myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Formula fin on Kona?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coachg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any day of sailing is a great day of sailing. Hmmm, now where did I hear that? Wink

Coachg
gregnw44

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Formula fin on Kona? Reply with quote

kalaniwavo wrote:
Current light wind setup is a Kona One with Ezzy Infinity 9.5 with cams. Sailing open ocean in the gulf of Mex, and it seems like the bottom end of my ability to plane is 15mph. I've made a lot of progress with my technique to get on a plane pumping and using mast base pressure but I would like to plane up and stay up in lighter winds. I'm 6'3 210lbs.

Short story is buying another board or huge rig is out the question. Would a larger fin help? Formula 70cm fin? Or would a different sail around the same size help (so I can avoid buying another mast/boom)

OR, am I stuck slogging around all summer here until the cold fronts start rolling thru again?

Reading your original post here... I have another thought that (I think) will make way more difference than a few cm's more fin. And yes, I read that you don't have a budget for a huge rig. Are you talking new jumbo rig? If you saved for a bit, would there be budget for a used jumbo rig?
I'm 6'3" and 200 lbs. (so, very close to you) and will easily be planing in 12-14 mph wind on a Kona One, stock fin, with a 10.5 or 11m cambered sail. Buy something old and used for cheap. You're not racing, you just need more power to get planing. Meaning, you don't need the latest hi-tech super fast race sail

Where I am, we WISH we had "lots of days with 12-14 wind", cause that's a lot for us, normally it's much lighter.
Next, depending on the size boom and mast and mast extension you have you might not need to buy all new boom and mast. Maybe something you already have will fit a jumbo sail. They are all cut differently, you just have to shop. Or maybe your boom will work, but you will need a new mast. And or, you might find a fixed mast base extender, which will make whatever mast you have longer.

There are companies out there, that sell used big sails. I don't have a link for you right now, but you can find them. Get the specs for luff length and boom length... try to fine something that will be as close we you can get so you don't have to buy all new stuff.

jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 words:

learn to pump

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 more:

gibe in gusts

joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just do it Smile
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalaniwavo,

Where do you live? If you are interested in a bigger rig, I have an 11.0 Maui Sails TR-3 race sail, Hawaiian Proline carbon boom and Maui Sails 550 100% carbon mast that I don't use anymore. All in good to excellent shape.

I weight 168 and have used it on my formula board, but for me, the wind range is limited and I now sail in gusty conditions. Anything over 15-18 mph is too much of a struggle for me on that rig, so if a 9.2 doesn't do it, I don't go out on the formula. I live North Carolina.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that 11m that Techno has would be great on your Kona sailing in 1 to almost 20 mph wind. You're 6'3" and 210 lbs so you'd handle it easily. Tuning and very good skills and experience would be needed to use it in the conditions between 15 and 20... and Techno's sweet mast and boom would get the most performance out of it, in those conditions!! But any "good enough" mast and boom will work with that sail, for a big dude like you in 1-15 mph wind, just to get some more power!
And like Jingebritsen says, good pumping skills will get you a few more planning rides. Although, both your posts say that you are pumping, so I assume you know how to do that.
And I TOTALLY agree with what Del said - you should NOT be sitting on the beach when it's 12-14 (as you said). Getting on the water every chance you get will build skills and experience. This sport is NOT just about planning (not that there's anything wrong with that) but there is plenty of enjoyment to be had, just out sailing and being on the water.
It's also fun is going to some Kona races... and if there's none near by... just get all the local longboards out sailing with you... find some buoys and do some longboard racing, it's REALLY fun in 5-15 mph wind and you'll learn a ton!!

kalaniwavo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks you all for the great info! I'm in west Florida (tampa area) currently, but only for another year or so and most likely moving to the outer banks, or possibly the san fran bay area. so trying to throttle back on gear (at least the expensive gear) until I have an idea. Could be that I will need MUCH smaller sails very soon too. I'll keep an eye on CL though for now.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

either destination: keep the kona one.

happiness is moving from florida to a windier spot.

i would choose san fran, as expensive as it may be.....

techno900

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the Outer Banks has great windsurfing (ocean and sound), winter would likely be a bummer. If you like isolation, then maybe ok, but little or nothing going on for about 4+ months of the year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: