myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Foil comparison.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ImmigrantJesus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StringP - saw you at Stevenson - why the 4.2? You say you don't mind people blowing by you, but it was obvious to me you were seriously underpowered. There is slow and there is crawling - you were absolutely crawling with that small sail. I have not foiled, but you left me wondering why I ever would. Are you just being cautious or is this a function of something else that is going on?
westender

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the P is doing great now. Mythical Foil Jibes and all. I do need to be careful with my compliments though. Last time I tried it they started arguing with me. Rolling Eyes
stringp

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Zz Reply with quote

In my limited experience foils have one speed. So unlike a fin which you can load with ever bigger sails to increase speed with a foil you might as well take out the minimum sail that you can pump onto a foil. The smaller sails actually increase your wind angles and are WAY easier to up haul.
Tony's H2 wing, which i run, has lots of lift, but is not a performance foil. It's very surfy but does not go fast. At $1K it's a relative bargain. LP has 3 foil sizes so with less lift you run a bigger sail and have more speed.
That being said the the LP's are $2K per so having a foil quiver is not a cheap date. Sailworks seems to be leading the way down the racing path with dual camber Flyer sails. Can't have one until September. Slingshot i.e. Tony is coming out with an H3 performance foil that is plug and play on the existing fuse. September? They do not have plans for a full carbon mast and fuse to maximize performance. The Ghost Whisperer is strictly for kiters. That may change.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: