myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Foil comparison.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stringp

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Foil comparison. Reply with quote

Has anyone seen a side by side performance review for foils. Specifically LP vs Slingshot? I'm wondering if the Slingshot foil has the upwind and down wind capability of the LP.
stringp

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: My answer Reply with quote

Ok. I'll answer my own question. I prefer the Slingshot FWind1 over the LP. It has a surfier feel. The upwind performance was about the same. That being said I'm pert near 60 and I'm not looking for high performance. It does not bother me if the conventional windsurfers blow by me. The LP may be a little faster, but I'm riding a Dialer strapless so who cares. $0.02.
stringp

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Conditions Reply with quote

I should add that my average sail size is probably 4.2 at Stevenson. I weigh 200lb.[/b]
macesix

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What wind speed for that size of sail?

How steep can you bite up into the wind with a foil?
stringp

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:43 am    Post subject: wind speed Reply with quote

the wind speed question is tough to answer. I rig for the gusts since I don't like being over powered. so 4.2 would be upper teens to 20ish.
the foil will go upwind at a much greater angle than a windsurfer. I find the problem to be getting back down wind. unhooking and surfing swells is all I can come up with.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same weight, same foil, less consistent wind. Usually using 6-8.5m on an old formula board. Wish I had something around 70-75cm instead since this foil doesn't need that much leverage. Not particularly fast but it feels like upwind angle is more a function of sail design than stalling the foil. I frequently use a late 90's tight leech with cams that holds shape when sheeted out. RAF sails that fully depower are harder to deal with in gusty conditions.
stringp

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where does this 8.5 happen?
I got on some 2004 Northwave ZX's today. 3.2 and later 4.2 so much better than my Surflites.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up near bellingham. Lots of seattle people on foils are using +8m sails in 8-15mph winds.
I did use a 5.7 ZE and found it works okay but not as easy as the older cammed stuff. NP MPRs seem especially good with their single cam.
gorky

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stringp,
Are you able to carry your board and rig together up and down the launch at Stevenson?
stringp

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Big man Reply with quote

The big man Eric does. He has an LP though. I throw the sail in the water and then walk the board down.
Can't get my mind around an 8.5. I was on a 5.1 today and it felt huge.[/b]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: