myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
2 harness line scenarios
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J64TWB

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: 2 harness line scenarios Reply with quote

1st. situation (good, I think).

I like to be able to shlog in the harness lines. What I really mean is, I sail in real gusty inland lakes in the midwest so some days when it’s 5-25 mph I need to be able to hang out in the harness at sometimes a dead stop with my feet in the straps waiting, preying for an instant (crazy) gust to get me going again. If it doesn't come in the next few seconds I get out of the straps and on my tip toes and can release the harness line. In other words, I am able to stand on the board at a dead stop without using my hand to release the line. Just barely that is.

2nd situation (bad)

Heading into a gybe, I get out of the harness line, release my back foot, initiate the gybe and..crap! I just got hooked in again! It totally messes with me.

Questions.
1. How many of you are able to stand on your toes and release your line without using your hand at a dead stop? Is this a good thing? Sometimes my setup is just a little to high and I have to use my hand on the tips of my toes, but in gusty conditions it throws me off and I can fall in when the wind dies. I don't like getting out of the harness (or straps) unless it is a last resort.

2. On the 2nd issue of re-hooking the line when I initiate the gybe. Is it a result of bad technique or line length/boom height issue? This one really bugs me. I suspect pilot error.

I am 5-8, use 28” lines, run the boom about 1 inch above shoulder and use XT seat.

Thanks for you help on this.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What board let's you sit dead stop in the straps?
J64TWB

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magic Ride 104. Used with 4.7 through 7.5

I guess I am exaggerating on the dead stop, rather totally dead wind. Only for a second until the tail sinks.

Last edited by J64TWB on Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my small boards allow me to stand in the footstraps for a little while, less than a full minute, and continue slogging to wait for more wind. This is mainly important for landing big high jumps with little forward momentum, stay in the straps, and wait for another gust to come.
You can buy adjustable length harness lines, shorten them for planing conditions, and lengthen for slogging conditions.
I need to jump about 6" off my boards to unhook when I hit a lull in the wind, no biggee, I should be looking upwind and predicting the moment anyways, if I"m sailing anywhere near awake.
I also have to jump, but not as high, to hook in while slogging, to relieve pressure on tired arms.
J64TWB

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jumping 6" into the harness line? I have never tried that. Does it jerk the boom down when you land? Is this a normal technique for getting in and out of lines? I am only free ride blasting.
kmf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that if you are hooking back in during a gybe, that you are pulling the boom in toward the body during your transition. Keep the sail and boom away from you. Give yourself some room.

Kmf
windward1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluefish,

The tiptoe technique is fine if it works for you. It works for me (on some of my boards).

The hooking in inadvertently during a jibe is a real pain in the arse. To avoid that, crouch more during the jibe. If your knees are more bent, the butt and waistline, and therefore the hook, move farther away from the lines and avoids 'the hook'.

W1
manuel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Having harness lines long enough to slog hooked in is ideal. Shouldn't need to tiptoe. Finding the right combo, lines length, boom height, mast track position take some time. What is your height, boom height and line length?

2. Getting hooked back in happens often, it's part of the game! Non swinging lines help, line hooking area sense (develop with experience), and keeping sail away, straightening arms, twisting hips away and out of direct alignment with the hook, all of this helps. The worst is clew first.

jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

universal trip: for lots of standard moves, the sail leads the sailor and kit thru transitions. keeping the sail away with straight arms a big asset.

furthermore, crouching helps lots in lots of moves too.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: 2 harness line scenarios Reply with quote

bluefish1 wrote:
On the 2nd issue of re-hooking the line when I initiate the gybe. Is it a result of bad technique or line length/boom height issue?

Technique. You're keeping the rig too close to your body. While your knees are bent into the turn your head and torso should be more upright over the carving rail. Front arm extended as per Jingebritsen's comment.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: