Nigel Mansell won both Indy Car and Formula 1 titles.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: