myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Foil comparison.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stringp

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Fast dudes Reply with quote

I've noticed a trend in conventional windsurfers blowing by within what seems like inches. As a general warning I'm subject to explosion at any second and foils are sharp. I know I'm in the slow lane but it's a big river.[/b]
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what most windsurfer's do to kiters.
Foiler's should get more room also, as most are still learning a new sport.
westender

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kooks in town. Did they have their Hatchery Face on? Rolling Eyes
grantmac017

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a chance to really focus on getting good angles tonight using a 7.4 in 12-15 mph. Board angle and foot pressure gets fairly critical but when you get it right the angles are extremely good with decent speed. Also running deep downwind has started to be less terrifying.

I'm definitely still if the opinion that freeride foils do best with narrower boards based on having 4 of us out this evening on everything from a formula down to an old 72cm slalom.
stringp

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Deep downwind Reply with quote

How does this deep down wind happen. Foil-Academy says "Put that one in your back pocket". I would like to travel around more. I do have fears of ending up in a swell where I couldn't up haul.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balance over centerline and sail sheeted out. Haven't succeeded in anything but dead flat water. Busting through chop from behind was catapult city.
A8A8

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info on the slingshot foil. Did you use the flight school masts to progress? My usual under 15 mph set up was raceboard and 9.5 sail, but a couple of weeks ago the mast snapped and ripped up the luff tube on the 9.5 so I am in shopping mode. Seems like a good time to try something different. Also, are you pleased with the dialer board? I have a 2008 go 155 that I was thinking would be a good board to begin with
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foil vs Formula is an interesting ...equation?
Seems Formula can start pretty well, maintain upwind angles and speed, then lack angle downwind, when Foil starts to use VMG and go deeper but possibly slower. Just like the old question of bigger sail vs smaller sails for Formula.
And it seems, for course racing, the sail size difference between Formula and Foil might only be 2-3 meters.
But, I always thought...wrongly, that the reason for windsurf foiling was light wind capabilties. Now it seems foiling is a sport and feel onto itself, a departure from windsurfing, but still a brother.
stringp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Zz Reply with quote

The Dialer is a great board. Things where they are supposed to be. Pumps up nice.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject: Nationals Reply with quote

Nationals start tomorrow, so we'll see....for course racing, the featured event, and possibly for slalom.
A few of the boys are practicing both Formula and Windsurf Foil for the course racing action, probably choosing which according to sea state, wind speeds, and feel.
Appear's the winds will be in the 14-25 range, up on the course halfway up the main pier, up to the top of the main pier.
Slalom action later each day, will be from the gap in the main pier down to near Lordship's level, but probably above also.
Freestyle is slated each day, usually the judges are sitting on the jetty just upwind of the Lordship's Restaurant.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: